• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mother and child killed by military truck

rlwm211

I reviewed this thread and I was impacted by the devasatation of the smaller car. I would wonder that the dead were not seriously injured by the rear end impact to begin with. The energy required to push a car 10-20 feet into oncoming traffic with the brakes set is considerable and has a definite effect on the passengers of the car that is hit.

I also know that the life of the NG driver is changed forever as a result of the negligence of the driver of the offending SUV. No amount of comfort or rationalization will make the memory of this crash any less stressful and devastating for the Guardsman driver. He is as much a victom of this tragedy as those in the car that his truck ran over.

What will be interesting is if we hear of how the driver that caused this crash is dealt with. As a few months have passed by, any of you who have some knowledge of the followup of this event, please post that here.

This crash should serve as a educational tool for all of us who drive MV's. We must drive as safely as we can to avoid these crashes whenever we can. While there is no 100% guaranteed way to avoid all crashes, we should work to try to achieve the safest record possible. I want to thank all who have offered their experiences and professional expertise in addressing this tragedy.

RL

nofearnohope

If you read the second article, you find out that the driver of the SUV was not entirely at fault either. Someone pulled out in front of the Toyota, which caused that driver to hit her brakes. The SUV was behind the Toyota and hit her which pushed her into the oncoming traffic lane and the path of the MV.

lonegunman

The story itself is horrible but the fact it was a "military truck" was pretty much totally unimportant. An F-250 would have killed them as well and any large commerical truck would have done the same thing.

The outstanding part is that the GI's got their wrecked truck safely stopped and went to the aid of the injured. They climbed into a burning car to rescue the people inside without hesitation and managed to save one of them.

Unforgiven

An unidentified car pulled out onto S.C. 8, near Midway Road, and another driver, Ashley Lehman, who was headed toward Pelzer, slammed on her brakes, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol’s preliminary findings.
A sports utility vehicle hit Lehman’s car, sending it over the double yellow lines and into the grill of another military truck, driven by Jeffrey Scott Andrews, 25, of Williamston, according to the Highway Patrol.
If somebody cut the woman off & made her spike the brakes can you really put all the blame on the guy behind her in the Blazer?

Think about it. Someone in front of you spikes the brakes unexpectedly & you end up rear ending them.

The unidentified car that cut the woman off in the first place is who started the accident. The Blazer might not have been paying attention, but he didn't start the chain of events leading to the crash.

She was not stopped at an intersection. She spiked the brakes because she was cut off. The Blazer then hit her from behind, sending her into the opposite travel lanes where the MV hit her.

The involvement of a military vehicle is irrelevant. It could have just as easily been a semi truck, Greyhound bus, or cement mixer.

Last edited:

KsM715

Unforgiven, I disagree, He should have enough room between him and the car infront of him to safely stop his vehicle incase the vehicle suddenly stops. I know Im gonna hear all kinds of crap for but thats the way it should have been. I drive defensively. I put plenty of space between me and the vehicle infront of me. When some A-hole ducks in and takes that space I just back off some more. I hate it and it pisses me off but I still do it.

Flame suit on. Fire away.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some clarifications:

1) The unidentified (here, anyways) driver who caused the young woman in the small car to stop suddenly is the initial cause of the whole thing, however the SUV driver failed to maintain safe distance and is the major cause of the two collisions. Driving is not something which is made safer by liberal "feel-good", "Aww, it ain't his fault" attitude; it's all physics. Failing to choose to drive carefully is 100% the driver's fault and the consequences are often fatal to someone else.

2) The woman and child were killed instantly (head trauma).

3) The car was not on fire when the rescuers initially retrieved the woman passenger and the child.

4) 20 to 30 pound ABC fire extinguishers should be readily available on all military vehicles, including ours. If you don't know how to use one, go to your local fire station and ask about it. My company has every technician and machine operator douse a fire with an ABC or CO2 extinguisher every year; it is a mandatory practice.

Selfishly, it is fortunate for all of us who drive bigger vehicles for fun that it wasn't one of ours. Continued permission to own and operate these trucks is dependent upon the good graces of politicians and especially BUREAUCRATS. Let's all be careful!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks