• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 13 Speed Swap

Crf450x

If nothing flies apart tomorrow, this project is done. A little over 3 months of work. I didn’t keep track of the hours but it was a lot. Fairly straightforward job and not nearly as difficult as I expected.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It looks nice and sounds good too.

I had to watch your video a couple of times - so I could hear you getting through the gears ;-) Oh, and something new for me... I managed to be the very first "like" on a YouTube video! Of course that and a nickel won't buy a cup of coffee - but hey - gotta be impressed by the simple things sometimes.

Crf450x

It looks nice and sounds good too.

I had to watch your video a couple of times - so I could hear you getting through the gears ;-) Oh, and something new for me... I managed to be the very first "like" on a YouTube video! Of course that and a nickel won't buy a cup of coffee - but hey - gotta be impressed by the simple things sometimes.
Haha awesome thank you! I’ve probably watched it 50 times for the same reason.

Crf450x

I finally added up the cost of everything. The whole job cost $2800. A lot of money but still cheaper than a rebuilt Allison. $1550 of it was trans, bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and shifter. The fancy u joint was $300. The rest was $20 here and $100 there. The small stuff adds up quick. All said and done, I think it was worth the money.

But....would I do it again? I’m not sure. It was a ton of work. I think if I could do it over I’d get an m809 and have a factory manual trans. But it sure is a lot of fun.

charlesmann

I finally added up the cost of everything. The whole job cost $2800. A lot of money but still cheaper than a rebuilt Allison. $1550 of it was trans, bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and shifter. The fancy u joint was $300. The rest was $20 here and $100 there. The small stuff adds up quick. All said and done, I think it was worth the money.

But....would I do it again? I’m not sure. It was a ton of work. I think if I could do it over I’d get an m809 and have a factory manual trans. But it sure is a lot of fun.
Do you have a parts list of the major parts/components used for the swap? I need to finish my sawmill first, probably 3-4 months, maybe less, from getting it finished, and i think i should start gathering parts up for a manual swap into my 936a2.
Im going to build an adapter to couple my gn to my 936 to aid in loading of trees, instead of using the log arch method. The adapter will take a week or so and i can do local tree grabs with the automatic xmsn till im ready to yank my tck apart for the swap. But getting the parts sourced, ordered and stored is the first hurdle though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do you have a parts list of the major parts/components used for the swap? I need to finish my sawmill first, probably 3-4 months, maybe less, from getting it finished, and i think i should start gathering parts up for a manual swap into my 936a2.
Im going to build an adapter to couple my gn to my 936 to aid in loading of trees, instead of using the log arch method. The adapter will take a week or so and i can do local tree grabs with the automatic xmsn till im ready to yank my tck apart for the swap. But getting the parts sourced, ordered and stored is the first hurdle though.
Your truck won't need the same parts as he has on his. Your A2 has a longer Jackshaft than his was. Your transmission also sits way further forward than the A1 trucks. It will be alot more difficult with a good many different parts

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I keep wondering if there isn't some sort of engine and transmission combo where more horsepower could help these big heavy trucks (wreckers) move out a little faster and have "longer legs" on hills. After saying that comes the more difficult part: without losing the low end pulling power...

It seems that one or the other is possible - but not both.

I sure love jamming gears on RoadRanger! But it doesn't seem like the way to go on these M936 trucks - although I would love to have mine setup that way...

Crf450x

Like @simp5782 said, yours will be totally different with the 8.3. I believe you’ll need a different flywheel housing/engine mounts as well. I saw an a2 with an 8ll and they also swapped to an a0 style front driveshaft with the carrier bearing. It has been done though.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Like @simp5782 said, yours will be totally different with the 8.3. I believe you’ll need a different flywheel housing/engine mounts as well. I saw an a2 with an 8ll and they also swapped to an a0 style front driveshaft with the carrier bearing. It has been done though.
Yeah, honestly I got it for what it is - and I need to just shut up and be happy. Even a bad day driving a FMV is a good time :cool:

Thanks for the answers guys!

Crf450x

I keep wondering if there isn't some sort of engine and transmission combo where more horsepower could help these big heavy trucks (wreckers) move out a little faster and have "longer legs" on hills. After saying that comes the more difficult part: without losing the low end pulling power...

It seems that one or the other is possible - but not both.

I sure love jamming gears on RoadRanger! But it doesn't seem like the way to go on these M936 trucks - although I would love to have mine setup that way...
I feel like my 855 is a beast now that I have a turbo and fuel button. RR is always the way to go! I just can’t stand automatics because they tend to be unreliable. My 923a2 was the first automatic I’ve ever owned and it literally lasted me a week before it turned into a 3 speed.

charlesmann

Copy on all.
Do i understand correctly, the drive shaft from xmsn to t-case is longer on an a2 wrecker, than an a1/2 cargo?

I do have a donor truck i guess i’ll drag back closer to my shop and start yarding things off and pulling a tape to see what will work. It may be expensive, not sure, but i may see about having new yokes made for the commercial/civi u-joints. If things work, i’ll just swap data plates back and put the donor truck on the road.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Copy on all.
Do i understand correctly, the drive shaft from xmsn to t-case is longer on an a2 wrecker, than an a1/2 cargo?

I do have a donor truck i guess i’ll drag back closer to my shop and start yarding things off and pulling a tape to see what will work. It may be expensive, not sure, but i may see about having new yokes made for the commercial/civi u-joints. If things work, i’ll just swap data plates back and put the donor truck on the road.
Yes. All a2 trucks have longer transmission to transfer case shafts cause the engine sits about 14 inches further forward

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks