• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-805a

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I have and it says 3 phase.

I my question is has anyone used the MEP-805A for just signal phase power?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the MEP-805a is just a 3 phase generator and a little newer then the MEP-005a.

Buzz254

MEP-805A is a John Deere Turbocharged "newer" diesel.
The MEP-005A is an old white/herculese engine (no turbo)
Also, the frame of the 005 is the old style doors and locks
The new 805 has the new style turn/click locks...and is q "TQ" unit to start with.

ETN550

I'm going to say yes because both a 6 lead and 12 lead machine can be wired for single phase. And being existing 3 phase it is going to be one or the other. However, there needs to be some investigation. Assume the controls will need to be re-worked so the breakers and power meters function properly. Sewerzuk's threads on the MEP-004 conversions would give you an idea. However those 004 units are a lot simpler. One additional possible complication is the newer machines may have more sophisiticated voltage regulation with 3 phase sensing. This type of regulation allows for more imbalance without the 3 legs becoming too far apart in voltage. Exactly how that would be made to work with single phase might need some investigation. The resulting single phase output will be reduced partly because of the way the windings get re-connected but also, even further reduced if the gage of the wiring on the breakers is not replaced with larger, particularly if the single phase re-connection is for the lower of the possible voltages.

Unless you are getting a really good deal or already have the unit this coluld be a sizable undertaking to do it right and safely. 2cents

Buzz254

Check out another post I made concerning the MEP-016B generator wiring. Can be done easily if you posses the proper training, knowledge and tools. Google "push-pull" generator wiring.

Munchies

The CT's and the watt transducers are very similar to the 005A. Infact have the same input/outputs on them. I recently used a 805A watt transducer on a 005A. It is thinner/smaller guess they got the trasnformer coil size down with more modern windings or something.

If you REALLY knew what you were doing, it is still a 12 lead gen head. it could be done. Getting the protection gear on board to work with the changes might be kind of difficult.

TRC in florida makes most of the control/monitoring gear on these. Dont bother trying to get a hold of anyone at TRC. It's like they dont exist, yet have about 500 employees. Crazy :shock:

I would buy a 005A over a 805A.
Not much to gain except a big hole in the wallet.

RobGlass

I know it's been a while since you posted your question and it may no longer matter to you.
I have an mep-805a and it does single phase 120 or 208. It's very quiet, very clean power (no problems for my computers) and acts as if it could go on that way forever.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's been a while since you posted your question and it may no longer matter to you.
I have an mep-805a and it does single phase 120 or 208. It's very quiet, very clean power (no problems for my computers) and acts as if it could go on that way forever.
Thanks for your input, I ended up getting a Mep-005a.

leedawg

You mean it does 3 phase 120/208 not single phase no?

I am pretty sure that is what you mean that is why you are pulling 208 between any of the three line lugs not 240. So you are only getting 2/3 the power output of the 30kw rated power it can produce. Post up a video of it in action I would love to see one running. I just picked up an 803a a few months ago and have two 005a's. The 005a I did the conversion to put it in low zig zag wiring for true single phase 120/240 output however as mentioned here they are loud. Mine sits in a shed with exhaust ported out and is not to bad from 100 ft away just a low drone but still some noise to it.

RobGlass

MEP-805a

You mean it does 3 phase 120/208 not single phase no?

I am pretty sure that is what you mean that is why you are pulling 208 between any of the three line lugs not 240. So you are only getting 2/3 the power output of the 30kw rated power it can produce. Post up a video of it in action I would love to see one running. I just picked up an 803a a few months ago and have two 005a's. The 005a I did the conversion to put it in low zig zag wiring for true single phase 120/240 output however as mentioned here they are loud. Mine sits in a shed with exhaust ported out and is not to bad from 100 ft away just a low drone but still some noise to it.
Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Yes, 120 off each of the three legs. 2 legs = 208. You only use two to run your house. I recently put a three phase load center on with a second 50amp outlet so I can pull more if I want to. I don't know why I would need to. :).
I run it and power the house every three months for 3 to 4 hours. I pull it out onto the driveway. I have it on some really big casters. Can't even hear it in the house.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks