• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 boom extention

Jersey4x4

OK So here is something i have not seen or heard of anyone looking for. I need a little bit more reach with the boom on the m816 so I was thinking of building a lib for the end of the boom that would pin on. I understand that it would lower the lifting cab but I don't need weight just height and reach for a few jobs I have done. I was thinking a ladder type frame with 4 mounting points and a cable on the top running to a mounting point on the back of the boom with a stiff leg in the middle with a reverse turn buckle to put upward tension on the jib. I was thinking maybe 8 to 10 feet max on the length and it would only be set for single line pull so there is more then enough cable on the drum to reach the ground at full height. Has anyone done this before or seen anything on an 816? I know they use them on regular cranes but nothing commercial will fit, I tried. Any ideas or tips.:grd:

landfillman

I saw one on an 816 in Muscle Soals AL a few weeks ago. THe man was settin rafters on his house with it. His was made from pipe and pinned on like a crane jib. Ill swing by and see if its still there next week when I pick up my parts there. His was a little rough made but he had a slick idea. I have a friend that used one similar in a salvage yard that had one but he said the boom had to be kept in about 2 feet to keep from kinking. I think though that might have been abused lol.

Jersey4x4

Cool, a picture would be awesome. I want to try to make it look good and functional as well. That is similar to what I want it for but I also want to be able to set AC and Heat units on roofs of buildings. One of my customers is an HVAC guy and has to rent a crane about 3 times a month to do this and it is a $1000.00 charge every time. I figured I could save him %50 and be more reliable and not as large scale of an operation to do something so simple. He said the last time it took 15 min to lift and set the unit but 3 hours of crane setup due to the area it was in. The 816 is allot more flexible in parking the a hydraulic truck crane.

I saw one on an 816 in Muscle Soals AL a few weeks ago. THe man was settin rafters on his house with it. His was made from pipe and pinned on like a crane jib. Ill swing by and see if its still there next week when I pick up my parts there. His was a little rough made but he had a slick idea. I have a friend that used one similar in a salvage yard that had one but he said the boom had to be kept in about 2 feet to keep from kinking. I think though that might have been abused lol.

Start doing HVAC lifts in NJ and the good ol' boys will bust your knee caps.
I would be cautious about doing any paid work, with a modified crane. The liability will be huge.
You may want to look at the TM for the M819. It had more stick, I think about 6' more.

area52

Look at Cranetrucks posts on here, he has a knuckleboom crane but he added an extension to it. No cable on it but might give you some ideas.

Jersey4x4

I am one of those good ol' Jersey boys born and raised 5 min from Atlantic City. I am not lifting huge units, they at most would be 800lbs, they are just too big to hoist up a ladder lift. I am a licensed crane operator and asme cert welder from a previous life working for a concrete company(Wink Wink) As for the liability, here in NJ the toxic waste and oil refinery state, we breed lawyers almost as quick as green heads and the lawyers are more vicious and will sue you if you fart too loud in a rest room of a Home Depot so there is liability in everything. Accidents do happen but if you are safe about your job site and equipment it is at a min and if something goes wrong it is only a compressor that gets dropped 30' or so.:roll:

If a compressor falls on the ground and know one sees it, did it realy happen?

Start doing HVAC lifts in NJ and the good ol' boys will bust your knee caps.
I would be cautious about doing any paid work, with a modified crane. The liability will be huge.
You may want to look at the TM for the M819. It had more stick, I think about 6' more.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There was a guy near me that owned a wrecker service......he had added a jib to a M816 he had....I didn't get pics of it but it looked like he had taken a short end section of boom and pinned it on to the stock boom.

He could unpin it on one side and it would fold back along side the reg boom. The pulley at the end of the jib was removeable so the cable could be put back in it's original position.

It did not look like it could handle more than a ton but it did extend the reach by about fifteen feet.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 819 has a 26' reach,

I'm also a OLD certed crane op. you need to remember that it REAL easy to over load a jib, that is one reason that thay are built lighter then the main boom, if there is a MAJOR overload, you loose the jib, NOT the MAIN boom, a lot of these home made jibs are as strong or STRONGER then the main boom. a lattice boom is sorta forgiving, a hyd. boom is NOT, you start CHARGING the STRUCTUAL PERAMTERS, you get cracks or worse, things may NOT FAIL now, may fail later with almost NO load. Another thing to remember that EVERYTHING past to boom tip is LOAD, Jib, jib rigging, load, load rigging, hook and cable, not just what is being lifted, you will be SURPISED how fast the total weight adds up

The 816, at max. extension (18') is rated to lift 4000lb on outriggers, on rubber 3000lb, 800lb at the boom tip would put 8000lb on the boom tip if it was 10' from the boom tip, and as it gets further from the tip, the worse it gets. Cranes (the 816 has a crane) have roughly a 20% overload STRUCTUAL safety factor (not cable & rigging) tipping is 75 to 80%
of rated load, so you can see with just a few MODS you can get into trouble real easy and as I said above, just because something does not happen during the stress caused by overload, DOES NOT mean things were not stressed or that a event won't happen later even with NO overload

Last edited:
I have seen a few where the boom was whacked off just above the extension cylinder pin and another boom was welded to it (the added section was cut 4ft or 5ft below the pin)

Only draw back is now you have 4ft to 5ft more boom all the time - was thinking of making a replaceable extended boom for mine but not quite sure which method I like best yet...

Matt

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yep, I think there are four 819s on site, mine, DHs, DavePs, one more that I forgot, don't think there are any 246s, anybody ealse have a 246 or 819 please speak up

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our dearly departed friend, D8Dave has an M819. (only 45 miles from me!)

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea how many were made? (M819)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Any idea how many were made? (M819)
Good question, think more 246s then 819s, I know VERY FEW compared to the full wrecker, because of the special mission design

Maybe DD who knows all kind of interesting number facts will jump in on this.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to know. Also, I'm working on getting a decent M270 trailer for mine eventually. Then all I need is an aircraft to load on, for parades.

Ron, there is the guys in Long Island with a cummins 400 powered M819 too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks