• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2, Thanks Papabear!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've started a little more PM work. Drained the transmission oil. It wasn't pretty. It's always been hard to shift and a grinder. The oil I drained out was about like syrup. Waaay too thick for a transmission. I refilled it with 40 weight oil. Still grinds every now and then, but it's much better. I'm going to try double clutching it next drive. I'm guessing the t-case probably has the same gunk it it as well. I'm going to use some synthetic 75w90 in it. I got the chassis lubed as well on the 1,346,849 grease points. Then I'm going to drain and fill the axles. Just need to pick up two 5 gallon tubs of gear oil to start that. I've also got everything to change the oil as well, probably get to that this weekend as well. And I need to replace the headlamps as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Clicking right along...

Oil change - Check
Turned up pump two flats - Check
Changed t-case oil - Check

I'll change the headlamps tomorrow. Also need to figure out if the speedo cable is out or if I've got a dead speedo. Looks like the blower motor is frozen on the heater as well. aua

Trying to shop around for the best price on gear oil at the moment.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
There are no better people, as my mom used to say, than Papbear and the GA crew. He makes this hobby into a family event. We we are not limited to just him and his possie.. This site is loaded members who give all.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least yours had some oil in it! When I picked mine up it had been completely drained, the only fluids in it was in the two dead batteries. All together it cost me $700+ to fill her up. 75 gallons of hydraulic oil will set you back! But it is a great truck to use and soon to restore!

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went for a drive to put a $50 drop of fuel in it. Man it's cold natured. I had hardly any power to start with, and I had idled it for a good 15 minutes before I started out. Drove about 3 miles to the gas station and put a little drop ($50 doesn't go anywhere on diesel anymore) of fuel in it. I let it idle to the side and BS'ed a bit with a friend and the owners. It was up to 160F then. I had a good deal more power after that. On the way back I gave her all she had. Which is about 53mph. It certainly shows it's weight when it comes to engine braking. Err lack of it. rofl

I took a paint scraper to the flakes and moss. I'm going to haul out my pressure washer and start blasting the entire truck down. Then I'll wire brush the portions that didn't flake off. I'm thinking about just using the latex house paint on it due to the sheer size of this thing and all the nooks and crannies it has. I'm guessing 5 gallons MIGHT cover it.

Also the transmission shifts way better with 40wt oil in it.

:driver:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to work on some sheet metal patching this week and get everything prepped for paint. I'm working on it! fat lady sings

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I didn't do anything to the wrecker directly today. But I did goof around with my towbars. I picked up a set of heavy towbars from docfarmerall at the GA rally. But the feet use 1.5" pins. So I picked up a section of 1.5" OD 1" ID DOM tubing. I cut it down into four parts 1 3/16" long. I beveled them out a tad, then tapped them into place in the feet. The pins I picked up from tractor supply had some powdercoating on them. I opted to strip that off instead of enlarging the holes of the bushings and axle clamps. I've got to change out the wheel on my grinder and bevel down the inside shoulder of the feet. But they all pin together now at least. I'm going to cut down the pins and re-drill them shorter for this.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
those adaptors will work on the axle clamps BUT will NOT work on the bumper lift brackets

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
those adaptors will work on the axle clamps BUT will NOT work on the bumper lift brackets
Yeah, the bumper clevises aren't tall enough to clear the radius of the towbar foot. I was just making these for the axle clamps I had.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whahahahahaha.....

Just a bit of advice, bottle jacks do not work under the rear of a M543A2 on dirt. You can keep on pumping them, but the truck isn't going up. Just the bottle jack deeper into the ground. rofl

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I actually ended up using a 1ft x 1ft 1" thick steel plate under the jack to gain elevation the second time around. :driver:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have steel plates and blocks to spread the weight of the 819 on bottle jacks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have steel plates and blocks to spread the weight of the 819 on bottle jacks
Playing with all these heavy toys, I've learned it's important to keep chunks of plate steel, thick rebar, and steel pipe around. You're going to need something to spread weight, pry with, and use as a cheater bar! :driver:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a couple of cable come-a-longs and chain binders go a long way in helping also

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The M543A2 got a new set of Goodyear G177's today. I also adjusted the brake shoes while I had it apart. Didn't get a chance to drive it, as I went to the mud bog this afternoon. But the tires seem to not bulge as much as they did with the old NDCC's.

I'm probably going to get the truck sandblasted by a guy locally to prep it for paint next. I need to find a front bumper as well.

Attachments

budman67

I didn't realize the m816 came as a multi fuel known as the m543a2,changing
my wish list to a m543a2. Does the TM for the 816 the same for the m543a2?
It does look like it is. Is the m819 also in a M/F version as well?

Thanks guys for the pictures,they are a big help when reading the TM's[thumbzup]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
THE 819 is cummins 250 as all 809s, the 816 is a 816 (260 tm series) the 543 , 543a1, 543a2 as well as the 246s are the 211 tm series, the 246 is the 819 of the 211 series

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks