• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 016B Fuel issue(Hurricane Ida help)

36racin

Purchased what I thought and what was advertized as a MEP701A 3k gen 3-4 years ago. with the ask covers. When i remove the top cover today the tag says it's a MEP 016B . From what I have seen they are the same....Onan powered....Completed the battery modification, did all maintenance on it and got it running. At the time was making 110V power. And then it sat for several years......... Hurricane Ida came thru forcing me to need it again so I went thur everything....Replace bad batteries and attempted to start.....NOT getting fuel. Pumped manual lever until all was full and returning to the tank. But not getting fuel to the injector. Solenoid is working but the shaft going inside the fuel pump was stuck. Worked it loose(and broke the plastic linkage) doing so. Will need one of those too. Still no fuel to the injector, Can get it to pop off with eather. So I know it will start(eventually) once I figure this fuel issue out. Any suggestions?? Anyone close to Baton Rouge with a 701 or 016 that can assist?

No real house damage other than singles and wood fence....so we are currently ok....Want to use the diesel gen on my pool pump and water well pump.....My little Yamaha gen cant handle all that....

Thanks,
Todd

36racin

Ok next question....I have injection pump disconnected and the three bolts off. i can rotate pump some and lift about 1/2 inch but the pump will not come out...Read in the manual to rotate governor shaft half its stroke and it should come out....Mine will not....Any suggestions?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok next question....I have injection pump disconnected and the three bolts off. i can rotate pump some and lift about 1/2 inch but the pump will not come out...Read in the manual to rotate governor shaft half its stroke and it should come out....Mine will not....Any suggestions?
I don't have a solid answer, but I recently saw discussion about the injector pump freezing up if a truck (or generator) sits for a long time. With age, the fuel dries up and creates a gummy sticky mess. That might have something to do with not being able to rotate the pump to get it out MAYBE?

Hopefully some of the guys with power making skills can help with solid answers.

I just added more information. Seems like the problem you have now could be what is being discussed now.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

This should help, take a look at this thread.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Sounds like you found the problem. Hopefully all goes well with getting the injection pump freed up and returned to working order. Reading CallMeColt's thread its fairly easy & straightforward once you get into it.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is a well known and often seen problem with this set. You are on the right track.

The linkage end is a common part. should not be hard to find. Temp fix is epoxy glue.

36racin

This is a well known and often seen problem with this set. You are on the right track.

The linkage end is a common part. should not be hard to find. Temp fix is epoxy glue.
I got the injection off, apart, back together and gen set is running and making 110v power. Now i have to figure out how to get 220 and get it connected to a circuit breaker panel so I can power up some 220 pumps.

Linkage is temp fixed(tie wraps) for now...Will find replacement part of better quality when the elect company gets reg power back working to house...

Thanks,
Todd

Zed254

This thread will get you started. It is for an MEP-803A but addresses many of the questions you will encounter.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can anyone guide me in connecting this gen to the house?
It is Fairly IMPORTANT for you to not kill the Linemen working to repair your electrical service. If you plug your generator into your panel box (breaker box) up at the top - where the service comes in from the road - you will be powering everything on that line in every direction.

Right now - with no power to your breaker panel from the street - you could take a gamble and "disconnect yourself from the grid" . The gamble is that power is restored to the lines on the street and YOU get electrocuted.

When "street power" is restored, you will need a licensed electrician and most likely a permit to reattach your house to the grid.

Best option might be for you run drop cords for things that need 220v

----------

Just before I pushed the "save" button, Zed254 posted a link with lots of information about what you want to do. Just please - think it out carefully - Killing yourself or somebody else could cause an already uncomfortable situation to become much worse.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a modern electric service with a disconnect at the main breaker box or outside by the meter box, just turn it off. If you have an older service with no disconnect (like I have), pull the meter. Cover the opening because the house side connectors will be hot with the generator on if you are back feeding through an outlet. You can probably turn the meter sideways so the terminals don't make contact with the box terminals and reinstall it to cover the opening.

36racin

As luck would have it just as we were setting up to connect the gen the power was restored.....I will set up and pre-wire it for the next time....Anyone have a set of gen power cables in south louisiana?? I'd like to set the gen up on an old boat trailer with a fuel tank.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As luck would have it just as we were setting up to connect the gen the power was restored.....I will set up and pre-wire it for the next time....Anyone have a set of gen power cables in south louisiana?? I'd like to set the gen up on an old boat trailer with a fuel tank.
Great News!
Happy to hear that you have "street power" at your place!

Sure would be nice to find all the supplies you need for next time like you said.

You might look in the "Classifieds" section for cables and maybe even a generator trailer.
If not, maybe you could post a request...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get either a generator interlock kit installed, or a sub panel for generator use.
What others posted, saying that you can kill linemen if wired incorrectly, is 100% true. Linemen HAVE been killed by homeowners incorrectly wiring in generators. Backfeeding it into the house through a dryer outlet or something like that is 100% ILLEGAL and just plain wrong.

That being said, we're talking about a 3kw generator here. At most it will power the lights and maybe a small 120V appliance or two. Setting it up to power 240V through the panel is kind of overkill. It's nice for the convenience of it, but you're very limited on what you can actually plug in, and running on extension cords keeps anyone from forgetting it's on generator power and doing things like turning on the hair dryer in one room while someone else tries running the microwave, and stuff like that. Not saying it will happen, but it can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks