• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936a2 towing a M931a2

adeso

What is the preferred tow method, flat tow or lifted tow? I'm recovering a 931a2 with a 936a2 for a few hundred miles. I'm planning on pulling the rear axles out of the tube and install hubcaps on the 931, and have a light setup for it with lots of reflective tape on it as well.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would do a lift tow, you will have more control and be able to back up if needed. Pick from the rear, tie off the steering wheel, turn the tow bar around, pull the 931 from the pintil.

adeso

Ok I didn't think of towing it backwards, but I guess the weight would be balanced out on the 931 anyways. I don't think I could pull a front axle quickly so Ill make sure to check the front diff fluid before towing. How much will the wheel want to turn towing like that? will a simple tie down strap work or should I lock the steering somehow?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can easily remove the front drive flanges. As far as reversing the towbar, not sure you can. Ron's 819 is different as it doesn't have rear bumperettes. I think the M936 does.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure there is oil in the transfer case, differentials and stop to check hub temperatures periodically if you flat tow it without pulling axles. Come to think of it, check hub temps even if you do pull the axles. Good luck.

adeso

looking at my 923a2 sitting here there looks to be 6 bolts holding each bummperets that I can get to with a impact. I was going to pull the axles to try and save on the mpg of not turning the chunk. Standard recovery, I'm planning on bringing lots of tools lol. If it is backwards doesn't the service line to the 931a2 have a one way valve so I won't have brakes on the towed truck unless I run a line to the front?

Csm Davis

looking at my 923a2 sitting here there looks to be 6 bolts holding each bummperets that I can get to with a impact. I was going to pull the axles to try and save on the mpg of not turning the chunk. Standard recovery, I'm planning on bringing lots of tools lol. If it is backwards doesn't the service line to the 931a2 have a one way valve so I won't have brakes on the towed truck unless I run a line to the front?
The 936 wrecker has a lot of junk under the that the 923 doesn't and you need to put the bolts back in to hold the rear frame in one piece.

Csm Davis

The way I would tow it, would be to flat tow it will be safer to me but what do I know I have only moved a couple thousand of them.
If you want to take the time to remove the bumperets then the rear lift and towbar would be nice if the 931A2 doesn't have mud flaps and even then I would say he would be safer to flat tow, the 936A2 is light on the front and doesn't do lifted tow real well and he is asking so I would believe he has limited time behind the wheel of a wrecker.

adeso

You are right, I don't have a lot of time running a wrecker, my other driver fell out so now I'm just trying to get the thing home and it needs to come off the lot. I learned my lesson at a very young age with a shortbed pickup about lifting the front end and balancing a load is something I have respect for. I will probably just pull and cap the rear axles to try and help with fuel, and flat tow it to call it good. Ill just have to make sure I don't have to back up lol.

Csm Davis

If you need to backup you can you may need to pull forward to straighten the tires or you can lock the steering wheel with the seat belt and it will act like a trailer but be gentle or if you know how to use the boom just pickup a little on the front of the 931A2 with the upper shackles, this will let you backup. If you need to call me.

TruAg

Okay, along the lines of not much time in a wrecker. I am recovering a M936A2 later this week. My buddy was originally going to drive my Ford F350 back and I drive the 936. He can't make the trip, so I was thinking maybe I could tow my F350 with the 936. Any experience out there towing a pickup with a 936? Tips or suggestions?

Csm Davis

Okay, along the lines of not much time in a wrecker. I am recovering a M936A2 later this week. My buddy was originally going to drive my Ford F350 back and I drive the 936. He can't make the trip, so I was thinking maybe I could tow my F350 with the 936. Any experience out there towing a pickup with a 936? Tips or suggestions?
Yeah just make a set of shackle mounts for the front of the F350 and flat tow it

TruAg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks