• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Addiction filled. Reis the Beast M1078A0 is born

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All.. took RTB out for a run back up to the highlands, after 30 minutes, we stopped to check hubs and give it a check over, a little oil leak developed at the oil cooler, loose clamp, no problem. tightened it up.

Maybe we were running her too hard, so backed off to 50mph, stopped afew more times and everything looked ok, still had a minor leak from what I thought was the clamp. topped off the oil and continued on.

Did our thing in the highlands (trail cams) stayed the night fri-sat, with a real nice day, we decided to do some Squirrel hunting. Saturday evening, while PM'n her, noticed engine oil was really low. We ran into Monteray (12 miles) picked up some oil and topped her off, saw some oil dripping off the cooler, thought, huuum, that clamp came loose, so checked the second clamp, it was 1 turn loose, wiped the cooler down, started her up and checked again, no class leaks.

Motored down the road about an hour and as I came to bottom of the grade, and just started to hit the throttle, the bottom fell out and my heart sank when the stop warning lite up and oil pressure warning came on. Thankfully we were not running hard as I was on a long grade no throttle for at least 3 minutes, so temps were down. shut it off and coasted into a pull off. As I got out, I saw oil coated everything, class 3 and above from every part under the truck..

Grabbed the light and start searching, and as soon as I flipped the fender cover up, it was apparent what had happened, the CAT oil line of death had failed.. NO cell coverage just a couple of Cabins in the area. Tried to get the line off with the cab down, no go, thankfully I had hyd fluid, topped off the system and got the cab in the air.
20210912_085723.jpg

got the line off and started knocking on cabin doors. 1st house with a bunch of cars in various state of repairs was unoccupied. 2nd Cabin, a guy came to the door and I explained the problem. I was looking at drilling out the fitting, reinserting the steel tube and peening it flat.. The guy I was talking to said, the cabin road I was parked on, the guy is a diesel mech and he might be able to help.. So we went over there, woke the guy up.. He works shift, he said his cousin down the road has a truck shop, So we walked down to his cousins, well, it wasn't a truck shop like you would think, it was big, and there was a truck or two laying about.. out pops this guy, what ya got there, so I explained it to him. He said, I got a CAT motor out back with a spun bearing, you can take anything off it you want... I walked out there, and sure enough, there sat a 80ish 3406 with most the parts still on it.. I found a line with fittings on it that had the same threads, however, it had flared ends, and was about 16 inches long, one straight, one elbow

We hopped in a 4 wheeler, and back down to RTB, put the line on, topped off 1.5 gallons of oil and fired her up, no leak from top connection, but bottom was pouring.. Shut it down, and pulled the line. Thinking maybe an oring. Nothing, so I had some 2AWG cable, I stripped a section of outer cable off, and fabricated a o-ring. I said to myself, this is not going to work well, but maybe it will work, meanwhile a couple of the guys went looking.. So put the bottom line on with my fabricated seal, it worked ok, still a class 2 leak.. About that time the guy across the street comes up with this rubber seal that was about inch long, and had a bronze bushing in it, perfect hole size and diameter, I cut the end off filed the brass bushing to a flare and inserted it, reassembled, and low and behold after 3 hours I had a no class leak 3406 oil line stretched from one end to the other and no apparent damage to the engine.

I thank them all after giving the kids who were telling mom, there is a army truck in the driveway, and she didn't believe them at first a chance to sit in the cab, we parted ways.. I was nervous as a cat for the next 1.5 hours, every noise, clunk or dust in the mirrors, but she held together

Moral of the story, don't delay this fix, I have had the fix in a cart for months, just had not pulled the trigger. I am today.

Thank you once again to RTB for not sustaining permanent damage.

And my hats off to the help I received from some new found friends in the mountains of SW by god Va. They don't know it, but in the near future, they will be getting some gifts in the mail for the help provided. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rhino 5/4

Hey All.. took RTB out for a run back up to the highlands, after 30 minutes, we stopped to check hubs and give it a check over, a little oil leak developed at the oil cooler, loose clamp, no problem. tightened it up.

Maybe we were running her too hard, so backed off to 50mph, stopped afew more times and everything looked ok, still had a minor leak from what I thought was the clamp. topped off the oil and continued on.

Did our thing in the highlands (trail cams) stayed the night fri-sat, with a real nice day, we decided to do some Squirrel hunting. Saturday evening, while PM'n her, noticed engine oil was really low. We ran into Monteray (12 miles) picked up some oil and topped her off, saw some oil dripping off the cooler, thought, huuum, that clamp came loose, so checked the second clamp, it was 1 turn loose, wiped the cooler down, started her up and checked again, no class leaks.

Motored down the road about an hour and as I came to bottom of the grade, and just started to hit the throttle, the bottom fell out and my heart sank when the stop warning lite up and oil pressure warning came on. Thankfully we were not running hard as I was on a long grade no throttle for at least 3 minutes, so temps were down. shut it off and coasted into a pull off. As I got out, I saw oil coated everything, class 3 and above from every part under the truck..

Grabbed the light and start searching, and as soon as I flipped the fender cover up, it was apparent what had happened, the CAT oil line of death had failed.. NO cell coverage just a couple of Cabins in the area. Tried to get the line off with the cab down, no go, thankfully I had hyd fluid, topped off the system and got the cab in the air.
View attachment 844881

got the line off and started knocking on cabin doors. 1st house with a bunch of cars in various state of repairs was unoccupied. 2nd Cabin, a guy came to the door and I explained the problem. I was looking at drilling out the fitting, reinserting the steel tube and peening it flat.. The guy I was talking to said, the cabin road I was parked on, the guy is a diesel mech and he might be able to help.. So we went over there, woke the guy up.. He works shift, he said his cousin down the road has a truck shop, So we walked down to his cousins, well, it wasn't a truck shop like you would think, it was big, and there was a truck or two laying about.. out pops this guy, what ya got there, so I explained it to him. He said, I got a CAT motor out back with a spun bearing, you can take anything off it you want... I walked out there, and sure enough, there sat a 80ish 3406 with most the parts still on it.. I found a line with fittings on it that had the same threads, however, it had flared ends, and was about 16 inches long, one straight, one elbow

We hopped in a 4 wheeler, and back down to RTB, put the line on, topped off 1.5 gallons of oil and fired her up, no leak from top connection, but bottom was pouring.. Shut it down, and pulled the line. Thinking maybe an oring. Nothing, so I had some 2AWG cable, I stripped a section of outer cable off, and fabricated a o-ring. I said to myself, this is not going to work well, but maybe it will work, meanwhile a couple of the guys went looking.. So put the bottom line on with my fabricated seal, it worked ok, still a class 2 leak.. About that time the guy across the street comes up with this rubber seal that was about inch long, and had a bronze bushing in it, perfect hole size and diameter, I cut the end off filed the brass bushing to a flare and inserted it, reassembled, and low and behold after 3 hours I had a no class leak 3406 oil line stretched from one end to the other and no apparent damage to the engine.

I thank them all after giving the kids who were telling mom, there is a army truck in the driveway, and she didn't believe them at first a chance to sit in the cab, we parted ways.. I was nervous as a cat for the next 1.5 hours, every noise, clunk or dust in the mirrors, but she held together

Moral of the story, don't delay this fix, I have had the fix in a cart for months, just had not pulled the trigger. I am today.

Thank you once again to RTB for not sustaining permanent damage.

And my hats off to the help I received from some new found friends in the mountains of SW by god Va. They don't know it, but in the near future, they will be getting some gifts in the mail for the help provided. Thank you.
Thankfully sounds like no damage done, lessons learned and a good ending story to tell. And thanks for the good people that are still out there.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
\\MAIL CALL//

Recd this nice add on sun visor kit kit

As mentioned above, Search FLEE BUY LMTV FMTV M1078 NOS SUN VISOR KIT UP GRADE KIT

20210913_122606.jpg20210913_123114.jpg

Also recd some LSAC detent mirrors, put the mirrors on, will modify and cut off the non detent ends and mount the LSAC detent ends, as mentioned above Search FLEE BUY Military Mirror West Coast Style, Left, On Bracket, New MRAP, Universal Set of 2

And rebuilt the brake valve, TM 9-2320-366-24P-1 I9 PAOZZ 0FW39 12417375-001 VALVE,RELAY,AIR PRE
Search FLEE BUY FMTV M1078 M1083 Air Brake Relay Valve Repair Kit 12417375-001 2530-01-478-5902

Working on the protection valve TM 9-2320-366-24P-1 I3 PAOZZ 06721 N-50012 VALVE,PROTECTING,MU................. 1
Search FLEE BUY KN34101 MIDLAND VALVE PARTS KIT RRN31BC RN31BA

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
\\MAIL CALL//

Recd my Bodega Fridge Freezer true dual zone unit. in the 10 minutes of use, love the APP, love the box. Next will come the load and draw test. However, I am sure I can run it on 600AH of batteries and 820W of solar. Search NOZAMA BODEGA APP Control Car Fridge 80 Quart(75L)Protable RV Refrigerator, Electric Cooler Dual Zone, -4℉-68℉ Small Freezer, Travel and Camping, Support 12/24V DC and 100-240V AC

Recd my LPG instant on hot water heater (after I froze the line and ruptured it last year on the old unit) Search ZoNaMa 6L 12KW Portable Tankless Hot Water Heater 2 GPM RV's & Campers Propane Gas LPG

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I spent the after noon taking that protection valve out, and apart.
Found my problem...
20210918_211754.jpg

Working on the protection valve TM 9-2320-366-24P-1 I3 PAOZZ 06721 N-50012 VALVE,PROTECTING,MU................. 1
Search FLEE BUY KN34101 MIDLAND VALVE PARTS KIT RRN31BC RN31BA

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, put the valve in, still have air pressure drop.. maybe I screwed it up somehow.. will take it apart and recheck
You just put the kit in the valve - right?
Any chance to shoot it with some soapy water to look for bubbles?
Maybe you fixed one and something else close to it is also leaking.

Any chance you could connect the truck to "house air" Maybe CHOCK THE WHEELS so nothing goes wrong - and have it leave you laying there on the ground as the truck rolls away wondering what happened? House air should be a lot quieter than the truck running...

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just put the kit in the valve - right?
Any chance to shoot it with some soapy water to look for bubbles?
Maybe you fixed one and something else close to it is also leaking.

Any chance you could connect the truck to "house air" Maybe CHOCK THE WHEELS so nothing goes wrong - and have it leave you laying there on the ground as the truck rolls away wondering what happened? House air should be a lot quieter than the truck running...
Yes, truck is chocked and on house air, just got to get the wife up in the seat and step on the brake to see which valve it is coming from.. I probably put a seal in backwards or something stupid :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks