• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my 24v mess

I have dealt with alot on my m1008,So i know his pain i have figured out a quite a few things that work better for me and some improvements that i came up with. The cucv is an amazing machine maybe not a power house but fun to drive none the less and a great work truck,Tough as nails for sure. Wncenergy,My friend you are in good hands(these guys are awesome) i wish you the best of luck in the adventure you are embarking on its a bit of PITA at times but have patience.If i can work on these things i know you can handle it.The batteries are defintely the most important thing if you dont have batteries with a full charge all kinds of gremlins show up.I can attest to that.Most stuff on the cucv is simple once ya figure it out.:]

ryan77

One thing about these trucks is once u figure out the system and how simple it is diagnostic becomes a snap!!

Wncenergy

Got to get out of work a little early so I could work on the truck. Got both batteries in the basement with one charging. I think Ryan had asked how many ca they were, 675. Thanks everyone for the comments and information. I am going to read all of them before I head back out there.

Wncenergy

Front battery charged. Just put the rear one on. Reading up on the alternators and want to test them before before I even try cranking it up in the tomorrow. I ordered 2 repair kits for the alternators and am like a kid waiting on Christmas till they get here. I am also going to take off on my battery cabling to replace what I should. I know the wire going to the starter needs it. Post back in the morning

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a voltmeter and I do not really have a good grasp of it
A disconnected from vehicle, fully charged battery will read about 13.6 volt DC on your meter. Put the meter on the 20VDC or 200VDC range. With the meter it does not matter which way you connect the leads to the battery. It will either read +13.6 or -13.6 volts. The voltage will vary with the charge level. If the charge doesn't come back after an overnight charge the battery is bad (or low on fluid if not a maintenance free battery).

If the battery reads good on the voltmeter it could still be bad and to test it you can get an inexpensive load tester at Harbor Freight. Follow the directions on the front of the tester.

Having good batteries is the first step.

Wncenergy

No luck on the multimeter, I had got it from a yard sale and when I tried to use it the needle wouldn't move, I tried cranking it up but it would not turn over even though it had plenty of juice.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the kind that takes a battery or is it digital/analog?

analog.jpgdigital.jpg

The one on the right is from HF but you can get them free with a coupon. Even the cheapest will work for your issue.
(Could be you just need a battery. Analog and digital both need batteries.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HF, under $5.

Wncenergy

I am going to around and ask a couple of my neighbors if they have one or Lowes it is. That was the first time it has ever not cranked within a couple of seconds. The wires were warm to the touch. Could I have fried some fusible links causing them to heat up?

MarcusOReallyus

Lowes, Radio Trash, any hardware store. You can get a cheap one for ten bucks or so. It will do what you need. I recommend the digital kind, that shows numbers on a screen, instead of the kind with a needle. Much simpler to learn to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks