• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mandatory Deuce tools

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I read though all FOUR pages and did not see the most IMPORTANT tool needed as a deuce owner, A 5t WRECKER to recover the deuce and return to it the LZ or DEPOT for repair

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I read though all FOUR pages and did not see the most IMPORTANT tool needed as a deuce owner, A 5t WRECKER to recover the deuce and return to it the LZ or DEPOT for repair

Another deuce with a towbar kit does nearly as good a job at a fraction of the cost..........

Plus, I don't think in the two giant threads about wrecker insurance that any of the wrecker owners conclusively proved their insurance would actually cover them to recover their own vehicles, let alone other people's vehicles.

Here some of clintogf's and my adventures. :D

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"I read though all FOUR pages and did not see the most IMPORTANT tool needed as a deuce owner, A 5t WRECKER to recover the deuce and return to it the LZ or DEPOT for repair"----73m819

Another deuce with a towbar kit does nearly as good a job at a fraction of the cost..........

Plus, I don't think in the two giant threads about wrecker insurance that any of the wrecker owners conclusively proved their insurance would actually cover them to recover their own vehicles, let alone other people's vehicles.

Here some of clintogf's and my adventures. :D
With this in mind, the recovery of someones own trucks would be the same I would think . If recovering with a wrecker would be a problem, then so would using a deuce or 5t and a t/b, the TOWED deuce or 5t ARE NOT the trailers designed to be towed by a deuce or 5t, with this thought, if something happens, insurance might not cover. also the t/b was NOT meant for long distance or high speed use according to different TMs and FMs, this also could affect coverage
I believe that a argument can be made for the wrecker use (as long as NOT commercial use) Is this is the designed use and the designed safe way to recover over a distance

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Dont forget lots and lots of screwdrivers.
You will need these after trying to fix one.
By the way, you dont have to use a screwdriver, you can use any drink you want, jack n coke, rum n coke, fuzzy navel, ect ect Simple beer wont cut it most the time.
I prefer tequilla straight.

You didnt think I meant a real screwdriver did you?

Chain hoist for overhead trans replacement
Coffee can for the tip of your stack
Flashlight, in the cab, ALWAYS (unless you are lucky and have a dome light)
Ammo cans for tool storage
A dummy hand grenade (somewhere visible, in the cab)
Something camo to wear when you drive it (I wear camo facepaint :cookoo:JK)

hklvette

After shearing the ends off of two 3/4 drive breaker bars trying to get the "hella-tight" lugs off the front driver wheel (I was turning them the correct way, clockwise), I broke down and bought a Double-ended truck wrench and bar from Ken-tool. That thing didn't even flinch when I put the cheater pipe on it, and took the lugs off safe and sound. In addition, its setup to take off the budd caps/ thimbles off of the rear duals if needed.

Ken-tool PN TR98 and TR5 if anyone's interested. Can be ordered at NAPA.

After shearing the ends off of two 3/4 drive breaker bars trying to get the "hella-tight" lugs off the front driver wheel (I was turning them the correct way, clockwise), I broke down and bought a Double-ended truck wrench and bar from Ken-tool. That thing didn't even flinch when I put the cheater pipe on it, and took the lugs off safe and sound. In addition, its setup to take off the budd caps/ thimbles off of the rear duals if needed.

Ken-tool PN TR98 and TR5 if anyone's interested. Can be ordered at NAPA.
I picked one of those up at my local NAPA about a week ago, and was wondering why are they so expensive? After taking my passenger side rear duals off, I found out why. They're built like a tank. You need that toughness on some of those nuts. If you can break one of these things you are doing some serious work.

LC

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most essential tools....

Debit Card with AMPLE fund$ on deposit to secure what you might need;
Visa Card with open credit line;
Master Card with additional available credit line for when the Visa Card MAX's out.

OH.... and an understanding SPOUSE :grd:

1919A4

I might suggest a tow chain that can double for a tire cage when inflating a dismounted/replaced tire wheel combination. Lots of guys have lost their head over that.

wbdodgeiv

Does the compressor wrench get used much? I've had a deuce for a while and done a lot of maintance, but haven't needed the compressor wrench, what common failure precedes its use?

I got a torque multiplier off of ebay that is on the order of 60:1, breaks lug nuts loose with just a 12in wrench - no pipe needed. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Ctp89AH58[/media]

I would recommend one of the"super" 1/2 drive impacts, ~650ft lb models. Those work as well as a cheap 3/4 drive and can loosen from 7/16 bolts to the 1 1/2 on the drive flanges. It well remove lug nuts after breaking them loose with the torque multiplier and reinstall them to an acceptable torque level.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does the compressor wrench get used much? I've had a deuce for a while and done a lot of maintance, but haven't needed the compressor wrench, what common failure precedes its use?
That's how you remove, install and tension the compressor belt.

nnero

So the Ken-tool works for both the front and rear lug nuts right? Might be a dumb question but I would like to make sure I order the right thing. Gonna be spending some $ getting the Deuce reading for spring and a good lug wrench is a needed item. Thanks.

So the Ken-tool works for both the front and rear lug nuts right? Might be a dumb question but I would like to make sure I order the right thing. Gonna be spending some $ getting the Deuce reading for spring and a good lug wrench is a needed item. Thanks.
That is correct, nnero.

You can order the USGI wrenches from vendors on here or some of the big boys will have them. Or go to your local NAPA dealer and get the Ken Tool wrench with the 1.5" hex socket on one end and the 13/16" square socket on the other.

The NAPA part number for the wrench is 32508, and the part number for the breaker bar is 32318.

They are not cheap, but worth every penny.

LC

nnero

That is correct, nnero.

You can order the USGI wrenches from vendors on here or some of the big boys will have them. Or go to your local NAPA dealer and get the Ken Tool wrench with the 1.5" hex socket on one end and the 13/16" square socket on the other.

The NAPA part number for the wrench is 32508, and the part number for the breaker bar is 32318.

They are not cheap, but worth every penny.

LC
Thank you for the part #'s. I will order that from NAPA when I get the oil. That combined with a 4' pipe should take all the headache of removing wheels from the duece. There will be more questions coming.

dcwilkie

I got my wheels off using just a 1/2 inch air impact tool, 1/2 inch air hose and ran it off the Deuce compressor.
The only way this worked out was to use it when the air was up to 110 psi and no lower than 90 psi. Any lower and it just wouldn't do the job, so that meant stopping until the air built back up (listen for the compressor to shut off). Still- it was no biggie- just took some patience.
One thing to really be careful about is aligning the Budd nuts with the wheel holes. It isn't too hard to retorque these without them being seated properly. This can cause a moment or two of pure terror when the wheel(s) start coming loose while driving! :shock:
Believe me- they will look like they're on there, but they aren't! Life experience talking here...

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, the Ken Tool wrench and bar are a must, but don't waste your cash on their commercial duty wrench support stand...#32610. Two reasons: 1-it's rated by KT at 300 ft-lbs, and I found that it slipped just about every time I used it on the lugs [frustrating to say the least]; 2-just picking it up one day the locking washer slipped, dropping the support piece and nearly taking off the tip of a finger:!:. I've used an old Sears cheapo jack stand since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks