• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

neil2007

Ok.... Looks like I'm headed down the road of having to keep my deuce and modify it to my needs. With this in mind, I ask those of you who have diss-assembled (not parted out with a bluetip torch! ;-) a '53 Reo with a FIREMASTER bed what the best way is to remove the Fire Bed and other items I will not be needed in such a way that they remain useable for another SS member to re-purpose if they so choose to inquire.

What I am interested in are if there are specific items that should be left intact that are hard to find if you are doing a restore on one of these vehicles. Also any little tips or tricks to removing the bed itself? And, I assume that the pump is plumbed into the tank itself, is the plumbing something I need to remove carefully, or is it easy enough to get a replacement pipe... etc... etc...

What I need to end up with is basically a cab and chassis... everything else except for the PTO controls and drives is to be removed and saved for others who may also benefit from this project.

If you have any tips or trick or questions about what I am doing, I'd love to hear from you so feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Neil

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ft. Indiantown P-4 Crash Truck

Anyone out there from the Ft. Indiantown area that hung around the runway and know this P-4?

This one was given to me because I have a place to put it and will preserve it. We're a long way away from moving it and I won't believe we have a crash truck for the G749 farm until it's there so she doesn't get her own thread.....yet.

I'm still digging for history from the owner about how he got it and the looks they got at the border when it crossed. If anyone has any old photos of this girl or any past history we'll fire up a p-4 preservation thread and preserve some stories.

What we know is the owners last used it a decade ago and fought bog fires with it. It was parked because the Cat motor was overheating.

It's unlikely we'll find time to fire it up before moving it so we'll need a plan to load it. We found weight data at 22 ton so any good 1/2 ton with a quad trailer should be good to move it. I'll be looking at the systems to see what it will take to get it rolling onto the proper size transport deck so any info and suggestions are always welcome. Getting air in the tires is even a scary experience around you guys so all safety support is good.

I'm thinking this truck should get preserved the way it is with a coat of polyurethane and a new patch on the door.

Adding a link to a great write up. http://railbastard.freeforums.org/raaf-ran-oshkosh-p4-fire-trucks-t1408.html

I really wasn't sure what we'd do with it, then I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5cCMrQZSa0

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

HEMTT to ME Forest Service Tank truck.. 1/2

Not many current posts in this thread, lately, but ran into this truck yesterday awhile attending the International Sea Plane Fly in Greenville, Maine.
(if interested in that event. Search youtube with title: 40th International Seaplane Fly In ) last years event in vid but good indication of this year..

The Maine Forest Service guy said it was a 'tank retriever' in its earlier life. I suppose he meant a HEMTT M984 Wrecker (I didn't look at the data plate in the cab)..They converted it to a 3000 gallon tank truck..Nice ...

anyway, here's 2 posts with the pic's..

Mike W

IMG_0044 copy.jpgIMG_0045 copy.jpgIMG_0046 copy.jpgIMG_0047 copy.jpgIMG_0048 copy.jpgIMG_0049 copy.jpgIMG_0050 copy.jpgIMG_0051 copy.jpgIMG_0052 copy.jpgIMG_0053 copy.jpg

Last edited:

tamangel

HEMTT to ME Forest Service Tank truck.. plus UH-1H water drops..2/2

2/2 the Forest Service also had their UH-1H doing aerial drops.. It shows in the video referenced above from last year also..

IMG_0054 copy.jpgIMG_0055 copy.jpgIMG_0056 copy.jpgIMG_0057 copy.jpg

IMG_0042 copy.jpgIMG_0032 copy.jpgIMG_0031 copy.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for reviving this thread.

Here's one from San Angelo, Texas's July 3rd Pops Concert and Fireworks Display.... the National Guard's Howitzers are used authentically for the 1812 OVERTURE as the symphony plays it. (Yes, the music composition calls for CANNON FIRE.) The Fire Crew from Goodfellow AFB provides appropriate protection....

IMG_3583.jpg

gabby4244

Yes, thanks for reviving the tread !! May not be military but this month, September, more so than others always brings a heavy heart...343 brothers forever !!!! We called them our war wagons...yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg390333_344257112269209_972695136_n.jpgffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffdss.jpg Enough said.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They came in camo from the factory. The Foresty dept acquired they and gave them to the fire depts with requirement that they where repainted

shokunin98

Hello,

I am a german modeller and will try to build an Chevrolet Class 325 fire truck in 1/35.
I bought some technical manuals (9-805, 9-1765A usw.) and a parts list SNL G-506 but I did not find some plans or sheets of the construction of the fire apparatus mounted on the frame (Oren conversion?) or the pump made by Darley.
Is there anyone to help me with some detailed fotos, a instruction sheet or a tip regarding to a special manual ?

Best regards from germany
Rafael

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Hello,

I am a german modeller and will try to build an Chevrolet Class 325 fire truck in 1/35.
I bought some technical manuals (9-805, 9-1765A usw.) and a parts list SNL G-506 but I did not find some plans or sheets of the construction of the fire apparatus mounted on the frame (Oren conversion?) or the pump made by Darley.
Is there anyone to help me with some detailed fotos, a instruction sheet or a tip regarding to a special manual ?

Best regards from germany
Rafael
Greetings! You might have some luck with one of the military museums around here; one that leans in that direction.

I'l see if I can't find something like that you might try.

And in the meantime I bet there's somebody here that chimes in with even a better idea for you.

Another Ahab

Greetings! You might have some luck with one of the military museums around here; one that leans in that direction.

I'll see if I can't find something like that you might try.
Got two leads for you:

- A museum, coincidentally in the backyard of our own forum's good Chaplain

www.militaryfirefighterheritage.com

- And an article about a possible resource for you right in YOUR own backyard (+/-)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks