• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member Broke Down, SC

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have contact info for Joe Trapp? He's a really good guy too and his little excavator might be able to lift the engine. I know he would help if he were available.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro...when I finally got to meet you at the GA Rally, I decided you were a good troop as you had already helped another SS member getting there.

Now all I can say is that you have proved to be an OUTSTANDING troop.

If SS had an "Outstanding Troop of the Year Award", I would nominate you in a New York Minute...(That's really fast according to MB).

This one's for you Ferro:
I am in full agreement with this. As I said earlier, next year at the GA Rally Adam and Angie will eat free as I will be paying. Way above and beyond but kinda what I expect from a good number of the Steel Soldiers members.

bigugh20

PM me Mitch's address if you guys still need a hand getting that engine down. I live just outside Charleston and don't at all mind heading over to lend a hand.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, come on up Craig, and I'll see you there Mike. I'll PM it to you or Mitch might PM you straight.

Kenny, you don't have to do that, just lending a hand... I'm just proud to be a member of this 'fraternity'.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anyone reading this thread, that has done a 6.5 from Humvee to CUCV swap?

Anything not obvious, that they will need to know/do?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anyone reading this thread, that has done a 6.5 from Humvee to CUCV swap?

Anything not obvious, that they will need to know/do?
Oil pan will be close. Depending on the front springs, may need to drop the bump stops just a fraction.

Towman2277

I have a truck (10-ton Rollback) headed to Columbia, SC to pick up a large genset for our local Caterpillar shop. I made my shop guys load a "pristine" 6.5 humvee engine (crated) that I received awhile back from GL swapping, so worse xase scenario, if ya need a back-up engine, message me on here or pm me for my number, so I can arrange to have it dropped off to you. It's rare that I look on here and find someone I can actually help, so if needed, let me know! :lol:

jwaller

hmmwv eng into a cucv will require an oil pan, oil pump and pickup change, as well as glow plug, and depending on type of hmmwv eng, possibly water pump and backing plate swap. it is pretty easy stuff. if you can swap the eng then you can do this stuff too.

My hmmwv has a cucv engine in it. with the parts swapped you can never tell.

I have an engine lift at my shop off exit 55a if you want to go get it then your free to use it.

ranchhopper

I put a 6.5 in a 1009 oil pan misses the front axle by 1-2 inches if you use the stock IP on the humvee engine its 24 volts. I ran a wire from the positive bus bar on the firewall to a toggle switch to activate the solonoid in the IP.The bracket the throttle linkage on the IP is shorter on the 6.5 you will have to use the one from the original engine too.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stonepicker1 is taking pics, but has no way of uploading them right now. As of 7pm, he, his son PJ, and Craig are taking the truck apart to pull the old engine, while Adam and Mitch are working on pulling the new engine in-the-can off the M818. More updates will follow.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam and Craig have headed home and then to work. Phil and PJ are asleep, after having worked till about 8am. Almost everything is done with the new engine, but sleep will put fresher eyes on the last few tasks. I'm supposed to wake them after 1pm and then it's back to Mitch's compound to finish the job. They will probably leave for Florida on Friday morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks