• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine M37 build

nhjohnny1

I could be wrong but i believe it doesnt come out, you take the box off the frame and when the floor plates are removed it comes out through the cab as a unit, i took one partially apart and it looked like the shaft has the gear made onto it and would need to drop out the bottom of the box, I never cleaned it up enough to confirm as it was rusty and trashed so im not 100% on that.

GUNNY 155

Sort of looks French maybe you have a Canadian engine which I believe is 250 CI displacement. Measure the bore and stroke and check it against data in the TM. Looks like everything is .030 over or under depending if you are talking bore or bearing journals. I am just guessing right now based on what I see on the tag. Any added info you can supply may help. What is the number stamped in the block on the upper left front corner?

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/jeep/history/history.htm

After World War 2 was over, the French Government acquired around 20,000 Willy's MB & Ford GPW jeeps to rebuild its army. The jeeps were a mixture of war surplus, lend-lease and abandoned damaged vehicles. Only about half of the vehicles were useable, so the La Maltournée works near Paris began to dismantle the damaged units to component parts, and then rebuild new vehicles out of the useable parts.

but not sure how this applies to a 1954 M37 the tag has a date of 1965

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
okay answered my own question about the command kit

1. M42 Command Truck conversionkit dataplate
2. M42 Command Truck, from TM 9-8030, May 1955.
.3 Rear view, top cover and curtains, Command Truck M42. FromTM 9-8030, May 1955

information found at:
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m37_m42.php

More question on the data tags

1. Was fount under the hood on the passenger side on the fire wall
2. The command kit what was that?

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-37 Truck with M-42 Command Truck Kit Installed

Here are some photos of my truck with the Command Kit installed, if you are interested in seeing what it looks like in the real world.

IMG_9397R.jpgIMG_9395R.jpgIMG_9389R.jpgIMG_9386R.jpgIMG_9383R.jpgIMG_9378R.jpgIMG_9375R.jpgIMG_9371R.jpgIMG_9364R.jpgIMG_9357R.jpg

GUNNY 155

The tag with the rounded corners is normally found under the hood on the upper right hand corner of the fire wall held in place by two small phillips head screws. To find the spot, match up the holes.

GUNNY 155

Pretty sure the command truck used different bows with the command truck kit. Storm should be able to help you. I do not recall ever seeing the command version used by the USMC but that is just based on my service from 70 - 78.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bows are the same.

The kit is composed of a different piece of front and back cargo bed canvas and an additional piece of windowed canvas for each side of the bed. There is also a table that attaches to the bed side rails.

There is a map light reel that attaches to the wooden bed bows and a single wire that runs from under the dash (wire #10 circuit breaker - see the wiring diagram in the manual) to the bed to power the map light.

I don't know of the Marines ever using the command truck, but they may have.

There are two types of Command Truck: a plain vanilla command truck and a Radio Command Truck which has the 100 amp electrical system to power additional radios and other accessories. The Command Trucks had 8 digit registration (hood) numbers and Radio Command Trucks had 9 digit numbers. There are both factory and field modified trucks. Field modified trucks were given the new, longer registration numbers when converted.

Other than that (and the dash data plate) the M-37 and M-42 are the same.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing, yeah I am on the hunt now. After I am down I will have one of the only USMC M42 around here lol weather they used them or not. I have to find someone that has some of the parts and canvasses that are need.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a price quote on some parts but seems steep

1ea**** 7707287**** Canvas Cab Top****************************** $456.50ea

1ea**** 7412783**** Map Light*************************************** $595.00ea

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my truck for 36 years (only pick-up truck I've ever owned).

Parts used to be a lot easier (and cheaper) to find.

The usual suspects (Midwest Military, VPW, etc.) are the places to start looking. Another gentleman on here (Karl Kosterman) just got a set of M-42 Canvas from New Life Canvas in Minnesota and was very pleased with it.

John Bizal at Midwest Military has (or had) reproduction map tables and maybe map lights and reels.

Other than that, it is just browsing eBay and watching the ads in the various military collectors clubs.

If there is any help you think I might be able to give you, let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks