• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep004 reads 0 phase to phase 480 phase to ground

Guyfang

Staff member
Typical A5 Failure. The K5 relay should be ok, but TEST, TEST, TEST! And as you see, the R3 & R6 have been hot. Typical. They need to be tested also.

I kept 2-3 of the A5 Cards in my desk, or in the jump box. The beauty of the A5 card was it fit all gen sets from 15 KW to 100 KW.

I also kept an A11 in my "stuff" as well as a A27, (Special Relay box). Not because they were super high failure items. In the A27, the only parts that EVER failed were the A5 and K3 start relay. But because when you are running an Air Defense system, time can mean the difference between shooting down aircraft and getting overrun by aircraft. Not healthy. So we just switched out the bad box, and repaired it when we had some time. We rarely even put in more that two mounting bolts, if even that.

catienla

@catienla Mike,

I am posting a few pictures from your zip file.
It looks to me that the burnt traces are connecting to the K5 relay and we should trace their connections and check with the DC wiring diagram to see which part of the circuit they connect to.
There maybe a lot more damage in your Genset then just A5, but we won’t know this for sure until we figure out exactly where these relay points connect to in the overall scheme of things.
I will be back Monday, but someone else may can fill in the voids.

View attachment 924843

View attachment 924844
[/QUOTE Thank you very much. Looks like screws 2 and 15. I'll try to find where they go or originate. I didn't want to buy a new A5 and smoke it.

catienla

Can I download the TM to a zip drive and have it printed? Don't have service where gen set is, have to go back and forth from computer to generator. I have a manual TM9-6115-464-12 is this sufficient?

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes they can. I only used a laptop and sticks when troubleshooting as a FMT. I always liked paper best! But when you have um-teen different possible sets to work on, the laptop made the work easier. Not so much to carry. Those TM's are sufficient to troubleshoot. Go to the section in the -34 for the tests for the A5 card and relays.

Attachments

catienla

Mike,
How is the testing coming along?
Started to do test and in reading the procedure some of it includes #2 and #15 terminals. These are the ones the traces are burnt. Should I just do a partial test or solder a wire to replace burnt traces? Is test done with A5 out of relay box and unwired or with box hooked to gen set as it would be installed?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started to do test and in reading the procedure some of it includes #2 and #15 terminals. These are the ones the traces are burnt. Should I just do a partial test or solder a wire to replace burnt traces? Is test done with A5 out of relay box and unwired or with box hooked to gen set as it would be installed?
Test is a bench test, A5 out of box. Solder the two burnt traces back together

catienla

Thanks for the confidence booster but I think there is a long row to hoe to get even close to the knowledge you guys have. I do enjoy learning though. Board is in relay box, will install box and check F1 and F2 in the morning. If there is nothing else to test before start up I'll try it tomorrow and let you know. If this works should I go ahead and purchase a new board either to replace the repaired one or to have a spare. You did mention you kept several spares. Thanks so much for the help. Mike

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am producing power 130vac at breaker box. Thank you guys again for your help. Would be in the dark without you. Now I am going to start on an 8kw with antifreeze in the oil pan. Thanks again. Mike
Mike,
Great Job,
There is a rheostat on the front panel where you can adjust the output Voltage. If it doesn't adjust anymore, then just get a new rheostat.