• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my 24v mess

Wncenergy

toggle.jpgwiremess (4).jpgwhiteoff.jpgrelayredo.jpgOfftoground.jpg

Thank you again to everyone here. I am about to go attempt to test glow plugs and hook up the freshly charged batteries. The Relay had too many wires going to it and Doghead pointed me in the right direction in removing the wrong ones. The first picture shows the toggle switch that I have to manually hold up for the glow plugs. The OFF wire was wired to the top bolt on the relay and split off as shown in pic 2 and ran into the cigarette lighter in pic3 then out and cut bare as shown. The rest of the wires in pic2 are for the cd player which was powered from the relay on the top front bolt on the relay. The wire that is in the ON position on the toggle switch runs straight to the lower front bolt on the relay.

I took the OFF wire from the toggle and removed it from the top bolt from the relay and grounded it as shown in the pic5. I removed the wire from the front top bolt for the cd player entirely. I left the ON wire from the toggle switch to the front bottom bolt on the relay alone.

Now I will go check the gp's. I checked half of them yesterday by setting my multimeter to 20k ohms, I first tested to make sure I was getting zero and then touching one terminal to all parts of the glowplug and the other right next to it to the engine block and didn't even register a reading. I am guessing that is a good sign right? Then I will start to put everything back together.

MarcusOReallyus

Tons of smoke but still just cranks and won't turn over.
Whoa.

Let's not confuse things any more than they already are with sloppy terminology. If the starter motor is spinning, and properly engaging the flex plate, so that it makes the crankshaft rotate and the pistons go up and down and all that, the engine is turning over.

Maybe it isn't starting, but it is turning over.

So, which is it?

1. The engine is turning over, but not starting? Or
  2. The starter motor is spinning but the motor is not turning over?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tons of smoke where? Did you let the smokie Jeannie out of the bottle?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay worked as far as I can tell. When engaged the toggle I read the same top and bottom. Tons of smoke but still just cranks and won't turn over.

Define tons of smoke as it applies here.

Smoke from where?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the white wire near the coolant overflow tank?

Wncenergy

I wish the Jeannie came out of the bottle!

It is turning over but not starting.

The smoke is coming from both tail pipes while the engine is turning over. Sorry for my sloppy terminology.

The white wire is connected to the off switch on the toggle.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I first tested to make sure I was getting zero and then touching one terminal to all parts of the glowplug and the other right next to it to the engine block and didn't even register a reading.
If you did not "register a reading", does that mean the meter did nothing(same as when you hold the two probes in your hands but do not touch them to anything? If so, them no, that's not good.

They should have read 1-3 ohms, while touching the terminal of the GP and the hex(base/ground) with the other.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That means there is no resistance in your GPs. That means they are all bad.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The meter did nothing. I thought that wasn't good

The word you are looking for when reading Ohms (resistance) is infinite resistance or more commonly known as an open.

Holding the meter leads away from each for example.

Going the other way it would be zero resistance or a short. (Reads 0 on a digital meter)

Touching the tips of the meter leads together.

When reading a coil of some short (Glow Plug) I would expect to see a few Ohms at least. Like DH said, 1-3 Ohms.

With no reading on you Glow Plugs I suspect they are burned out like DH pointed out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn't that say 'infinite resistance" as in an open?
Yes, you're correct. Thank you for pointing that out, as we're trying to teach and use proper terminology.

Wncenergy

Had to travel to sc for a sick family member and just got back. Replaced glow plugs and the original connectors, and it fired right up! Now I just need to reread how to trouble shoot the alternators to make sure I am in the clear. Thanks everyone for the help. What a great feeling it was when it fired up almost instantly!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me a call if you need help with alternator testing. It is very easy to do.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is great news.

Who says we don't help new guys?

Oh wait, that would be the dozen or so new ones banned this week.

:)

Wncenergy

When I cranked it up the rear battery was reading 12.3 and front around 14.6. My rebuild kits came in the mail the other day and I will be rebuilding both. I appreciate all the help, now on to another phase!

scottladdy

Outstanding news! It payed to take your time on this. I know it was a couple of weeks, but man you got a lot done. And, this thread is bound to help someone else out.

This site/community is a tremendous asset. Well done all!