• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 Winner On GL

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
super nice truck, Ray Patton trucking brought my m816 home for me, great guy my wrcker came with no tools and missing a fuel pump, so you might not have beed able to drive it home.

rizzo

make sure they have a way to get it on the trailer. It will fit on a single drop, but will need to be lifted on. Cost me about $500 for wrecker to come over and lift it on.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy at the GL has been super helpfull, he says he has the equipment to load the wrecker, but how do I get it off the trailer when it gets home? I am driving over there next Wed. to see about getting it started. A couple of forum members have volunteered to help, if time allows. I already have a half dozen places that want me to drive it over for them to have a look at it. It will be a real novelty here in town.
James G.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the best price quote to date? And do they know what they are actually hauling? 850$ sounds almost too good to pass up, if they are actually able to transport it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I can find a dock around town that I can unload the truck as long as it is running. I don't know if my 7500lb. winch can unload a 34000lb. wrecker, even though I would only need to overcome rolling resistance to get it off the trailer as long as everything is level. The $850 and $1650 bid vanished once we went over the dimension of 34000lbs and 25 feet long. Currently the low bid is $2073, but there is a company in Little Rock that only runs flat beds and low boys so I am going to see if they have one dead heading back from the East cost to little Rock. I have talked to Ray Patton but he is pretty booked up right now and the GL folks want me gone, but they have been much more helpfull than I have seen in the past.
James G.

NEIOWA

rumplecat said:
I think I can find a dock around town that I can unload the truck as long as it is running. I don't know if my 7500lb. winch can unload a 34000lb. wrecker, even though I would only need to overcome rolling resistance to get it off the trailer as long as everything is level. ....
James G.
Don't forget that what you get rolling has to stop rolling. Hopefully without running into something valuable. On belay!!

rizzo

M1075 said:
My dream is to have a step deck trailer set up with these aluminum ramps. Wouldn't that make things easy?
I have a set of similar ramps made by the same company, but they only have a smaller rating. 12k per axle with a 10ft space between axles I think. I have used the 14ft section to load the 108 and semi tractors onto a drop deck. I have some 6foot sections that hook together with the pillars (Like in the pic)so I can load onto a reg height flatbed.I have not tried that yet though. the ramps I have would not hold the M543 so I had to have the wrecker come and lift it .(one end at a time)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we did not have a true tow bar available, we put a log chain through an 8' section of 3" steel pipe, connecting the chain to a shackle on each truck as close to the end of the pipe as possible. That way, you can pull and control the roll of the dead truck as long as you keep the pipe reasonably straight. Just doin't let it get on too much angle on steep downgrades or hard stops. I know this might scare someone, but for us improvising farm types this kind of thing has been used for years.
Regards Marti

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like I have found my shipper. I finally got in touch with the shipping company in Little Rock that only runs flatbed trucks, and a lot of them are returning from the East coast. Anyway $1700 looks like the final cost. But now I need a dock to unload on, Jason do you know of a dock here in NW Arkansas??? Anyway my trip over to Fort Bragg better be productive meaning I hope I can get the 543 running or I am going to have to develope a plan B.
James G.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can build a ramp to unload with, out of railraod cross ties. Stack several of them one on top of one another parrallel to the trailer until you reach the trailer height. Then make ramps with more cross ties bracing in the middle with more cross ties parrallel to the trailer and in the middle underneath the ramps.

I have used this system to load and unload several items including a 34k lbs Stuart tank. Should take about 12 ties give or take. Works on standard height trailers as well as drop decks.

Chuck

jasonjc

most any of the equipment Rental company have them. There is one at wagon wheel road and 540 they have one I bet they wouild let you use it I can't think of there name right now. Mite just check and see who's the colest to you.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am off tomorrow I will call around to see what I can find. Jason next time you ship give me a call, these guys have a ton of truck traveling back to Little Rock on a regular basis.
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am heading over to Ft. Bragg this Wed. taking a load of tools, I intend buying my fluids when I get there vs. carring the weight across the county. Filters, where is the best place to buy filters for a Multifuel, where do I find the part numbers,are they off the shelf parts or should I order them now?
James

jasonjc

the numbers are in the cross ref in the tec section. I've got a set and most of the auto stores have or can get them.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason:
Which ones should I replace immediately? I know I should inspect then replace, but this truck has been sitting for at least a year. I am going to take an airtank to blow the fuel lines out, what about the fuel tank, I know they don't want you to drain anything, I may take an extra gas tank for draining anyway.
James

rgregj

About filter availability: When I serviced my M35 last month the local NAPA store had all the filters (oil, fuel, air) and fluids in stock. You can actually order the parts off their web site too if there is something the local stores dont have. They also have a store locator page. Good luck with the move.

Greg Jackson
Spartanburg, SC
1966 M35A2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks