• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

Nonotagain

Would that be the Allison 1000 6-speed?
What model Allison does the M923 come with?
What other options for a replacement automatic are out there?
The Allison 1000 series automatics wouldn't live for a week in a truck weighing 23,000 lbs.

The M923 and M925 use the MT654 transmission.

The new replacement would be the MD3500 or 4500 series unit. If you have a spare $22k sitting around that's the starting price with options adding to that price fast.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates on the truck, Chris? Took a look at the truck when I was at Winslow's last week, it looked pretty sweet!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Mike. Progress has been slow lately since I am working in WV and the truck is still in NC.

I was down there a couple of weeks ago and worked on the truck for most of a day. I was having some overheating issues and needed to do some work on the wiring. The overheating was caused by my cooling sytem being full of rust and sludge. I flushed it with water until it ran clean, then refilled the system with water and some radiator flush, ran it without the thermostat until it got up to temp, and then dumped it and flushed it again. I put the thermostat back in and took it for about a 10 mile run. I didn't have any overheating issues on that run and the temps never got above 190*.

Chad came by and helped me wire up the t-case solenoid. The last owners (the Navy) had removed the switch from the t-case lever and chopped the wires off. We salvaged a switch from a parts truck and got it rewired and mounted. Now I can switch in and out of low range. Woohoo.

Hopefully, I'll have another work session in a couple of weeks and get some more bugs worked out.

Pics to be posted later.

onegmjack

Hello Chris and Maddog308,Does John Winlows sell used parts or just work on thier own,or sell trucks?When are you going to be there Chris,If not any trouble PM me when you are going would like to drive out there and meet you and check out the truck.Are you and Maddog going to Haspin this year?If I can get wheel seal leak fixed I hope to meet up with Caleb Garbee.As always got everthing a part and wheel cylinder had fluid behind plunger
rubber cover.Times six you know what I mean,a fool would only use one and wish he had done it right the first time.Dwight

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No problem Dwight. John Winslow sells new and used parts for deuces, 5-tons, etc... I will more than likely be down there next weekend to finish up some odds and ends on my truck. You are welcome to come over. I'll show you around and even put you to work ;)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, as much as I hate to do it, I am putting my long-running M925A2 project up for sale :( M925A2 5-ton 6x6 Cargo w/ winch - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

I don't have the time or the space to finish it right now and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I am getting ready to move my family back into our old home in WV and I need something that will fit in my garage. My property/road/neighborhood do not work with big trucks. I had my deuce down there a few times and that was really pushing it!

I am also starting a brand new practice with another doc, so spare time will be in very short supply.

I am asking $10,000 for the truck and a bunch of spare parts.

I would also consider a trade for a HMMWV project of equal value.

PM or email if you are interested. The truck is at John Winslow's currently and I am about 7 hours from his place. I will arrange a showing and test drive for any SERIOUS buyers. Winslow and his crew can also finish the truck if a buyer is interested in more of a turn-key truck.

Thanks.

Bill W

Dang Chris
Sorry to hear that but you gotta do whats needs doing, thats alot of truck for any neighborhood

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Bill. The road has a very tight entrance with 2 stone pillars on either side and you turn out into a blind curve on the main road. It was a pain getting the deuce in and out of there and you take a chance of hitting someone by swinging into the other lane to avoid hitting the pillars. I hope to have a farm outside of town one day where I can have a building to keep some bigger toys. In the meantime, I'll have to keep something 1-1/4 ton or smaller. It's even a PITA to get my crew cab Ford in and out of there. I'm sure it wasn't a big deal in the 50's when the road was built.

earnie

**** i have just spent over an hour reading this thread from start to finish
i am really impressed with the work done on this truck
you are truly a feild surgeon in the respect of bringin her back from the deathbed
i really hope that one of our brethren here will take her on and finish her up
thanks for the thread

you are the grandmaster

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind remarks. It has been an incredible journey from start to almost finished. Most people would have written the truck off as scrap and probably thought I was nuts when I said I was going to get it on the road again. Well, truthfully, I am a little nuts, but that's another story. :p

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind remarks. It has been an incredible journey from start to almost finished. Most people would have written the truck off as scrap and probably thought I was nuts when I said I was going to get it on the road again. Well, truthfully, I am a little nuts, but that's another story. :p

As for the NUTS part, Chris.... I'm sure that only a VERY well trained psycologist knows for sure.

I've often heard that there is a very fine line between genious and insanity. Few would have the "courage" to take on the M925A2 project because they lacked your VISION and intuitive sense that under the rust was a beautiful truck.

Your work is simply GENIUS :not worthy:

NEIOWA

Thanks Bill. The road has a very tight entrance with 2 stone pillars on either side and you turn out into a blind curve on the main road. It was a pain getting the deuce in and out of there and you take a chance of hitting someone by swinging into the other lane to avoid hitting the pillars. I hope to have a farm outside of town one day where I can have a building to keep some bigger toys. In the meantime, I'll have to keep something 1-1/4 ton or smaller. It's even a PITA to get my crew cab Ford in and out of there. I'm sure it wasn't a big deal in the 50's when the road was built.
Issues many rural transplants don't consider until their house is on fire.

Your local FD (likley a vol. FD, and if paid they will be calling local vol.s for mutual aide) needs to be able to quickly, efficiently, safely run large fire turcks and and lay 5" hose from hydrants or run multiple large tanker trucks to your home.

I suggest contacting the local Fire Chief an ask if you can sponsor a tanker shuttle drill to your home. 2hr of water shuttle from whatever supply points they have (or should have) established. You supply the brats and burgers when it is done. Good plan to make these friends. If your trafficability is as bad as stated then the Fire Chief ( and local insurance agent/underwriter) should be kicking butt to get the road/gate problem fixed. You're not properly protected and your property is at risk.

Note if local FD is running 1972 single rear axle (or M35) converted gasoline tankers then they are broke and you need to help them get fixed. Modern tankers are typically 2000gal (single rear) or 3000+gal (tandem). And many of them. FD is NOT going to meet industry water supply standards with anything less.

That M925 would make a fair FD tanker (if you install the ABS on it).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good info! Thanks!

The entrance is tight, but not impossible. It is easier to turn onto my road than it is to turn out of it. I have driven a 36' moving truck and a deuce in and out of there. The city has regular trash service there and I have seen a tri-axle dump truck down there too. I have a hydrant right in front of my house too.

I will certainly inquire at the fire house to make sure there aren't any issues with getting their current trucks down my road.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it looks like it is time for one final installment on this series. I am working on a 3-way trade with a SS member, 19kilo, and another fella who's not on the site yet. So, I needed to get the truck ready for transport. I drove down to my old office in VA on Tuesday to load up a bunch of spare parts that I squirreled away for later use.

I then headed to Winslow's to prep the truck. I used John's Bobcat forklift to load a seat in a crate, a parts winch, a battery box relocation kit, 3 bare rims, and 4 rims with tires. That pretty much filled up the bed. I then tossed in any extra intake parts, wiring, etc... that I found laying around my work site. It was starting to get dark by then and mosquitoes as big as half dollars were coming out of the swamp to dine on me. I packed up and headed to my brother's place to bunk up for the night.

After 4 hours of sleep I hit the road again for John's. I had to dodge passing thunder storms for most of the morning, but still managed to sort through all of my spare parts and box everything up for 19kilo. After that, I drained 6 gallons of water out of the cooling system and added 6 gallons of anti-freeze. It is starting to get cooler here and I didn't want anything to freeze and bust. Once the fresh coolant was in, I buttoned everything up to take it for a 10 mile run out in farm country. I was a little bothered by the fact that one of the check valve was sticking and letting air out of the system faster than the compressor could put it back in at idle. I had replacement valves, but didn't have the time to swap them out. The truck makes a ton of air on the road because the compressor is fed from the intake, which is pressurized by the turbo. At 2000 rpm it would pump things up to 110 psi or so and then the expeller valve would dump out of the bottom of the air dryer. So, I got the air built up to release the brakes and off I went. The truck ran and drove fantastic. It was quick to reach 55 mph and held that speed without an issue. The brakes felt great too. The real bonus was the air leak had stopped when I returned from my test drive. I'm guessing one of the check valves had a little dirt or corrosion around it and was sticking open. A good long run and plenty of brake use must have cleaned it out.

I was a little sad at the thought of saying goodbye to that truck because of everything we have been through together, but I know it is going to a good home and the project will be completed. I also felt a great deal of pride at what I had accomplished with that truck. It was residue when I got it and now it is a runner. With some body work, paint, and finishing touches, it will be like new again.

Thanks to all of my SS friends for sticking with me through this project and helping me find all of the parts I needed to complete it. I know Craig c'dub will look down with pride knowing that the fan clutch he gave me helped bring new life to this truck.

Well, I guess that's enough of the sentimental stuff. Here are a few more shots of the truck as it sits now along with one from where I first got it. Enjoy.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it looks like it is time for one final installment on this series. I am working on a 3-way trade with a SS member, 19kilo, and another fella who's not on the site yet. So, I needed to get the truck ready for transport. I drove down to my old office in VA on Tuesday to load up a bunch of spare parts that I squirreled away for later use.

I then headed to Winslow's to prep the truck. I used John's Bobcat forklift to load a seat in a crate, a parts winch, a battery box relocation kit, 3 bare rims, and 4 rims with tires. That pretty much filled up the bed. I then tossed in any extra intake parts, wiring, etc... that I found laying around my work site. It was starting to get dark by then and mosquitoes as big as half dollars were coming out of the swamp to dine on me. I packed up and headed to my brother's place to bunk up for the night.

After 4 hours of sleep I hit the road again for John's. I had to dodge passing thunder storms for most of the morning, but still managed to sort through all of my spare parts and box everything up for 19kilo. After that, I drained 6 gallons of water out of the cooling system and added 6 gallons of anti-freeze. It is starting to get cooler here and I didn't want anything to freeze and bust. Once the fresh coolant was in, I buttoned everything up to take it for a 10 mile run out in farm country. I was a little bothered by the fact that one of the check valve was sticking and letting air out of the system faster than the compressor could put it back in at idle. I had replacement valves, but didn't have the time to swap them out. The truck makes a ton of air on the road because the compressor is fed from the intake, which is pressurized by the turbo. At 2000 rpm it would pump things up to 110 psi or so and then the expeller valve would dump out of the bottom of the air dryer. So, I got the air built up to release the brakes and off I went. The truck ran and drove fantastic. It was quick to reach 55 mph and held that speed without an issue. The brakes felt great too. The real bonus was the air leak had stopped when I returned from my test drive. I'm guessing one of the check valves had a little dirt or corrosion around it and was sticking open. A good long run and plenty of brake use must have cleaned it out.

I was a little sad at the thought of saying goodbye to that truck because of everything we have been through together, but I know it is going to a good home and the project will be completed. I also felt a great deal of pride at what I had accomplished with that truck. It was residue when I got it and now it is a runner. With some body work, paint, and finishing touches, it will be like new again.

Thanks to all of my SS friends for sticking with me through this project and helping me find all of the parts I needed to complete it. I know Craig c'dub will look down with pride knowing that the fan clutch he gave me helped bring new life to this truck.

Well, I guess that's enough of the sentimental stuff. Here are a few more shots of the truck as it sits now along with one from where I first got it. Enjoy.
Thanks for the update.

I know the feelings of saying goodbye to "an old friend". You've been through alot together, and breathed new life into that OD Iron. You have again proven and presented the essence of being a STEEL SOLDIER.

Hope all 3 parties in this threesome are benefitting from the SWAP. If we could be nosey.... What all is changing hands??

BEst regards and a SALUTE for a job well done :!:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks