• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A/003A Auto Start Kit

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Everybody!

Thank for all the feedback, comments, suggestion, questions and praise we received.

This unit was meant to be a very simple and affordable Auto / Remote Starter, compared to other off the shelf more advanced unit’s but which are also quite more expensive.

As a short introduction about INOVA HIGHTECH, We would kindly ask you to visit this link here:

https://www.logisticsinformationservice.dla.mil/BINCS/details.aspx?CAGE=6ZJM5&DUNS=943202002

We would like to answer a few questions here at this point:

The Auto Starter meets almost all applicable Mil-Std, except that we didn’t perform and EMI or EME test’s up to 40 Ghz, as this unit is not meant to be operated in Combat.

Pre Heat Times:
The Pre Heat Time is cumulative. As where the Switch turns the Pre Heat On and Off with each move off the position off the switch. Each change in switching position causes the Glow Plug to cool off by several 100's Degrees.
On our board, the Pre Heat is on until the Generator switches to RUN MODE
I guarantee, that this board, as long as the Glow Plugs are in fully working condition will start the unit successfully the first time even in the coldest winter days.
IMPORTANT: FOLLOW THE MILITARY INSTRUCTIONS FOR OPERATING IN COLD CLIMATE OR SPECIAL SITUATION AND CHANGE YOUR OIL AND DIESEL ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL.

NFPA-110 industry standard:
Applies to Non Military Grade Generators, which have a different internal electrical structure all together.
There are only a few possible startup failures for an MEP:
1. Low and No Oil Pressure
2. Defective Glow Plugs
3. Problem with the Fuel Supply
4. Malfunctioning Governor

The Circuit Board monitors the Oil Pressure and Over Heat Circuit. The Input starts monitoring the Oil Pressure circuit as soon as the Board goes from Startup to Run. If the Oil Pressure Switch is not engaged at this point, then the board assumes that there is a problem with the Generator and prevents any further starts to protect your valuable asset for further damage.
Simply pull the DC Breaker for about 5 seconds and the Board will reset it self and you can go through the Start Procedure again.
Manual Start and Operation with Switch S1 are not affected when the board is in LOW OIL Mode. Only the Auto / Remote Start Option is disabled in this event.

Follow the Original Military Manual for selecting the appropriate Engine Oil, especially in Cold Weather. A lighter weight Oil will built up Oil Pressure faster and protect your engine much better.

Installation / Operating Manual:

Please sent us an email: sales@inovahightech.com

with subject: MEP Autostarter Manual

We will start sending them out tomorrow [Saturday 12.07.2013] via reply e-mail

Repairs:

We can fix and Repair any of the Boards from any of the MEP Series Generators. We have most of the Original NSN Parts in stock or suitable replacements.

You need to mail us your defective circuit board.

Thank you! Peter E. Albrecht

Last edited by a moderator:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the first Video - Sorry No HD - I had no blank DVD Disc for our HD CAM - also Video stops because the battery went dead - I will post two more videos after they have finished uploading to youtube within the next hour

http://youtu.be/lh58h5UAz5U

storeman

Peter,
You need to repost your e-mail link from

"Please sent us an email: sales[at]inovahightech.com"

To
"sales@inovahightech.com"
What you posted creates an e-mail error for those who might be interested but are not aware of how to fix the address. I believe you can go to your detailed posting and edit it.
Jerry:grd:

95blklsc

Thanks for posting those. You gave us a lot of great info about your auto-start set up. It's really awesome to see new custom controllers for an old gen set like this! I think my 003A came from the same tier two reset group as yours. Mine was also rebuilt in 2006 and it's desert tan. Although mine was free of sand. i think the original build date was 82 on mine.

storeman

Peter,
For those of us who are pressed for time, and perhaps $ (given the season), might I suggest you extend you offer for a week or so? That would give the electronically challenged among us (me) a chance to read and absorb the installation instructions. Can you suggest a source and indicate a price for the switch which must be locally procured? I have 2 MEPs and would certainly want to equip both but I don't have a sensing of the total cost. Am sure there are others out there on SS in a similar situation.
Thanks,
Jerry

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jerry,

Sure, we will give you a rain check on the deal. If someone has a particular question or issue then I will try to post a video with the solution on youtube.

So please feel free to ask questions.

I have another 7 units which I haven't built yet, so there will be plenty more. However I wanted to see on how the sales would go with the first 3 units before stoicking up on inventory.

As Switch you can use a regular light switch mounted at a convenient location.

As Contactor for 240 VAC Single Phase and three phase operations I would recommend the following Allen & Bradley Contactor for a 002A or 003A - it has 13KW AC3 Rating and can be mounted with a small piece of DIN RAIL, but may need some additional support against vibration

ALLEN BRADLEY CONTACTOR 24VDC COIL AC-1 85A 100-C43Z*00 / 100-C43DJ01 SER. A
Model #: 100-C43Z*00 Ser. A ; 100-C43DJ01 Ser. A

But you see for your self on ebay - basically any 3 Phase Contactor with a +13KW AC3 Rating will do and preferably a 24 VDC coil [Control Voltage]

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac-1

Thanks will do, just have to wait a bit, my wife and I just put an offer in on a new house this week, plus I have already spent over $400 on generator toys in the last month (injectors, spin on oil filter, new starter, etc.)

storeman

Peter,
I've looked at the e-bay link you provided for the contactor. It is 85 amp and you discussed 60 amp. Any impact on operation?

Do you have a solution you can show us on wiring and mounting the contactor to protect it from vibration? It has a very brittle molded case and an apparent small mounting base.
Jerry

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jerry,

The best thing would be to mount the contactor in a separate enclosure and run a 4-4 soow cable from the Generator Terminals to the Enclosure and from there either a 4-4 soow cable or conduit etc. to the point on where the power is needed - Similar to what you got in your picture. I would also wire our 4 wire control cable to this box too. Two wire will go to the coil of the contactor and the other two wire can go to your switch.

I am aware of the vibration issue - the mounting is what we call DIN RAIL and the unit can be locked in with two DIN RAIL END STOPS on each side.

The 85 Amps for this contactor is for AC1 which is resistive loads. The AC3 Rating is 13 KW which is about 54-60 Amps - AC3 is for mostly inductive loads

So, the the rating you would look for in a Datasheet for a Contactor is the AC3 Rating at the Voltage you are intending to use i.e 208V 220V 240V 400V etc.

storeman

Peter,

I've looked at your listing. There is no "Best Offer" option. Have made an offer for two of the contactor switches but have not had a response. if I can get the contactors at a reasonable price, I intend to try two of your controls for the price of one and be your guinea pig.

If I can make it all work, anyone on the board can. Need to know how you want to handle this.

Jerry

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the comments.
Thanks Jerry for your purchase.

Please be advised that I am in the office from

9am to 6pm CST Monday through Saturday and sometimes on Sundays.

I do not have internet at home - only in the office

Thanks

Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks