• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M944A1 Mobile Shop Civilian Conversion

bimota

M944A1 conversion nearing work ready status

Ok, we are up and making equipment. Joe is running the lathe off a MEP-003 and the truck generator also works. The truck remains hard to start - so any advice on using the ether kit is appreciated. We also are looking for the Manual for the Southbend 1308 lathe. We found the lathe drained of all fluids - risky since we did not check till after starting the run. Special hydraulic oil Shell Trellus 27 is called for - not hard to find but special blend. Check those fluid.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

So if the truck has a generator, then what is the MEP for? I am confused as to why it would be necessary. Have you straightened out your ext cord problems?

I am still getting used to the color, but I have seen worse...

bimota

So if the truck has a generator, then what is the MEP for? I am confused as to why it would be necessary. Have you straightened out your ext cord problems?

I am still getting used to the color, but I have seen worse...
Key is fuel savings - why run a 250HP Cummins at 2 gallons per hour and get wet stacking when you can run an MEP002 or 003 at less than 1 gal per hour and run the equipment. We only need the 25kw generator if running lathe, drill press, grinders, welders and all the lights at the same time. In the commercial works efficiency is important in the military - not so much.\

Southbend Lathe manual is part number SBL1308MANUAL email cs@southbendlathe.com or call our parts dept. at 360-734-1540 Ext. 1
If you wish to purchase the above items you may do so by visiting our website www.southbendlathe.com or call our parts dept. at 360-734-1540 Ext. 1

hendo

I just came upon this thread and post; however, I can help out with the 1308, which I owned and operated for quite a few years. The manual specifies oils which are no longer available. I found the best modern oils for the machine to be:

- Head stock/spindle {ISO 32}: Mobil DTE 24
- Gear box, apron, oil points, etc. {ISO 68}: Mobil Vactra 2 Way Oil

Did you obtain a manual?

bimota

M944A1 Civilian Conversion Show Time - Maker Faire 2013

Hey all, today we are washing and loading for Maker Faire San Francisco 2013. Come see the M944A1 cleanup up and with solar panels installed. Why panels - simple we can run the lights day and night without running the generator.

Here she is getting a wash and haircut! 2013-05-16_13-07-05_382.jpg2013-05-16_13-07-18_119.jpg2013-05-16_13-09-16_209.jpg

wwwmakerfaire.com or see us at www.sanghaenergy.org

Do you think this truck could earn money as a attraction at fairs or am I smoking funny stuff?????

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, today we are washing and loading for Maker Faire San Francisco 2013. Come see the M944A1 cleanup up and with solar panels installed. Why panels - simple we can run the lights day and night without running the generator.

Here she is getting a wash and haircut! View attachment 428769View attachment 428770View attachment 428771

wwwmakerfaire.com or see us at www.sanghaenergy.org

Do you think this truck could earn money as a attraction at fairs or am I smoking funny stuff?????
Looks like you've got yourself one of them new-fangled ELECTRIC MVs ! ! !

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're only going to be running one thing at a time, and be nearby commercial power, why not use a rotary phase converter?

Mark Reasoner

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I picked up a 1308 lathe that came out of an M944. It had only two wires in the conduit leading in to the electrical box of the lathe. Is that the same way your lathe is wired? I thought as 3 phase, it had to have 3 lines instead of 2.

bimota

So it should have three wires - each hot plus a chassis ground. I am looking for 1308 parts as I also picked up another M944A1 - the lathe tailstock was missing. If you decide to part out the lathe we are interested. Sangha Energy.org

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks