• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Sizing Help

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, it's at least something you can learn. I never drove anything with a trailer, before my first field problem in 1973. The old hands just laughed and told me, "newbe, just do it it". Well the newbe just did it. I screwed up two trailers, and one night drove through some Germans barb wire fence, not once, but two times, before I got the hang of it.

Another Ahab

Well, it's at least something you can learn. I never drove anything with a trailer, before my first field problem in 1973. The old hands just laughed and told me, "newbe, just do it it". Well the newbe just did it. I screwed up two trailers, and one night drove through some Germans barb wire fence, not once, but two times, before I got the hang of it.

191661650972-0.jpg

eatont9999

I got the generators with no issues. Unloaded two of them at the new house by hooking them up to a post in the workshop and pulling the trailer forward, sliding them down the ramp. The third one is still in the bed of my truck. Not sure how I will get that one out yet. I won't have time to check them out until next week after we are moved in. For now, I need to finish packing the house, move the wife, kid and cats. Yay for fun...

csheath

Sounds like everything is working out for you. Closing on a new to you house and moving is quite a chore without having to go pick up more generators than you bargained for. ;)

storeman

If anyone finds a torque wrench with in/lbs at a reasonable price please let me know. The cheapest I have ever found is in the $100+ range and I can't justify spending that on a tool that is not used much. Although I have needed it on 3 different occasions so far. I usually hand tight the well nuts, then take a 3/8 drive ratchet and turn it 2 full rotations and that sets the well nut fine.
Still looking? I have one bar type and several screw driver micrometer types. All govt surplus, used, good condition. If interested, pm me.
Jerry

eatont9999

All went well picking up the generators and making the trip home. Only two would fit on the trailer, so I have one in the pickup bed. Not sure how I am going to get that one out of there yet. Luckily I don't notice it in the back of the pickup minus the lack of cargo space. I started work on the unit with 5000 hours. So far, it needs a fuel pump and the radiator fixed. I ordered a pump on fleabay and I am thinking of taking the rad to a repair shop and see if they can mend the leak. I hooked up a spare 12v fuel pump and ran the unit for about 20 minutes. Seemed to run fine minus the issues mentioned. I ordered some consumables online for the 3 units, so I can replace those parts before I sell them.

Working on some pics for you guys.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not see a ground cable to your generator. These unknown units are particularly scary. Very likely could have ground fault. I certainly don't want to see you or anyone else being a ground rod. Stay safe.

Unit sounds good.

eatont9999

I didn't think of that. If the shop is grounded, can I connect a ground wire to the frame or breaker box or do I need to run a ground rod outside?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont use my shop electrical ground, I have a dedicated grounding rod outside the shop just for generators.

The reason being I wont use my shop ground is, if by chance something goes fubu and a 805B throws 300 amps of power the wrong place, then my whole shop gets 300 amps of power thru all the other circuits,.... battery chargers, computer, air compressors, lights,...... that is a worst case, perfect storm situation, but it could happen.

There may be some out there that say, oh the electricity goes straight to ground, well yes it does, but let me put this thought in your head as a small test. I will hook up a Gallagher fence charger to the same place you ground your genny to, next I will ground the fence charger to a 8' grounding rod 2' from the fence charger, now you try to open the door to the shop.... almost every time you will get shocked, not like the full force of the fence charger, more like a 9v battery but you will still get shocked.

Soo, every time I start a genny, it will be grounded, especially on a new to me, or unknown condition genny.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The only problem with separate grounds is if you have potential on one ground system, and you somehow get connected to both of them, you become the conductor between them. here in Germany everything is bonded, and grounded.

Chris, explain the difference and the who what and why.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought he was talking about maintenance, service, and load testing, not producing power for consumption.

When I am load testing/troubleshooting, I always bond N and Ground, and then ground the genny and the trailer to the outside ground.

If I am load testing, then the load tester gets a ground from the load tester ground lug to the same ground the genny is hooked too.

If I am producing power for consumption, I unbond the N and ground, the 2 hots and N go to the genny connection box, and the GND and trailer ground go to a seperate ground rod farther than 8 feet from any power pole.

Last edited:

jamawieb

The float in the storage box is the sender for the aux fuel pump and the low fuel fault indicator. In the TM is a way to ohm it to see if its good. You got a good score!

jamawieb

Just some pointers.
1st You'll want to run the unit a little above 60hertz, I usually set all mine to 61.5 hertz so when they are fully loaded you will be at 59..9
2nd If you run it long make sure you move it away from the wall on the left side. One each side, it has screens that pull in the fresh air and they don't need to be blocked.
3rd If you start load testing and you get an overload fault with anything under 12kw your going to need to work your reconnection switch and AV/VM switch several times while spraying with a cleaning solution. These generators should read 125% on the load meter continuously without an overload fault. I see this a lot with higher hour units. Usually you'll see the percent load gauge not working properly either.
Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks