• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintenance weekend (Spin Ons etc)

frodobaggins

Well I need some maintenance for my deuce to get it ready for it's first big trip.
I'm going down south for the La rally.

I had been wanting to go to spin ons, and I had forgotten about my state tax refund. It didn't cover it all, but got me the extra push I needed :)

Anyway, here is my best attempt at a step by step, with pictures of course.

Plus some odds and ends thrown in there. Be patient, lots of pics to upload.

crazyplowboy

Admire work, take a break, take a dump, smoke or dip.
If you do all of them before returning to work you are working at my house. Looks like an over all easy swap. Thanks for the awesome pics and walk through.

frodobaggins

I didn't mention, that I obviously drained my oil first. And after asking a few people if it was ok to flush the motor with diesel, some say yes, some now, and some googling, I did it. I can't recommend, or tell you not to do this. I did not know the condition of the inside of my engine, so I wanted a fresh start. If you would like to try my method, here is what I did.

I added one gallon of diesel to the crankcase before draining the oil. I started the truck and let it IDLE! for about 7-8 minutes. Do NOT put a load on the motor or drive. Watch your oil pressure, if it gets too low, stop before you screw something up.

Anyway, after I got all this circulating real well, I drained it all like normal. My oil was pretty clean actually, but I have seen this knock some nasty stuff loose before, though not in a deuce.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming, primary fuel filter/water seperator:

frodobaggins

Ok, first, fight with alternator and loosen nut on top of the primary. You must win this fight, otherwise you cannot continue. Refuse to take alternator loose. You can do it. Ok, you won, now cram your hand in from under the truck and hold the nut while you spin the can off. Spill some diesel. Check that the OSSK is doing it's job, good ? Ok you can continue.

Attachments