• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 came home with me today!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Paint over it Chris don't advertise for them with them cutting services by the bushel let them realise we are their bread and butter. Great news on how you got it going I cant wait to see it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "in service" look might help you keep the PD away on the drive.. DRMO just kinda screams "LOOK AT ME" and might attract unwanted attention.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree...ditch the DRMO "stencil." It sure as h*** does not enhance the look of the truck, especially in red! Put her back to original. I can't wait to get my M925A2 that I got with you on that sale on the road. Mine is tan and is also stenciled with the Seabee's logo. My other camo M925A2 came from Ft. Jackson, SC Tactical Doctine Command , Wheeled Vehicles Mechanics School (bumber numbers...TDC FJ on the left and WVMS on the right). I also got one of the Seabee's M929s that came out recently, although she's not on the road yet, either.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i also think it would look better without the DRMO sigh. the truck looks way cool , glad you got it running smooth as silk.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The DRMO will go, if I get time. It may look a little goofy since the Gillispie paint will be much darker than the faded CARC. No time for a repaint :) That'll have to come later.

I tried to get it inspected this morning, but it wouldn't fit in the service bay so they wouldn't do it. I will have to take it to a heavy truck shop here in town tomorrow or Wed.

My brother and I worked our butts off on Saturday and I plugged away again yesterday getting lots of little things knocked out. We accomplished the following:

- Oil, tranny, fuel filters changed
- Haldex air drier rebuilt with new dessicant cannister, etc...
- Amber marker light changed
- Front and rear license plates mounted
- Rear license plate light mounted
- Clear FMTV composite light mounted for reverse light
- Momentary switch mounted on shift tower for reverse light
- 12v feed for CB installed
- Entire truck shop vac'd
- 6.2L engine, 55 gal WVO and genset loaded

Phew! The to-do list includes inspection, fix parking brake warning light switch and prime/paint any rough spots. Chad will be coming up Wed afternoon for one last session. I took it for a 30 min run yesterday and everything felt good up to 60 mph. The CTIS and the ABS are still working. Let's hope it stays that way ;)

I'll post up some pics later today.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just got back from the big truck shop. They passed it no problem so it is now officially VA inspected, tagged and insured. Sweeeeet.

Took some quick pics at lunch. Will post up later.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's picture time! Woo-hoo!!

You'll notice everything was added in a place where existing holes could be found. That way it can be returned to stock without any plug welds.

The license light and reverse light were added to make the VA inspectors happy. As big as this truck is, I may add a reverse beeper too. I'd hate to back over someone.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Stan.

I got the spare tire back in its mount yesterday. That was fun without the davit boom. I rolled it into my pick-up bed with some ramps and then rolled it from the bed to the mount with the same ramps. Pretty slick solution, just some heavy rolling weight ;)

I also sanded and painted the intake stack. It was peeling really bad and looks much better now. I was going to do some more painting this afternoon, but it looks like I'll be cleaning the WVO out of the back instead. :(

Jetnoise400

Chris,

Don't so much think of it as an accidental spillage of stinky WVO, think of it as an indiscriminate application of a low cost rust inhibitor! rofl

Seriously tho... fantastic job on whipping that truck into shape! Safe travels, and have a great time at Aberdeen!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Sean! The big stinky has been cleaned up for the most part. I spent the afternoon with my brother double checking everything for the ECC and Aberdeen. We pulled out the hood insulation because it was falling apart all over the engine. I also bypassed the parking brake alarm to shut it up and kill the annoying strobe. It's easy to know if the brake is on, the truck won't move with the air set! We also adjusted the throttle to have better range of motion so as not to kill my calf muscle in the first hour. We scraped and painted some rough spots in between rain showers. Stupid rain. Now it is time to finish loading up and get some rest for tomorrow. I'll post a full report when we get home.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well gang, the truck made it to Aberdeen and back without a major problem. I believe the alternator may have crapped out on the way up since I needed a jump to get it going when trying to come home. The batteries were almost completely dead when we got home. The headlights were real dim and I thought Chad was going to have to shine a flashlight on the road to get us home. I have the batts charging right now so we'll see how the alt does with a full charge. If it is dying, then I'll be taking it to the rebuild shop for a sleep-over. The truck made great time on I-95. We ran 65 mph for most of the trip and it did great. I don't know what the mileage was because I didn't keep track of the fuel, but it seemed to do pretty good with my lead foot.

More updates later!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kind on fuel, hee-hee. Prolly about 5 mpg! What I need is a couple of 55 gallon drums full of heating oil like some other SS member I know ;)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind on fuel, hee-hee. Prolly about 5 mpg! What I need is a couple of 55 gallon drums full of heating oil like some other SS member I know
Welllllll.....you could pump out of the tank in your back yard - except for the fact that it is dyed(and you've already paid for it for the boiler). Plus your other half would probably frown on the lack of hot water for important things like cooking, bathing etc.. :)