• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanna see/hear a vid of it running! Chris, I admire you for your dedication! That's ALOT of work.
Will - we oughta have it running pretty soon. We cranked it over while slaved on Saturday and the good news is that my wiring repairs to the cab harness held and there were no other surprises once we had a good protective control box. The cranking speed was even fast enough that the transmission pump starting dumping ATF out of a missing valve on the cooler :oops: (a quick scrounge of the engine scrap pile found a suitable replacement).

Chad

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
WW, I look forward to the day when I can take that video clip for you! Hopefully it will happen in January. We've got it cranking. It's just a matter of getting fuel to the injectors. The fuel tank has been cleaned out. I have fresh fluids and filters ready to go.

One thing I want to do is add a coolant filter to it. That should be easy since it has the fuel-burning heater kit on it. I'll just hook a remote coolant filter kit up to the existing fittings that were used for the hot-water personnel heater. Any suggestions on who to get a filter kit from? I think I have seen some filters that come pre-charged with coolant additives.

EZ, thanks pal. I've been watching your Tatra project with interest. Keep up the good work!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Will - we oughta have it running pretty soon. We cranked it over while slaved on Saturday and the good news is that my wiring repairs to the cab harness held and there were no other surprises once we had a good protective control box. The cranking speed was even fast enough that the transmission pump starting dumping ATF out of a missing valve on the cooler :oops: (a quick scrounge of the engine scrap pile found a suitable replacement).

Chad
You did a fine job on the wiring repairs. I had no doubts in your abilities, especially after all of your work on the 923A2 project :grin:

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I want to do is add a coolant filter to it. That should be easy since it has the fuel-burning heater kit on it. I'll just hook a remote coolant filter kit up to the existing fittings that were used for the hot-water personnel heater. Any suggestions on who to get a filter kit from? I think I have seen some filters that come pre-charged with coolant additives.
I just checked my "truck notes" folder on my slaptop and found a reference for the Napa 4019 kit. It says that it comes with the filter base, fittings, and filter. I think they also offer filters with different levels of DCA precharge too depending on if you are going to run extended life or regular coolant in it...
FWIW,
Chad

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did some checking on the 4019 kit. It looks like that would work for my application. Pic is below. It comes with mounting hardware and pipe sealant too. There are a variety of pre-charged filters available. I have been trying to find out what Cummins recommends for the CTA 8.3L.

Here are the specs for the filters:

• P/N 4070 - 0 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4071 - 4 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4072 - 6 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4073 - 8 units of DCA charge
  • P/N 4074 - 12 units of DCA charge

Attachments

m109guy

The coolant kit is a nice addition to any military truck. I installed one on my M109 last weekend. Other than the filter, the kit is complete with all you need. Took only 20 minutes to install.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
m109guy, that looks pretty slick there. I just need to find a place to mount my filter base. Commercial trucks have the filter base mounted to the side of the engine. I may be able to make a bracket that would share some bolts with the alternator bracket or something. It's either that or down on the frame rail, which would be a little tougher to get to.

Bjorn, that's a nice little breather. Where did you find that?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, that engine SHOULD have a corrosion inhibitor on it. C's are horizontally mounted, sticking out to the exhaust side, just to the rear of the stat housing.

Attachments

Crash_AF

No, the 939A2 'C's didn't get the coolant filter on the T-stat housing for some reason. Most of the industrial ones did though. I wonder if there's enough room to retrofit the housing/filter assembly... I'll have to do some measurements and get with some of my old coworkers at Cummins to find out.

Later,
Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There were two different versions of the CTA used in the A2's, an internal bypass and an external bypass. I wonder if only the internal ones can be set up for the coolant filter? The external thermostat bypass housings have a line sticking out of the left side that would cross right over that filter base shown in your pic, Will. My current CTA is an external bypass and the one in my 923A2 was external as well. Neither of them had provisions on the block for a filter housing.

Scoot, thanks for the tip on the breather. That should work. I bet NAPA has them too.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I made a parts run after work today. My fuel-burning heater hose was leaking like a sieve when we fired it up last week. Not that I mind a little rust-proofing, but the fuel was dripping right on the hot exhaust pipe from the heater :twisted: We took the old hose off to have one made. I went by NAPA today and they were able to make me a new one for $22. The old one was rubber with a braided cloth jacket over it. The new one is 300 PSI diesel rated rubber line with the press-fit connectors on it. I figured I would have to leave it and come back, but they knocked it out in about 5 minutes. I love my NAPA.

Joe Crash_AF and I crossed some numbers to locate a serpentine belt for the CTA 8.3L. The Goodyear number is 4080680 and it's $34.99 at Advance Auto, Checker's, etc... NAPA wanted over $50 for essentially the same belt. It pays to shop around.

I am hoping to have another work session at Winslow's in the next couple of weeks. There is much to do before Aberdeen!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With everything that is going on, I haven't gotten much done on the truck. I did manage to go to Winslow's a couple of weeks ago to scavenge some parts off of a M925A2 parts truck. It had a lot of the important goodies that I needed to get my truck running. My brother, Chad, lent a well needed hand on another blustery winter day. We got the injection pump, the IP drive gear/nut/washer, the fuel inlet line, the AFC line, the intake boot clamp, the harmonic dampener, the gear case cover, the alternator, the tranny pan, the stop solenoid bracket, the radiator/hoses, the PS ram shield, and a few other bits. I almost had the engine oil pan loose, but two of the bolts in the front lip were seized up and the heads rounded off. Argg!! I'll have to go back armed with some reverse drill bits, rounded-bolt sockets, etc....

I dropped the alternator off at the shop this afternoon when I got got back in town from DC. I hope it's OK. It was pretty rusty from sitting for so long, but with a little effort I got it spinning freely.

I am not sure when I will be able to go back. Maybe in a few more weeks. It doesn't look like I will be making it to Aberdeen this year so I am not sure when the truck's maiden voyage will be.

Here's a few pics of the parts truck to keep you guys entertained! :-D

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:-D Right Bjorn! Little bits at a time. I am not killing myself trying to get it ready for Aberdeen this year. There is just too little time for wrenching with my new job :roll:

I did receive another shipment of parts in the brown truck yesterday. It was the last of the really important stuff that I couldn't find locally. I ordered everything from Clark Truck in WV and they were very nice to deal with. They are from my hometown in WV so I wouldn't expect any less! :razz: They sent me the fuel transfer pump, crank seal, timing cover seal, turbo/downpipe clamp/gasket, engine fan, fan shroud, gauge panel, radiator support bracket, low air alarm, thermostat/seal, fuel tank sending unit, and a coolant tank cap. The weather looks good for this weekend. Maybe I'll have a few hours to bolt some parts on. Maybe....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks