• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mpe803a

mchlsprgn

The Varistor is not part of the official "Fuse Mod". The addition of the Varistor is done to protect the A1 Voltage Regulator from damage. The Fuse Mod only protects the Quad Winding in the gen head should the A1 VR fail and short out.
any one have a good idea about hooking up the electrical from the gen to house mep803

Guyfang

Staff member
It would be a good idea to start your own thread on this subject. First off, old people like me have a hard time figuring out who shot John when several people are all wanting help for different problems, in the same thread. BUT, most importantly, you get better exposure, of your problem, when its JUST you getting help. And thirdly, you need to sit down. This subject will bring folks to your thread, like blood in the water brings sharks. And I got to admit, there are some sharp folks who will be adding their 2 cents. Pay attention. Take notes. These folks know what they are about.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a reducer and a short nipple to use it.
I cut a slit in the wall of the flex pipe to make it easier to take it on and off. Hose clamp to secure it.
The same piece of flex pipe exhaust is used on my 831's. All depends on which set I need to run in my garage.
Flex Exhaust.jpg

mchlsprgn

It would be a good idea to start your own thread on this subject. First off, old people like me have a hard time figuring out who shot John when several people are all wanting help for different problems, in the same thread. BUT, most importantly, you get better exposure, of your problem, when its JUST you getting help. And thirdly, you need to sit down. This subject will bring folks to your thread, like blood in the water brings sharks. And I got to admit, there are some sharp folks who will be adding their 2 cents. Pay attention. Take notes. These folks know what they are about.
no responses nothing but crickets

Zed254

Crickets? https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep803-power-conection.201322/

Looks to me like you started a good conversation and dropped out. What kind of ideas are you looking for? Scoobyshep indicated.... " There are 2 real flavors here, you can install a transfer switch before the panel or an interlock in the panel. For the interlock to be an option you need a main breaker in that panel. "

I've got a panel interlock and back feed the box through a 70amp circuit breaker. Wire sized for 52 amp (240 volt) for my 803. I'm manual: lights go out, I give Dominion Power several hours to get it back on, then I start dragging cable and flipping breakers off. From my 803 I feed a spider box (for my neighbors) and then to my 70amp breaker. Generator on and I'm back to flipping breakers...this time on. Plug in the neighbors and everyone is happy.

A search of the SS site will give you a lot of ideas for wiring your generator to your house, too.

Here's a shot of the cable and connector I use....

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
no responses nothing but crickets
I have to take exception here. The thread you started had 24 messages in it. And 3 of which were yours. You really told us NOTHING about what you had, wanted or needed. The general information you wrote about, can in no way bring clarity to the situation. People can not give you advise, if you can't tell them the who, what and why about your house, additional buildings and present hook up. AND WHAT YOU WANT. So if its crickets, what else do you expect?

Just about everyone in that thread, has done what you want to do. They all have ideas, and experience. But when you dropped out of the thread, you are the one who killed it.

mchlsprgn

Looks to me like you started a good conversation and dropped out. What kind of ideas are you looking for? Scoobyshep indicated.... " There are 2 real flavors here, you can install a transfer switch before the panel or an interlock in the panel. For the interlock to be an option you need a main breaker in that panel. "

I've got a panel interlock and back feed the box through a 70amp circuit breaker. Wire sized for 52 amp (240 volt) for my 803. I'm manual: lights go out, I give Dominion Power several hours to get it back on, then I start dragging cable and flipping breakers off. From my 803 I feed a spider box (for my neighbors) and then to my 70amp breaker. Generator on and I'm back to flipping breakers...this time on. Plug in the neighbors and everyone is happy.

A search of the SS site will give you a lot of ideas for wiring your generator to your house, too.

I'm having computer problems . I need ideas on the power cable connection in the gen . Some kind of terminal box that I can attach an so cable too.

mchlsprgn

I have the same connecters just need a way to

Zed254

I'm having computer problems . I need ideas on the power cable connection in the gen . Some kind of terminal box that I can attach an so cable too.
Ahhhhh, DETAILS!!!! Details are good!!! Some guys mount a box on their machines and then plug into the box. I chose to run 12 ft or so of cable out of the machine, tighten the canvas cover around the cable and plug it into my spider box.

Second shot shows my cable exiting the generator. The plastic tube is to help keep the connection dry. If I was doing it again I would get some vinyl hose and cut a length long enough to cover my connection....the rigid PVC tube gets in the way some times. The extra connector is a spare hanging on a piece of rope: it keeps the lose end of the power cable attached to generator when moving.

Attachments

Last edited:

mchlsprgn

69birdman

tighten the canvas bag who would have thunkit? Not me Thanks

Carl I like the way you did your connection that is exactly what I need .Were did you get the parts? Thanks Mike PS more details please
I use the same Nema 14-50R outlet. Allows me to use standard 50amp Rv cord. I can add in my 50amp blow through spyder box to feed neighbors. And my old electric stove load bank plugs right in as well. 50amp twist lock inlet to interlock house panel.20190502_095202.jpg20190430_182301.jpg20180831_112831.jpg20200428_125815.jpg20180214_175008_001.jpg16138518599451661530009.jpg

m32825

I like the way you did your connection that is exactly what I need. Where did you get the parts?
Thanks. With the exception of the 1/4" aluminum plate, everything for the generator receptacle and cover on the generator came from Home Depot. Sorry, no part numbers. Go to HD and find the receptacle then start piecing together a way to solidly mount it and cover it. Get the plug for your cable before you mount anything so you can check the fit before anything becomes permanent, there will not be a lot of extra space.

I got the plug and twistlock for the cord from Amazon. The cord is 4 conductor #4 SOOW from eBay. I used #4 copper wire for everything from the generator lugs to my panel. Overkill I know, SOOW is rated for 70A at that size, #6 is rated for 55A based on this: SOOW Ratings

-- Carl

Edit: Updated to correct SOOW current numbers after Zed254 pointed out there are only three current carrying conductors. Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited:

mchlsprgn

Thanks. With the exception of the 1/4" aluminum plate, everything for the generator receptacle and cover on the generator came from Home Depot. Sorry, no part numbers. Go to HD and find the receptacle then start piecing together a way to solidly mount it and cover it. Get the plug for your cable before you mount anything so you can check the fit before anything becomes permanent, there will not be a lot of extra space.

I got the plug and twistlock for the cord from Amazon. The cord is 4 conductor #4 SOOW from eBay. I used #4 copper wire for everything from the generator lugs to my panel. Overkill for portions of the path, but SOOW is rated for 60A at that size, #6 is only rated for 45A based on this: SOOW Ratings

-- Carl
Thanks for the info . My wire to the house is about 50 feet of # 6 4 stranded stranded in a 1 inch conduit , it was existing could not change hope it will be ok

Zed254

The cord is 4 conductor #4 SOOW from eBay. I used #4 copper wire for everything from the generator lugs to my panel. Overkill for portions of the path, but SOOW is rated for 60A at that size, #6 is only rated for 45A based on this: SOOW Ratings

-- Carl
One conductor will be a Ground, so we've got a maximum of 3 conductors....and one of those - Neutral - should be very low current for a single phase 240 volt connection. 3 load carrying conductors of #6 is good for 55 amps per your chart. This is why I went with 4 conductor 6AWG copper.

mchlsprgn

One benefit of over-sized conductors is less voltage drop over distance. This becomes a bigger issue as distance and current draw increase.
Wish I had have #4 but I know I could not pull it through a 1 inch conduit. Just have to live with it
One benefit of over-sized conductors is less voltage drop over distance. This becomes a bigger issue as distance and current draw increase.
your example shows # 6 max of 55 amps that should work HOPEFULLY THANKS FOR THE HELP MIKE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks