• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland State Inspection- HMMWV registered as an AM General Pickup

jpfever

The Violations in order and I will address each one after I have listed them in order:

Number 1: MD: TA-13-703(g) Unauthorized display and use of a REG Plate.
- The actual law:
(g) Unauthorized display of registration plate.- A person may not display on or for a vehicle any registration plate that is neither:
(1) Issued for the vehicle; or (2) Otherwise lawfully used on or for the vehicle under this title.

2. MD: TA-13-704(b) Fraudulently applying for Vehicle Registration

(b) In any application for the registration of a vehicle, a person may not:
(1) Fraudulently use a false or fictitious name;
(2) Knowingly make a false statement;
(3) Knowingly conceal a material fact; or (4) Otherwise commit a fraud in making the application.

3. MD: TA-13-936E2I Unlawful use of Historic Truck for General Daily Transportation
(e) In applying for registration of a historic motor vehicle under this section, the owner of the vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and
(2) Will not be used:
(i) For general daily transportation; or
(ii) Primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

In the Traffic Violation Warning, the Trooper changed the model from Pickup Truck to Hummer.

Now to address the 3 violations:

1. The information on the Maryland issued title and registration was taken from an a title issued from another state. The Tag agent entered the information from the said title on to the Maryland forms, I signed, paid my fees and walked out with my historic tags. The former title listed the M998 as an AM General Pickup Truck. The tag and registration that was issued by the State of Maryland say AM General Pickup Truck.

2. I hid nothing from the State, knowingly or willingly, as I submitted an application for Title and Registration with proof of ownership of a 1990 AM General Pickup truck per the previous title. I contacted the Maryland Motor Vehicles and asked about this. The Agent confirmed that they would have taken the information from the previous title and listed the vehicle on the Maryland Title and Registration as an AM General Pickup Truck as it is currently.

3. Granted, I was hauling a trailer, but that has nothing to do with "General Daily Transportation." Give me a **** warning about the trailer, not me driving it on the occasion of my wife and I going for a spin. This truck sits in my driveway or in my garage Monday through Friday and is taken out occasionally for personal use. Which is allowed under the Maryland Transportation Statutes.

Prior to this stop, the Trooper has seen me once before using the truck to move a garden tractor from one house to another in the same trailer. He made no reference to seeing me driving my M998 on a regular basis, so where the **** he got me using it as "General Daily Transportation"; I have no clue. I have a separate vehicle for General Daily Transportation.

Trooper has a stiffy when if comes to folks in the area that have historic tags and driving the vehicles that the tag is attached to.

Not sure if the Trooper committed a crime by changing the model from Pickup Truck to Hummer in the Traffic Violation Warning, but I will retain this for future use if needed.

I honestly don't know of any model as Hummer that was offered by AM General. The brand "Hummer" was introduced in 1992 by AM General, with a model known as the H1 to the civilian population, which was based on the military version of the M998.

According to MVA had I listed "Hummer" on my application for title, I would have been committing FRAUD, as the Make/Model didn't exist in 1990. The MVA Rep stated I show go and get a certified copy of the Title File Record to take to court in the case this crap happens again. I so want to educate this A$$. Maybe it is time this Trooper becomes a desk jockey.

At the same time, I will not haul a trailer until I see my day in court, hoping that I can force the hand of the MSP to inspect my vehicle so I can legally pull a trailer in the Police/Communist State of Maryland.

In regards to a law where State owned vehicles are exempt from safety inspections in Maryland - there isn't one and since the agency does not pay tax on the vehicle, they are not required to have it inspected. What kind of crap is that?

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Seems like he was trying to get you with anything he could, which wasn't much. The first violation doesn't even seem to apply since you had the tags on the truck they were registered for, not sure how he got that one.

AOR

JPFEVER - I do not disagree with anything you said and it truly sucks however I think if you take your case to court you may ruin things for the rest of us. My reasoning is this which I have not seen in writing and I do not want to challenge it because I do not want to ruin it for anyone else.
Going to court is how things like this get ruined. According to the people at the MVA they have told me that they have been instructed not to register any former military vehicle or armored vehicle period. I have also been told by someone local that his HMMWV had the insurance dropped on it because MD has a problem with it being on the road
Like anything of this nature if you speak to 10 different people you will get 10 different answers. If it were me I would take a hit for the team and let it go. Personally I would not have hauled a yard tractor with historic tags that is asking for issues with a trooper like him who has already seen you driving it around sticking out like a sore thumb etc. If this were a different type of historic vehicle such as a pickup from 1990 that passed federal safety standards and not a "Grey" area vehicle I would feel totally different about this.

jpfever

My OP, he is jealous, doesn't have anything better to do.

On a 2nd note to the above traffic stop. Just prior to the traffic stop, the said Trooper was in front of my vehicle driving at the legal speed limit, pulled over to the shoulder for me to pass. At which point I pass him legally, for this A$$ to flip on the lights. Again an A$$ move.

Other than pulling a trailer, there was no other reason for him to pull me over.

Heck, hold my 1990 to the 1992 Hummer H1 Standard and let me get my **** vehicle inspected. Sounds like multiple branches in the MSP don't know what each other are doing.

jpfever

AOR, with true respect for all of us in the State, there needs to be a positive change. If we all live under rocks, stuff will never change in our favor. Honestly, if I could afford to move out, I would. I would buy a home in PA, put my truck through their enhanced inspection, and drive my M998 on a regular, versus living in fear of the Police State that we live in.

Maryland's original motto: "The Free State"

Should be: "The not so Free State"

jpfever

In regards to a court hearing, that would only happen if said Trooper pulls me over gives me the same 3 violations that he warned me for. The Trooper needs to be educated on the differences of General Daily Transportation and limited personal use, which is allowed.

The officers in the Maryland State Police Automotive Safety Enforcement Division need to understand that all HMMWV produced by AM General and are now being sold at auction are the same minus the luxury features of the 1992 - 1996 Hummer H1. BTW, the civilian hummers were exempt from Federal Emissions Standards.

Hold my 1990 to that standard, it will pass.

US Army Veteran - I know the **** M998, not trying to cause issues for us law abiding citizens, just need proper education to the parties in power.

AOR

I am 47 years old and have pretty much lived here all of my life I do not expect to see much positive changes around here. I cant wait until my son graduates high school to get out of Montgomery County things are much different here than they used to be.
I feel their argument is going to be that a former military vehicle is not to be registered in MD I think it will end there and they may revoke your registration. Just an FYI I had issues getting mine on the road I had to go to Glen Burnie and put on my charm with the managers there. I do use mine to help out wounded veterans I am a volunteer to get them and their families off road if I did not say this when asked how I plan to use it I don't think I would have walked out with tags. I was already denied registration due to it being a former military vehicle. I know other people who have simply walked into their local MVA within the past month and had an issue free experience
the fact that Glen Burnie the head MVA initially denied me tells me there is probably some truth to this. I am going to enjoy mine as long as I can

AOR, with true respect for all of us in the State, there needs to be a positive change. If we all live under rocks, stuff will never change in our favor. Honestly, if I could afford to move out, I would. I would buy a home in PA, put my truck through their enhanced inspection, and drive my M998 on a regular, versus living in fear of the Police State that we live in.

Maryland's original motto: "The Free State"

Should be: "The not so Free State"

AOR

They H1 and HMMWV are similar and to the best of my knowledge they share the same body and some other parts but it stops there. My 1986 HMMWV does not have many safety features that would have been needed to pass federal safety standards in its day which as I understand it the H1 models have these items to make them comply
off the top of my head I will list some. No park, No dash padding, No neck protection because the seats are to short, Collapsing steering columns, Roll over protection , Backup lights , Bumpers that span the entire body width Mine did not really come any any bumpers . I don't think it would have met side impact protection either but I may be wrong. The horn and turn signals and brake lights can be left off while driving , The turn signal does not automatically cancel. I am sure I am missing many more things . I agree the troopers and law enforcement needs to be properly educated. Anyone who was driving lifted trucks in Montgomery County in the 1980s and 90s must surly remember officer Cook. He lost his daughter when she drove her small sports car under a lifted truck and lived to pull over all lifted vehicles . He may have only been a Rockville city cop I am not sure but everyone with a lifted vehicle knew who he was. Good luck not getting pulled over again hopefully that trooper gives you a break when he sees you the next time

In regards to a court hearing, that would only happen if said Trooper pulls me over gives me the same 3 violations that he warned me for. The Trooper needs to be educated on the differences of General Daily Transportation and limited personal use, which is allowed.

The officers in the Maryland State Police Automotive Safety Enforcement Division need to understand that all HMMWV produced by AM General and are now being sold at auction are the same minus the luxury features of the 1992 - 1996 Hummer H1. BTW, the civilian hummers were exempt from Federal Emissions Standards.

Hold my 1990 to that standard, it will pass.

US Army Veteran - I know the **** M998, not trying to cause issues for us law abiding citizens, just need proper education to the parties in power.

Last edited:

Action

The h1 and humvee are not the same. This has been discussed many times.
Why dont you drive your humvee to their office and educate them? Let us know how that goes when you get out.

JEB

When I started considering getting a HMMWV, I thought I better ask the question of whether I could get it licenced.
I stopped at a contract car licensing office and asked if I could run a HMMWV here.
They said no.
I called the DMV HQ in Olympia, they said yes.
I called the county licence office, "No", they said.
Called the DMV HQ again and asked to speak with a supervisor, well that's not allowed. (Why, are the celebrities?) but again was told yes.
Called the county...since I would have to go through them...they seemed miffed I didn't take their word as gospel the first time. They called DMV HQ...and the next day, the same person I had spoken to before...twice...said "No".

I called my state rep. After one staff member said they weren't interested in helpingme, I sent an email to the rep. And he said he'd get on it...coincidentally, it's an election year. He had a staffer call and asked questions about the truck...weight, engine etc. I stressed that structure wise, it was the same as a H1. She later called back and said the DMVHQ and State Police were both any licensing HMMWV because:
-weight,
-and handling
-pollution

I explained the Standard catalog of military Vehicles have the weight for a std. M998 as 5200 lbs.; he engine was a std. GM diesel as found in their trucks, and since it's pretty close to an H1 which is legal, I don't understand the "bad handling" complaint.

I also told her that SEMA has worked to legalize HMMWVs in several states, including Idaho, and Oregon (even more liberal than here in Washington).
So, the rep...If he gets reelected...will introduce an amendment to add HMMWV to the list eligible for Historic plates...which will work for me given my intended garage (not the Police/Sheriff/State Patrol seem to care, I have a decorative plate on my old, old car which I cover with a collector plate. I remove the collector plate at shows and have forgotten to put it back on and have driven for weeks with only the 1914 plate...no one has ever stopped me.
her
I've reached out to the state chapters of MVPA to ask their members to get their reps to support the bill...and have heard nothing.
Nada, zip. They don't care. The national office has been equally silent.

So, HMMWVs might be legal in Washington in the future.

jpfever

I don't know how many law enforcement officers I have driven by that have waved, nodded there heads in approval etc in the Communist State of Maryland. I don't know how many countless law enforcement officers I have passed and done nothing but let me pass in peace while driving my M998 in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.

Has any other FMV owners in Maryland thought of doing a rally on Annapolis or Glen Burnie or the MSP ASED location as members of MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) has? Heck, I would be down for educating our politicians on my truck. We elect them into office. Don't like them, then vote to get them out in the next election.

We as voters in this state have a voice, use it or roll over and let the negative stuff happen.

jpfever

I've offered to my elected official to get educated, grow a set, lets all go down and educate them.

If you are referring to the State Trooper who doesn't know what General Daily Use is versus Occasional Use is then we are all screwed.

jpfever

Military contract vehicles are exempt from meeting FVMSS but are required to meet MIL-STD-1180B which takes into consideration FVMSS.

Lights, heck, some people with Daytime running lights don't know how to turn on their normal lights. I see it every morning I commute to work.

I have offered to my elected official to come out and check out my MV. More than willing to educate someone.

We have a voice when we elect citizens into office that represent us, but some would rather roll over and do nothing. Use your voice, elect someone else.

How about a Rally on Annapolis or Glen Burnie, or are there too few of us in the state? MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) do it all the time.

AOR

A lot of our customers here are first responders including police officers , border patrol, Homeland etc everyone so far has really enjoyed seeing my personal HMMWV and they said they used to drive them when they in the service I think you just have a crappy trooper that has a thing for you. We rarely see state troopers in this area and the local governments typically do not get involved with vehicles and historic tags.
As for elections I am a registered republican I like to vote but I feel like my vote does not count in MD since most of the population in this state are democrats

TG5446

Does anyone have any thoughts on, or maybe has tried, organizing in a way similar to the Civil Air Patrol? We have these awesome vehicles with abilities, unlike other passenger cars. Police Departments, and Aid and rescue organizations all over are purchasing HMMWVs for use in SAR and swift water interventions, along with other natural disaster aid missions, so they must be good for something. I was up in Edgewater NJ, last week and the local police had an M998 two man and a Slantback.

I wonder how the state would look at an organization of conscientious citizens that are will put themselves and their vehicles into harm's way to help out their communities in times of need. CSAR -Civilian Search and Rescue could be a way to give some credibility and political clout to our desire to own and operate FMV's. Obviously, there would need to be some criteria and minimum training requirements, maybe like continuing education credits, but I feel like there might be some space for such an organization.

Maybe this is silly or has been tried, but its something I have given some thought to, especially having come across an overturned vehicle just a couple of weeks ago and assisting the local Fire Rescue organization with the recovery. I would gladly use the capabilities of my M998 to help anyone in need.

dunedigger

They H1 and HMMWV are similar and to the best of my knowledge they share the same body and some other parts but it stops there. My 1986 HMMWV does not have many safety features that would have been needed to pass federal safety standards in its day which as I understand it the H1 models have these items to make them comply
off the top of my head I will list some. No park, No dash padding, No neck protection because the seats are to short, Collapsing steering columns, Roll over protection , Backup lights , Bumpers that span the entire body width Mine did not really come any any bumpers . I don't think it would have met side impact protection either but I may be wrong. The horn and turn signals and brake lights can be left off while driving , The turn signal does not automatically cancel. I am sure I am missing many more things . I agree the troopers and law enforcement needs to be properly educated. Anyone who was driving lifted trucks in Montgomery County in the 1980s and 90s must surly remember officer Cook. He lost his daughter when she drove her small sports car under a lifted truck and lived to pull over all lifted vehicles . He may have only been a Rockville city cop I am not sure but everyone with a lifted vehicle knew who he was. Good luck not getting pulled over again hopefully that trooper gives you a break when he sees you the next time
One of the things that gets me, regardless of the technicalities, a vehicle 25 years or older is exempt from federal safety standards. The 2nd thing that really bothers me about the states having issues with them on the road, the M998 and H1 are not entirely different, for example, if I outfitted a M998 with every single part off an H1 because essentially the frame on body are the same, I still can not get an assembled vin or qualify for on road use. What sense does that really make? In my state I could strip an H1 and put all M998 components in it, paint it camo and there will never be a thing said, because it's an H1, the vin says. Just saying.

Last edited:

Action

One of the things that gets me, regardless of the technicalities, a vehicle 25 years or older is exempt from federal safety standards. The 2nd thing that really bothers me about the states having issues with them on the road, the M998 and H1 are not entirely different, for example, if I outfitted a M998 with every single part off an H1 because essentially the frame on body are the same, I still can not get an assembled vin or qualify for on road use. What sense does that really make? In my state I could strip an H1 and put all M998 components in it, paint it camo and there will never be a thing said, because it's an H1, the vin says. Just saying.
Throwing a bunch of parts on a vehicle will not get you an "assembled" label.

dunedigger

Throwing a bunch of parts on a vehicle will not get you an "assembled" label.
That's exactly what I said. What I am saying is you can't make a M998 road leagal by making it 100% identical to a legal Hummer H1. Why? I can build a model t out of ducktape and a bandaid. I can build my own car from scratch. I can swap cabs on a pickup, all will qualify me for an assembled Vin and title. But I can't build a m998 into an H1. Agree with me again if you like.

dunedigger

I think my main point is I can legally build a Hummer h1 into an M998. There is no law preventing me from applying for an assembled title after I "throw" M998 parts on it. The M998 as it sits stock meets every requirement for an assembled vehicle in my state. And before the new law a little over 2 years ago, specifically for side by side and humvee's you could get an assembled vin by doing nothing. There are plenty of them on the road that are grandfathered in before the anti Humvee assembled vin law. That got you the full vin digits.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Violations in order and I will address each one after I have listed them in order:

Number 1: MD: TA-13-703(g) Unauthorized display and use of a REG Plate.
- The actual law:
(g) Unauthorized display of registration plate.- A person may not display on or for a vehicle any registration plate that is neither:
(1) Issued for the vehicle; or (2) Otherwise lawfully used on or for the vehicle under this title.

2. MD: TA-13-704(b) Fraudulently applying for Vehicle Registration

(b) In any application for the registration of a vehicle, a person may not:
(1) Fraudulently use a false or fictitious name;
(2) Knowingly make a false statement;
(3) Knowingly conceal a material fact; or (4) Otherwise commit a fraud in making the application.

3. MD: TA-13-936E2I Unlawful use of Historic Truck for General Daily Transportation
(e) In applying for registration of a historic motor vehicle under this section, the owner of the vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and
(2) Will not be used:
(i) For general daily transportation; or
(ii) Primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

In the Traffic Violation Warning, the Trooper changed the model from Pickup Truck to Hummer.

Now to address the 3 violations:

1. The information on the Maryland issued title and registration was taken from an a title issued from another state. The Tag agent entered the information from the said title on to the Maryland forms, I signed, paid my fees and walked out with my historic tags. The former title listed the M998 as an AM General Pickup Truck. The tag and registration that was issued by the State of Maryland say AM General Pickup Truck.

2. I hid nothing from the State, knowingly or willingly, as I submitted an application for Title and Registration with proof of ownership of a 1990 AM General Pickup truck per the previous title. I contacted the Maryland Motor Vehicles and asked about this. The Agent confirmed that they would have taken the information from the previous title and listed the vehicle on the Maryland Title and Registration as an AM General Pickup Truck as it is currently.

3. Granted, I was hauling a trailer, but that has nothing to do with "General Daily Transportation." Give me a **** warning about the trailer, not me driving it on the occasion of my wife and I going for a spin. This truck sits in my driveway or in my garage Monday through Friday and is taken out occasionally for personal use. Which is allowed under the Maryland Transportation Statutes.

Prior to this stop, the Trooper has seen me once before using the truck to move a garden tractor from one house to another in the same trailer. He made no reference to seeing me driving my M998 on a regular basis, so where the **** he got me using it as "General Daily Transportation"; I have no clue. I have a separate vehicle for General Daily Transportation.

Trooper has a stiffy when if comes to folks in the area that have historic tags and driving the vehicles that the tag is attached to.

Not sure if the Trooper committed a crime by changing the model from Pickup Truck to Hummer in the Traffic Violation Warning, but I will retain this for future use if needed.

I honestly don't know of any model as Hummer that was offered by AM General. The brand "Hummer" was introduced in 1992 by AM General, with a model known as the H1 to the civilian population, which was based on the military version of the M998.

According to MVA had I listed "Hummer" on my application for title, I would have been committing FRAUD, as the Make/Model didn't exist in 1990. The MVA Rep stated I show go and get a certified copy of the Title File Record to take to court in the case this crap happens again. I so want to educate this A$$. Maybe it is time this Trooper becomes a desk jockey.

At the same time, I will not haul a trailer until I see my day in court, hoping that I can force the hand of the MSP to inspect my vehicle so I can legally pull a trailer in the Police/Communist State of Maryland.

In regards to a law where State owned vehicles are exempt from safety inspections in Maryland - there isn't one and since the agency does not pay tax on the vehicle, they are not required to have it inspected. What kind of crap is that?
Get a lawyer... expensive but necessary. Don't let this issue follow you around. We can all give advice, but you need an educated voice to verbalize your side of the story, IMHO. DON'T "F---" WITH THIS! Take a deep breath and then pay a professional to extricate you from the grasp of local laws gone sideways.

Your VIN tag should have alerted your DMV as to what this vehicle was and is, so that might help as far as fraudulent registration. A picture of a M998 in 2 and 4 door soft-top configuration might help as far as "pick-up", but I ain't a lawyer.

I feel for ya'

Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks