• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A0 Recovery

No tow light or cable set- dang. :sad:

Any guess as to what's in the wood crat
Oh well, its nothing to complain about. You still got a nice pile of goodies!

I bet more goodies are in that box. The wrecker I got didn't have the wood box ( that I could
see anyway) like yours. I just hope to get lucky with whats I'm the tool boxes and hopefully the
Towbar and spreader bar are there (my fingers are crossed).

By any means you got yourself a first class outfit there!

markmontana

The wood crate contains a new control valve for the crane- 4 levers and the manifold. Also, a spare hydraulic main pump was included. you can see where some fluid has seeped out around the manifold. After cleaning that area up- no more fluid has leaked- so probably a slow leak.

Attachments

markmontana

The batch of wreckers that this one came from (Barstow) all seemed to be rebuilt in 2008. None of the cable has been out of the winches or the crane since re-paint. Next item to try out is the rear winch- that looks like a real beast with serious capability.

The M936 has a fast idle device added to the IP- it seems to engage at the same time you activate the PTO. Awesome.

Now to get a tractor umbrella for the crane operator box! And a sombrero for soldier B

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The batch of wreckers that this one came from (Barstow) all seemed to be rebuilt in 2008. None of the cable has been out of the winches or the crane since re-paint. Next item to try out is the rear winch- that looks like a real beast with serious capability.

The M936 has a fast idle device added to the IP- it seems to engage at the same time you activate the PTO. Awesome.

Now to get a tractor umbrella for the crane operator box! And a sombrero for soldier B
The 45000# rear winch has been DERATED to 25000#, the hyds won't pull it, seem like there was a SLIGHT miscommunication between the pump and the winch drive designers, in another words OOPS, so instead of fixing the OOPS, the military DERATED the winch, Just get a few snatch blocks an all will be good

markmontana

Good to know. I see a couple real big snatch blocks in the bottom of the tool box...

Just calculated my final fuel usage for the trip:

5.2 MPG for the first leg- Barstow to Vegas.

6.4 MPG Vegas to Salt Lake City (Ogden)

Put in an extra dose of Power Service fuel treatment. Noticed a much smoother motor after about 30 minutes.

The 936 is a great addition to the ever growing collection of 5 tons:

Attachments

markmontana

Was the GL rep at Barstow easy to deal with as far as scheduling a pickup time and all?
I have heard that they are swamped out there, with so many lots.
I'm never in a hurry- so they are always easy to work with. :D

This time the lot guy got bent out of shape when I drove my car in. So I drove it out and walked in. No reason to make a fuss. In general I would say Barstow GL is pretty good and the USMC base is OK. I waited about 40 minutes just to clear the gate- so leave yourself time.

Dug into the tools today. Some of the sheaves were just too big to pull out!

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark - congrats on the BII kit you have. Seems like 'Us the tax payers' have funded quite the goodie bag - shame about the boring wrapping paper!

I am curious that the hand tools (spade, sledge and bolt cutter) seem to be "off the shelf" from the local hardware store!
I'd assume they are 'Made in USA', but are they stamped with NSN's or just tagged/labeled?
How did you make out with all the specific pins?

What is that 2 - 3' bar between the long pinch bar and the axe, is it the bottle jack handle?

Cheers.

Last edited:

markmontana

That bar goes with the lug wrenches I think. Haven't pulled that stuff out yet.

The tools are all USA and high quality- the same guys that make stuff for the hardware stores get the gov contracts. Not stamped or tagged, other than mfg markings.

The tow bar feet and pins are all there and correct.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My M923 also came with its BII crate. The screwdrivers are ordinary Stanley ones, and the crescent wrenches are Crescent brand. They weren't marked any differently. I don't recall if the bottle jack was marked differently, but it had its normal red paint and came with the normal civilian instruction manual.

I sure hope that my M936A1 will come with the BII like Mark's! It shows padlocks on some of the storage compartments in the GL pictures, so that's a good sign. For that matter, I hope that it also includes the padlock keys, so I can reuse them instead of cutting them off.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bins, padlocks and gear...

No guarantees..... My 816 came with a load of BII, however all the lockers were unlocked, yet there were 8 cut padlocks all over the floor and in the lockers, even still fastened to the rear climbup handle!

dmetalmiki

Fabulouse truck! good kit..you MUST be really pleased. My M62 has all that kit exept for that "WIFFLE TREE" .What I would give to complete my kit with that device.
I also had a box with a short v bar and long v bar. (a bar) with all the adaptors you show there. It appears from what you descibe that the M62 has twice the winch power?

markmontana

Fabulouse truck! good kit..you MUST be really pleased. My M62 has all that kit exept for that "WIFFLE TREE" .What I would give to complete my kit with that device.
I also had a box with a short v bar and long v bar. (a bar) with all the adaptors you show there. It appears from what you descibe that the M62 has twice the winch power?
I have an extra wiffle tree- wish I knew a good way to get it to you!

markmontana

If it's from the batch that mine came out of- you should have some good stuff. The ones coming up seem to be picked over and I saw some issues- lots of leakage around the crane and winches and some other issues. I walked thru them and glad I got one when I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks