• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Will no longer start seems to be fuel issue not sure how.

deherenman

Legally Blind poster here.
Bought MEP-803A back in Jul of 2023 Running off GP. Did fluid change oil, coolant, All filters/canisters. Replaced fuel return line from CallMeColt kit. New fuses thanks to help from Kurt. New batteries with battery maintainers.
Unit would start almost instantly. Ran the unit about 10-15 hours all told. Unit has 6400 plus hours.
Main issue I am having. Since February of 2024 I can not get the unit to start. I could get it to start with either / gasoline on a rag. I know not good for unit. Stopped using either now have WD40 Acts like it isn't getting fuel.
On oil filter side of engine Fuel solenoid is working moves back and forth with key is turned.
Getting stream of fuel out of fuel metal line where the low pressure line connects. Getting fuel when cracking metal lines just below main metal fuel line.
When cracking the lines at the point of each injector I don't seem to be getting much if any fuel on top of engine.

Now if i remove air filter rubber hose and spray diesel fuel direct in to air intake after air filter unit will run but only until spray fuel is burned up. Seems like " fuel rack " not sure how to access fuel rack? See shared video.. I have been through TM 9-2815-253-24. Fuel system / injectors.

Please point in right direction. Keeping in mind I have vary bad eye sight.

1st Starting July 27 2023
Fuel stream Jun 24 2024 https://youtube.com/shorts/GrJ3Z_p8Z74?si=nTipfcEMYw8vQqQY
Will not stay runing Jun 24 2024 https://youtube.com/shorts/JGc_Bwa21mc?si=rfciDNUqUkNOYjpd

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd recommend the following to see if the rack is stuck.
Remove the plug on the side of the governor that's used to access the Droop Adjustment screw. This..
1000001716.jpg

Then look right thru the hole and you will see a rectangular metal block. This block is connected to the left end if the rack. Watch that block while you manually retract the fuel solenoid. The square block should move right out of sight. If it doesn't then the rack is stuck.

Also check to be sure the linkage from the fuel shutoff solenoid is still connect and that the rotating arm on the governor body and that it rotates fully from touching the stop limit screw to the run limit screw while the solenoid moves from the stop position to the run position.

deherenman

Kurt thank you for the reply. Greatly appreciated. I might need a slightly zoomed out picture. Make sure I'm looking at the right thing. I will look when I am next to back at the unit to see if it is the rack. All my linkage still seems to be sliding with the fuel solenoid. I will double check that as well and report back with results might be next week.

Is there a reason that the rack would all of a suddenly start sticking? And as there a cleaning procedure or maintenance that can be done to prevent rack sticking in the future or is the rack replaceable?

Ray70

The linkage will appear normal on the outside even if it's frozen ( due to a sticky metering pump ) on the inside.
The rack is not directly connected to the rack, the only connection in the opening position is a spring, so if a pump is sticking the linkage outside the engine pulls on the spring inside, but the rack won't open.
Crack the lines loose at the top of the metering pumps and crank the engine for 20 seconds from the main switch, not the dead crank.
If no fuel is spurting from the loosened hard lines you can bet for sure one of the metering pumps is holding the rack in the closed position.
If you remove them, do yourself a favor, remove 3 and leave one in place.
Clean and install the first 3, then remove the last.
Removing all 4 lets the fuel rack move too far forward and makes reinstalling the pumps much more difficult than if you leave 1 in place to keep the rack in position.