• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Midwinter Winterization

UPFINN

Well howdy and all that Cold stuff from North Dakota....everything has a heater........I got a m35A2 last year ....made sure it had a hardtop and heater installed.....had the shop put a block heater for the engine also........I bought the Ether start kit for it on line....had the shop put it on also..that was mid AUG.....This last Xmas she fired just fine.......I have a remote start for the Duece..called the kids..hehehehe looking to buy some chains for it next...My hats off to you doing all of the work in the cold...May it come to a Very good end for you ...later gator.....Nice pixs also....
When my dad and I picked up our truck, we could have gotten a hardtop for $400 extra. Seems a bit much. I really wonder how much of a difference a hardtop makes in the cold. Are they insulated? Only bonus I see for having a hardtop is more spaces to mount cab accessories and a light bar.

Chains would be nice, but I have not found any around the U.P for a good price.

I am having the exact same problem. I was getting some leaking from some of the other hose connections when the temperature went below zero degrees Fahrenheit. So I figured it was similar, glad that you tore it apart first. And thanks for the pictures.
Over the past months I have lost nearly 4 gallons of coolant to this leak.

It looks like we have another two weeks of brutal cold coming again. Today it was sunny and I was able to get out and finally removed the 3/8npt plug at the rear of the engine. Took a lot of torching and breaker bar work. Used the new 7/16 8pt impact socket and I did not break this one. I noticed the steering gear box has the same plugs. I might tackle those along with the primary fuel filter before I drop the rad back in.

Last edited:

UPFINN

Well I finally got the truck running. Block heater works great and no leaks. The heater core also works but I just need to add the blower and ducts.

Today I just threw together a alcohol evaporater, but for some reason it does not work. No bubbles. I plumbed it to the air intake of the compressor, but I can not feel any air being sucked in. It is like the air compressor is taking in air at a location elseware from the intake. aua

There are no leaks in the jar as when I suck the hose it starts to bubble quite a bit.

03-11-14 006.jpg

**Update**

I was testing the evaporator during idle. The engine has to reach a higher rpm for the compressor to draw enough air. It works fine.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, clearly, you need to paint the chequered lid in OD green, then it will work better. Also, cut the intake hose at a sharp angle (so it cannot become blocked when it rests in the angle between the jar bottom and the wall).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks