• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 found while driving around in my Deuce

Danger Ranger

Good for him. I don't want to see it parted out anyway. I want to see it saved. If Ferro's is worse (which I suppose it is now that I looked again) then there is all the more reason to save this one. Why does everything have to be deemed parts immediatly,huh? (<--rhetorical)

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well if the front sheet metal and wiring harness are save-able, and the engines not locked up, then I have a cab and soft top and ll the parts to put this truck back together as a tractor, IF IT IS SAVE-ABLE. We will see. when djones gets back in town he said he would take me over there to look at it more closely to see if shes a scrapper of a saver.

indy4x4fab

Banned
No werries I'm still tracking down the last two 1 1/8'' pins for my small tow bar that hold the feet to the tow bar. Wurst case I'll go to fastenal and buy three brand new 1 1/8'' grade 8 bolt with lock nuts.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No werries I'm still tracking down the last two 1 1/8'' pins for my small tow bar that hold the feet to the tow bar. Wurst case I'll go to fastenal and buy three brand new 1 1/8'' grade 8 bolt with lock nuts.
If this is a medium tb, it should use 1" pins for the adaptors, both to pin to the tb and to the lifting eyes, if the tb you are using takes 1 1/8" make sure the adaptors will fit the lift eyes and still pivot

indy4x4fab

Banned
Here's the my little tow bar (I call it little cause its smaller then my tank tow bar). She's old but shes solid and she's got a nice new clean paint job, which should last right up to the point when I unload it off the truck. I also included a couple pictures of my tank tow bar. And of the feet to make it fit the m35s, m809s, and m939s.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the adaptors in pic #4 will pin up BUT will NOT work on a deuce or 5t, it takes a different style adaptor to allow it to pivot,
the adaptor in pic #2 should use a 1" pin in the big holes and a 3/4" in the small hole

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well went and looked at the m54 and found out a few very nice things about it. It was depot rebuilt in 1970 (found the rebuild tag on the right side of the glove box), front clip sheet metal is all there but really could use new finders. The carb moves freely, and there's no critters nest in the carb. Battery box is gone, but I have a good used box that may need some repair. The bed is scrap steel not fixable, at all. The frames clean, no road salt rust. Dog bones are nice and tight. The farmer said that it ran 7 years ago when they parked it on the farm. I forgot to bring a braker-bar to see if the engine was free. I have sevral ideas for this m54 and all of them I'll be leaving the gasser a gasser. I'm thinking m52 tractor but leave the rear axles where they are and put a rear winch behind the tire carrier, and tool box. I'll be going back to talk to the farmer a week from saturday to talk to him about possibly doing a labor trade for the truck, he wants lights put in his two 30x90 pole barns, which right now have no lights. I told him I would give him 500 for the truck cab and chassis, and he could keep the bed for scrap. I figure 500 dollars and some electrical work and him buying all the materials sound fair to me semi fair, for putting lights in one barn.

Last edited:

123mack

I think your idea for a tractor is good. Make a headache rack and a winch setup like on a 10 ton M123 with single winch.

Last edited:

lew

I am thinking a case of OD green and she will look good as the day she was parked there. Which was from the looks of it atleast 15years or more! Spray paint party! I'd take the axles though!
WOW! that would be real feat to restore. That being said, a friend asked to store a W C in my yard while waiting for for bodyshop. He brought 2 pcs over and they looked about that bad. He's doing a full restoration.
If you decide to restore it I'll donate a case of Sherwin-william ordnance wash (primer) .
good luck,
Lew

indy4x4fab

Banned
Ran out of time this pass weekend to have time to talk to him ill try to get out there wed. to talk more with him. Recovered the m818 this pass weekend took three times longer then even I thought it would. Mr. Murffy left us alone for the most part but he sure did know how to eat up the time and slow us down. No major problems just a long trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks