• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member Broke Down, SC

jwaller

ya, sounds terminal to me. if it is hydo locked pull a glow plug and drain it first. then I'd pull that valve cover and see what you can see.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, we can work something out. I have access to two engine hoists, and can get the engine in a can to you. I live in a townhouse though, I can't do it there. I'd be willing to tow you anywhere you need to go. If anything, I will at least be there around 4 or 5 twith tools so we can pull the valve cover/head, etc to see what's what.

I blew out a con rod bearing on an old 8 cylinder diesel in a locomotive once, plugged the injector line for that cylinder and cleaned the bits off the crank, and ran it to the shop 100 miles away like that. Also had an injector line on my 04 diesel blow, plugged it, and made it to my parents 200 miles away.

Maybe if the cylinder and rod aren't damaged too bad, we can pull the head and get the valve out, and at least get you somewhat mobile.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the way the crankshafts are prone to crack, I'd be willing to wager that it is also a possibility. Either way sounds like a swap is in order. Mike (scsg-g4) is close by and might have some resources and if all else fails and you guys can get it to Poppops farm, I'd bet my life that Lloyd would extend a helping hand and a wrecker to do the swap. Looks like Lloyd is about 140 miles out!

Stonepicker1

Update.
I pulled the glow plugs on the drivers side. The 3rd plug from the front was wet with fuel.
I then pulled the injector of the wet plug.
I was able to crank the engine over. Sounds good turning over.
I also have the pink wire disconnect at the pump.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, might be salvageable after all! Good luck Phil. You have injectors in that canned motor!!!!! Hope this works out to be an easy fix, even if it just limps home.

Stonepicker1

With the way the crankshafts are prone to crack, I'd be willing to wager that it is also a possibility. Either way sounds like a swap is in order. Mike (scsg-g4) is close by and might have some resources and if all else fails and you guys can get it to Poppops farm, I'd bet my life that Lloyd would extend a helping hand and a wrecker to do the swap. Looks like Lloyd is about 140 miles out!
Thanks Ken

i have the time, just need some tools and a dry place to work.

Any help would be great.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, I will be up at the museum in about an hour- call me if you need me to pull any parts off the canned engine, and I'll run them down to you.

Do you want me to just pull an entire head and bring it?