• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 with roll cage and tall hardtop

61sleepercab

Can you post a picture so everyone is on the same page as to what iron you have questions about?

I have seen high top cab trucks on GL. Looks like cab with reinforcement or roll cage in cab. I think they look like a rolling phone booth like the 1950's Willys Pickup.

I remember looking in an old Popular Mechanics magazine that had a 1960's picture of an experimental roll bar on a deuce that looked like a hoop behind the cab to protect in roll overs.

Navy dude

I would post the pics of the several out of Barstow for 8 to 9 thousand, but not sure of the legality. I am just wondering if it would be better to save the premium and buy a traditional 923, or are these things worth it. I do like the look, so I guess that is worth something...

wsucougarx

You bet. That pic was taken April 2002 at NAS Pensacola. Our OCS school was across the street from AOCS. Had an outstanding time there. Our drill instructor wasn't too happy with our class. Seems our class kept him out of the sandbox and being a recon Marine, he wasn't too thrilled to be dealing with a bunch of officer wannabes..hahaha. He reminded up everyday how he should have been in Iraq and not here training a bunch of $#$#@!

jesusgatos

I am a newbie, so apologize if these questions are already answered elsewhere. I did a search, cant find any info. I would like to buy one of these franken trucks... I think they look awesome. They seem to go for about 4k more than standard m923's on GL. I would appreciate any comments on what the deal is on these things... any armor? Why are they built this way? Are they designed for a gunner on top, etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
They are pretty awesome. Will take some pictures of our trucks for you, but probably won't have a chance to post them until sometime next week. The rollcages are quite extensive. They're not retrofitted to the cabs, rather the cabs are built around the structural tubing. To us, yes, they're worth the premium, and more. And I'm saying that as someone quite capable of doing that type of fabrication work. See the value in it, and would rather pay for it than try to duplicate it.

jesusgatos

Here is a picture of 150 of these cabs that were for the rebuild program that is canceled. They have been moved from lot to lot over the last few years, and even have the box and hardware to mount an outside battery box.View attachment 451759View attachment 451758View attachment 451760
Would it be against the rules to ask where those cabs are now? Just wondering where (what part of the country) they might eventually pop-up. Would like to buy a few.

Gunzy

Would it be against the rules to ask where those cabs are now? Just wondering where (what part of the country) they might eventually pop-up. Would like to buy a few.
I wouldn't mind a cab either. If nothing, for parts. They had the new relocated gauges in them so I would bet those are complete and ready to set on the truck.

Artisan

I just got off the phone w/ a the other "brad" and we were talkin' about the Frankentops.
I will get to see 5 of them tomorrow, I really want to see if those Frankentop cabs will
swap onto my M925A1. They probably will bolt on but the electrical may need to be massaged.

I would very much be appreciative if someone were / could tell me where those Frankentop
cabs are and or if they come to market. please.

FRANKENTOPS ! Ha!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a picture so everyone is on the same page as to what iron you have questions about?

I have seen high top cab trucks on GL. Looks like cab with reinforcement or roll cage in cab. I think they look like a rolling phone booth like the 1950's Willys Pickup.

I remember looking in an old Popular Mechanics magazine that had a 1960's picture of an experimental roll bar on a deuce that looked like a hoop behind the cab to protect in roll overs.

There are quite a few pictures in this thread.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 150 new not mounted new cabs are sitting in the "processing yard" at Ft Riley between the rail head and RSMS. RSMS were the ones doing resets,(rebuilds) to the M939 series trucks which they are no longer doing. They are now doing 3 axle flat bed trailers. The folks I talked to out there including the including DRMO and GL have no idea what is going to happen to them at this time. That yard in the past was just for mv's being ship in or out for the active army, but the last bunch of Het's sold through GL were all in that lot.2cents

Gunner0311

I see them often here in Michigan. The Army Reserve "Transport" units all seem to have at least one of these 5-Tons set up in this configuration. When I was at the Midland reserve center earlier this year I asked one of the full-time NCOs about
the peculiar looking 5-Ton parked alongside all their HEMETTs, and he said it was "just an old truck we use for small loads." When I asked about the weird cab, he said it was just for putting more gear over the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks