• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

pilot

Fuel

Fuel prices for unleaded and diesel converted to US gallons and dollars today at the Flying J location Sherwood/Edmonton AB $3.80 gal which is why I installed enough fuel tanks to go nonstop to there and then to Alaska.

Greg

m38mike

Thanks Stan, we appreciate the offer. I wonder if you can make it happen for us up in Dawson Creek? For the guys going up the west coast, they may be able to connect with you and take advantage. I think most of us will be going north through Alberta before turning west into the Peace River country. We'll gather at Dawson Creek, BC until August 4. We'll leave on the 4th for Bucking Horse Provincial Park, then go to Toad River Lodge, then on to Watson Lake for the first 3 days. We'll take a break at Watson lake for a day before pushing on to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway. Then back to Dawson City for our next break.

A quick check of current Alaska fuel prices shows gas between $3.25 and $3.62 a US gallon. Diesel is running $3.62 to $3.85 a US Gallon. So it's about $0.50 a gallon more than we're paying here in Colorado. To bad we're not doing this all within Wyoming. They have the cheapest fuel prices of any place I've been to.

Stan, can you tell me if there is GST on fuel in Canada? And can non-Canadians still file for a return of GST? That might be a way for some of us to save a little on the fuel cost.

Stan Leschert

Stan, can you tell me if there is GST on fuel in Canada? And can non-Canadians still file for a return of GST? That might be a way for some of us to save a little on the fuel cost.
Yes, we have HST which is GST and Provincial Sales tax wrapped up into one nice wallet crunch. The last that I knew, certain Foreign visitors could submit a GST rebate claim at the Canada Border Services Agency, on their way out of the country. There will be some hoops to jump through, but if you set things up right, you could get some of your taxes back.

I will not be taking the M135 up to Dawson, but there`s a good chance that I`ll hop on the bike and come up for a beer. If anyone is coming through Vancouver, PM me. I can try to set up something throught our local Legion.

Any other questions, just ask. I`ll try to find an answer. It might even be the correct one!

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/vstrs/fctp-eng.html This is the most current tax stuff.

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

It looks like there is a fair amount of interest from our Legion (RCL118 North Vancouver), and we will try to help as we can as a staging point. A BBQ and local assistance are what we are considering. One of my greatest helpers (who owns nothing green, and does not wish to..) Wayne Fritz, will be joining this site, just to help me and you in this endeavor.

Like I said, the M135 is confined to local parades, but I might hop on the bike and play ground guide for a day or 2. If there is anything that you want to see or do when in Vancouver, let me know. That way I'll have a better idea of what to have arranged for you.

Our Legion Website is Legion 118 Home Page

I will need to know if you require info about hotels or camping sites.....

Cheers, Stan.:driver:

Stan Leschert

One thing that might make POL stops easier, is for each traveller to procure a Petro-Canada Fuel Card. They are one of the larger players up here, and they have card lock facilities for the truckers. Usually at a better rate than pump prices. Petro-Canada I have no affiliation with this company, but they are the guys that fuel my work truck. They often have promotions which can save you up to 5 cents per litre (think 20 cents/gal) at the pump. If there is a push to the PR departmrnt, you could....

As for secure truck parks, we will have to know more about the feeder routes, and I'll have to do some more work on the convoy route, but this is not a huge problem. If the numbers of people who require hotels is large enough, I can put you in touch with a local travell agent, or tour operator (this may be of use in claiming GST/HST). As we get closer to the date, I'm sure that you will have many questions. I don't have the answers.... Yet! I'll try to help, or atleast point you in the right~~ direction. And yes, I'll try to tag along for a day or 2 as a ground guide.

BC Tourism Web Site Tourism British Columbia | Official Travel Website of BC Canada

Yukon Tourists... Yukon: Larger Than Life - Yukon, Canada Vacations, Travel; Tourism in the Yukon Territory

Alberta ..... http://www.travelalberta.com/en-ab/Pages/default.aspx?mrkt=Alberta

No matter which way you are coming, one of these links may be handy.

As always, Stan Leschert!

Last edited:

m38mike

Thanks again Stan. I think these links will be really helpful to each one of us coming north from the mainland US. That's a good idea you have on the fuel cards. As the refuel planner I'll look into that idea some more and see if we can make that work for us. Sounds like it should. And save us some $$ too!

I think it'd be great if we can coordinate some kind of event with at least some members of your Legion while we're visiting Canada. Let's keep working on that idea and see what we can do.

pvtjorge

I've been looking at Google Earth. The road from Watson Lake to Carmacks appears to be unpaved.
That's around 370 miles.
Are there any other unpaved roads on the convoy route.

m38mike

Google Earth is a great tool to look this whole route over. Really give you a feel for the countryside.

Yes. It's unpaved from Watson Lake up to the Arctic Circle and back to Dawson YK. That's about 1100 - 1200 miles of gravel and maybe a little mud if it rains. Then there's the Hatcher Pass road near Willow Alaska. That'll be dirt mud and gravel. Most of the rest of the 4,000 mile in the whole route will be paved. :driver:

I did some number crunchin and checking on fuel stops, and if every vehicle can carry enough fuel to drive 300 miles, then there should be no reason to carry any more than that. We'll be able to buy fuel every day near where we end each day. So if you know what your mpg is for your rig, figure out if you need an extra jerry can. 300 miles range will easily get you through every day, even the long ones. That even gives you a few miles to go exploring or downtown to buy groceries. :driver:

CatMan

Alaska Convoy

Hey Convoy Drivers,

Sounds like there are quite a few who are planning to drive the convoy but have not signed up yet. The Convoy team is working hard on were to stay, where to get fuel, maintenance locations and forming collection convoys from all over the US and Canada.

It would be a big help to sign up NOW so we have a count on people and vehicles. The large number of vehicles in the convoy will require us to let the fuel stations at our stopping points order ahead when they know we are coming. Same thing with Camping and Motel Spaces.

My wife and I and two other drivers are going to drive the route in May (2010) by motor home to recon the AC12 convoy route and the facilities. We really need to have a better count.

Please contact the convoy comander thru the MVPA web site and get on the list if you have not done so.

Our WC21 is coming along. Engine, transmission and transfer case are done and in. Working on axles and brakes now. It's going to be a great trip. See you in Dawson Creek!!!!

Cat Man AKA Jeff Rowsam Convoy XO

wild800

The Trip is going to be great!! I'll be coming from the Bay area Calif.Jeff I'll be seeing Randy in April at the Lodi MVCC event. We camp back to back there! Bring on the3 Adventure!!

Mike

pilot

Alaska

If anyone needs any help, info or a meeting point we live in Devils Lake, North Dakota. My wife and I have made trips to or from Alaska and the Yukon or parts of the ALCAN with a M543A2 wrecker (Anchorage to Delta Junction to Whitehorse to Skagway and then ferry to Juneau). F800s w/trailer, F600 w/trailer and various smaller trucks generally towing a trailer. We have been moving aviation and truck equipment to the the family farm in North Dakota. Time and money permitting we may take 3 trucks up to Juneau to finish the move in June. I have become very familiar with the ALCAN! I was a commercial pilot in Alaska and did a lot of aircraft deliveries using the ALCAN route at times. I also noticed on the G503 site a guy considering taking a M52 and M172 trailer, I used one of our M172 trailers to pick up a DUKW in Salt Lake and one in Kelowna, British Columbia, the overwidth permitting was a real pain in the wallet and the A**.

Greg Blanchfield Devils Lake, North Dakota 701-393-4384 gcb@gondtc.com NDMVCA.com

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, just a few responses to things brought up in this thread.
1)Yep, there are long distances with no people around. That is what is great about this! I do know that I intend to have a lot of tools and parts. I am hoping to have a chase truck/camper and hopefully a car trailer (just in case!). I am sure that there will be lots of folks to help with any problems.
2)In answer to one of the writers, yes there is an "LST" that could haul rigs back from Alaska. It is called the Alaska Marine Highway System (State Ferries) that go from Haines or Skagway to Washington State and the Kenai are to Washington State. It ain't cheap, but neither is fuel. I know this is supposed to be a round trip junket, but it is a great trip along the inside passage, whales, glaciers, etc. etc. You can also put your Duece on the AML barge in Anchorage and pick it up in Seattle, after you fly home.
3)Yes, there are some of us that will probably join up along the way. I live in Juneau and will probably catch the group at either Watson Lake or somewhere north of there.
4) I have driven a lot of this road in a pickup and on a Harley. There are areas of this road that I have not driven. I am sure there will be some areas under construction but I would worry more about mosquitoes than road conditions. A lot of the highway that I have driven is good paved road. I have gone over significant areas with frost heaves that is narrow and potholey. All in all, especially at the slow speeds expected, I just don't see a problem due to road surface.
5) I hear that Canadian bears are vegitarians! In Alaska, I always carry a 460 S&W pistol when in the woods. In Canada, I try not to camp alone, in a tent, with my dirty fry pan and food next to my bed! Again, worry about the Skeeters!
6) Just south of Watson Lake are some great hot springs, don't recall the name now but they will be written up in Milepost! Stop for a soak.
7) Do not leave home without a current copy of the Milepost!!!!!!
Regards to all.....see you on the road

denubilo

Fuel cards

What is the best fuel card to get and how do you do it?
Petro said the City of Petro Master card gets you 2 cents off a gallon at Petro stations. It can be used elseware but no discount

Stan Leschert

Petro Canada also has a Petro Points Rewards program, so after a few purchases, you can get a few more pennies back. Here's the link.
Petro-Points - Petro-Canada

I have no affiliation with this company, other than the fact that my employer has a fleet plan with them. I get no benefits whatsoever. I do fuel my personal vehicles at this chain, when it is convenient, and have no complaints, aside from the amount that my government gouges me in taxes!

And in response to the other question, The Petro Canada Master card can be used at any place that accepts Master Card..... No discounts!

If you carry both some form of Master Card and Visa, you should have no problems....discounts are chain specific.
You may find by searching the websites, which USA Credit cards are accepted. Interac Debit cards are universally accepted up here, and several other flavors as well. Just no discount! (unless you sign up for the free Petro Points thingy).

If you have any questions, either post them here, or PM me.

Answers are fairly easy, intelligent answers might be harder! I'll try!

Last edited:

Longhunter7

Alaska or Bust!

Is anyone joining the MVPA Alaska Convoy in August of 2012 from the upper Midwest?

The core planning team is doing a pre-run this May to get things sorted out and establish a good working relationship along the planned route.

If we could get several vehicles on a semi and share the cost, it might be cheaper than driving all the way to Dawson Creek B.C. :arrow:

wsucougarx

I have a huge profound respect for all those doing this convoy. I just drove from SW Washington State upto to Kelowna, BC (8 hours). My bottom is sore and I was driving my wife's Grand Caravan. Haha, couldn't imagine that haul in a deuce.

m38mike

But wsucougar, I thought you were joining us with your 109? What a dissappointment that we won't get to see all the good work you've done on it, and to see how it does on an epic journey. And for the tender backside, that's what foam cushions and local masseuses are for.

Stan, are there many Petro-Canada stations in the Yukon? How can we find out where they are?

Dodgedougak, I think your spot-on with your comments about skeeters and milepost! I know they'll both be with me for the whole trip! :lol:

I've found that a very effective skeeter, bear, and occasionally people repellant is a 10 minute road flare. You can buy them at almost any auto parts store for one or two bucks. But no skeeters and no bears will stand to be withing any close distance of you if you light one of those off. They're bright, they're hot, they hiss, and they smell bad. And those are the qualities that make them great as bear repellants. Besides, that bright red flare really draws attention so people pay attention to whats happening when a flare is lit. And if you're trying to light a campfire on a rainy day, there isn't any better fire starter that a road flare. Easy to carry, easy to light. Don't leave home without some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks