• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making oil!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check for coolant. Check the quality of oil. Bypass the FDC. Three good places to start.......................could also use the "search" function.................been quite a few threads about similar subjects. Good luck!

pigpen60

Tried the search but I guess I dont know the right words. Its oil and nothing but oil. I burn wmo. no chocolate milk looking water oil. Was looking at doing the FDC bypass but then when I looked up calibrating the pump I read and all I got was use the test fixture. I dont have a test fixture I have a truck. Confusing as all out.

pigpen60

Ok I tried the Clinto cant find a freaking thing search help and I got better results. So it looks like I'm bypassing the FDC checking the booster pump o-ring. still dont know how to calibrate the pump.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you run diesel at all or strictly run waste motor oil? If you use diesel fuel, you can take a white sheet of copy paper and drip a drop or two off the dipstick. If there is fuel in the oil, it will make a halo around the oil drops (sort of like gas on water look). If it does then bypass the FDC and replace the three o-rings on the hydraulic head. Make sure to use the viton o-rings.

pigpen60

Well the FDC is out of the loop. Went to start and the secondary filter started blowing oil. My thinking is I replaced the electric pump and it pushed oil through the FDC and then when I eliminated it I guess the filter o-ring/gasket was the next weak link. While I'm thinking anyone have any idea why I would have a line coming off the output on the secondary fuel filter running to the rear on the drivers side? Pouring or I would be on the ground.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The secondary fuel filter has a T fitting and bypass valve in it and opens at 70 psi. It also has a line coming from the Head and a line going back to the tank. The final fuel filter has one line coming off goes to the Head if that is what you a talking about.

pigpen60

Found the fuel line diagram on Big Mikes. Yep need to hook the "mystery hose" back up! I didnt loop the FDC lines back on themselves I put plugs in. The fuel lines looked like they had a rough life.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

When I bypassed my fuel density compensator, I replaced ALL the fuel lines with new. Using high pressure rubber lines, with NO couplings and connections. thus eliminating future leaks. The old lines had just too many couplings joints and connectors 'mid stream'.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okkkk, I eliminated the T on the input that had the line going under the cab. Guess I need to reinstall it?
Yea that is the overflow from the front side of the Head and the return fuel line to tank. The bypass only opens if there is a over pressure in the system.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So I need to replace the blue line back to the "t"? and reinstall the return to the tank?
The TM picture I posted was for me when figuring out what a stock system looks like so when I worked on it I would know which way the fuel is going from where to where and in which direction. The highlighted blue line is necessary. The engine must have a return to the tank and that is the blue highlighted line.
It is from the TM so you can see it there.
There is five ways for the engine to "make oil", to increase the crankcase level. From what I see here in SS the fuel density compensatory is the first to get changed from stock and be bypassed. There is proper instructions within SS on how to do that with pictures.

Last edited:

texas30cal

My truck made oil from the day I got it, fdc was already bypassed by the military, I did the HH and shutoff o-rings and eliminated the flame heater. All of this slowed it a little but not a lot, the truck was overhauled at tead and all rebuild tags are dated 92. It came down to the booster pump seal, it was hard as a rock and had zero tension on the shaft. This fixed the making oil completely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks