• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep006a

thesnieder

I got myself a 1978fermont mep006a when I purchased it they said I just needed a new fuel pump fuel lines and batteries to get it up and running. But once I got that done I flipped the switch and nothing happened. I’ve tried to read the wiring schematics. But I can’t find anything telling me this is what this is for and this is what that is for. So I could figure out where I’m losing power so I can start this generator. If you guys have any idea how to help me that would be great. Or if you live in the Salt Lake City area and are willing to come over and take a look and help me out that would be great

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, lets slow down a bit. Take this one step at a time. The 006A is an easy set to troubleshoot.

1. Have you downloaded all the TM's for your set? Have you read the operators TM, to learn what is what? How to properly start the set? They are here in the TM forum if not.
2. Tell us what it will and will not do. You are a bit skimpy on on that. It sounds like it will not start, but by not start, do you mean the set will turn over, and not start and run? Or do you mean the starter will not engage?
3. Are the battery's fully charged?
4. are any idiot lights on?
5. Are you sure nothing else is missing from the set?
6. "New fuel pump"? What fuel pump? The electric fuel pumps? The Injector Pump?

Balls in your court.

thesnieder

OK, lets slow down a bit. Take this one step at a time. The 006A is an easy set to troubleshoot.

1. Have you downloaded all the TM's for your set? Have you read the operators TM, to learn what is what? How to properly start the set? They are here in the TM forum if not.
2. Tell us what it will and will not do. You are a bit skimpy on on that. It sounds like it will not start, but by not start, do you mean the set will turn over, and not start and run? Or do you mean the starter will not engage?

Balls in your court.
So when I purchased the unit they told me all I needed to do was replaced some fuel lines and fuel pumps and new batteries. So I got them replaced and hooked up the batteries and went to flick the switch and nothing happened I tried flicking the battle short switch to get the fuel pumps to turn on and nothing.I put my voltage meter to the switches power is going in and out of them. But it’s not getting to all the parts I tested the starter and it works. I am thinking it is the relay assy special 70-1053 be more Pacific Dc relat assy 69-768 but not knowing what dose what thats just a guess

thesnieder

So when I purchased the unit they told me all I needed to do was replaced some fuel lines and fuel pumps and new batteries. So I got them replaced and hooked up the batteries and went to flick the switch and nothing happened I tried flicking the battle short switch to get the fuel pumps to turn on and nothing.I put my voltage meter to the switches power is going in and out of them. But it’s not getting to all the parts I tested the starter and it works. I am thinking it is the relay assy special 70-1053 be more Pacific Dc relat assy 69-768 but not knowing what dose what thats just a guess
My cell number is (801) 624-0781

Guyfang

Staff member
So when I purchased the unit they told me all I needed to do was replaced some fuel lines and fuel pumps and new batteries. So I got them replaced and hooked up the batteries and went to flick the switch and nothing happened (by that, what do you mean, "nothing"? Do the panel lights work? Will the Fault Indicator light up when you turn the S2, (start switch) to the run position?) I tried flicking the battle short switch (when you turn on the S7, (Battle Short) will the DS7, (Battle short light) come on?) to get the fuel pumps to turn on (unhook one of the electric fuel pumps. Measure from the J5, (electric fuel pump connector) for 24 VDC, with the S2 in run and the S7 in the up position. Measure from pin to ground. What you get?) and nothing.I put my voltage meter to the switches power is going in and out of them. But it’s not getting to all the parts I tested the starter and it works. (good that the starter works, but its rarely the problem)

I am thinking it is the relay assy special 70-1053 be more Pacific Dc relat assy 69-768 but not knowing what dose what thats just a guess.
Dont jump ahead.

Answer my questions. It helps find a place to start. Are there any wires not connected? Or C-Plugs, (canon plugs) not hooked up or loose? The only wires not used on the set are 2 on the left front side, by the thermostat housing.

My cell number is (801) 624-0781 You did look at where I live? I lived in Roy 50 years ago. But now its a bit farther.

thesnieder

My cell number is (801) 624-0781 You did look at where I live? I lived in Roy 50 years ago. But now its a bit farther.
I used the volt meter on the panel there is voltage there and coming out of the on off switch.the lights turn on. At the pump i read 850 Omes. Bu

Guyfang

Staff member
I used the volt meter on the panel there is voltage there and coming out of the on off switch.the lights turn on. At the pump i read 850 Omes. Ohms is not what we want. VDC is what we want.

1608322753573.png
This is the A5 card, Its been hot. Dosnt mean its bad, but it needs to be checked and should be repaired, so as to NOT become a problem along the way. But we can go a bit farther the way it is.
1608322820917.png
This is the A4 card. It looks like it was hot also, Needs to be tested and maybe repaired. THE K1 Relay is missing, so its no wonder nothing works. So much for replacing fuel lines and filters. Is this the only things you can find wrong?

1608323188326.png
Looks like the TTM, Time totalizing Meter is missing?

thesnieder

I used the volt meter on the panel there is voltage there and coming out of the on off switch.the lights turn on. At the pump i read 850 Omes. Ohms is not what we want. VDC is what we want.

View attachment 821105
This is the A5 card, Its been hot. Dosnt mean its bad, but it needs to be checked and should be repaired, so as to NOT become a problem along the way. But we can go a bit farther the way it is.

View attachment 821106
This is the A4 card. It looks like it was hot also, Needs to be tested and maybe repaired. THE K1 Relay is missing, so its no wonder nothing works. So much for replacing fuel lines and filters. Is this the only things you can find wrong?

View attachment 821109
Looks like the TTM, Time totalizing Meter is missing?
Do you know any one that would rebuild this board

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Slow down.
Great pictures!
I hope you removed the Neg battery cable, before removing all this stuff.

1. Now, I want you to take the A4 card out, and do the same thing. Picture of both sides.
2. Then, put both cards BACK into the gen set, and hook them up right. Even though they MIGHT be bad, we can still troubleshoot the no start problem. How can we do that with the K1 relay missing?
3. Remove the Fault Indicator. Take the side panels off. You will see a relay just like the missing K1 relay. Take the relay out of the fault indicator, and put it into the K1 relay socket.
4. Hook up the neg battery cable.
5. Push in the CB1, (DC circuit breaker, something else you should always pull out when shutting down the set, or working on it.)
6. Turn S2 into the run position and flip up the S7. Do you hear electric fuel pumps? if so, let them run until they slow down.
7. Turn the S2 to the start position. Will the starter crank over?

thesnieder

Slow down.
Great pictures!
I hope you removed the Neg battery cable, before removing all this stuff.

1. Now, I want you to take the A4 card out, and do the same thing. Picture of both sides.
2. Then, put both cards BACK into the gen set, and hook them up right. Even though they MIGHT be bad, we can still troubleshoot the no start problem. How can we do that with the K1 relay missing?
3. Remove the Fault Indicator. Take the side panels off. You will see a relay just like the missing K1 relay. Take the relay out of the fault indicator, and put it into the K1 relay socket.
4. Hook up the neg battery cable.
5. Push in the CB1, (DC circuit breaker, something else you should always pull out when shutting down the set, or working on it.)
6. Turn S2 into the run position and flip up the S7. Do you hear electric fuel pumps? if so, let them run until they slow down.
7. Turn the S2 to the start position. Will the starter crank over?
I have a new a4 card coming and new relays every thing on the card is dead. I found me a used one that’s supposed to be a working one i will let you know when it comes

thesnieder

How do you know? Did you test it?

The same for the A4 card. Did you test it IAW the TM? The A4 is simple.
All the components are fried unfortunately like you said so much for just replacing fuel pumps and fuel lines. I have this card coming but for the one I first took out i am having troubles finding the parts hoping to have some one look at the cards on Monday to see if they can rebuild it for me

thesnieder

Thank you. As soon as i can find the part i can solder the new ones on the board
I found some good use board they should be here next week one by Tuesday the a4 board but the other board has been sent to acs to get rebuilt i am supposed to get that one next week as well thats if the holidays don’t delay it thanks for the help you have given me so far. Merry Christmas buddy