• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First CUCV

jccomer9

Hello everyone, my name is Justin. I finally went and picked up my first CUCV today. It is an 86 M1008 with under 48k miles. The previous owner bought her and gave her a half-assed white paint job but left everything else original. I have some plans for her in the near future, actually going to start ordering parts tonight. Anyways, thought I would post some pics of how we picked her up, might get some better ones tomorrow if iI get done hunting in time... Oh yeah, upcoming plans for her are a 4" lift, HMMWV 16.5" rims and 37" tires, crossover and high steer kits, steering box / frame brace, HD motor mounts, rear disk brake conversion, and maybe a couple other things im forgetting... Let me know what you all think.20121220_171247_resized.jpg20121220_171256_resized.jpg20121220_171330_resized.jpg20121220_171341_resized.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome! Looks good! Keep us posted!

Have you read the stickies yet? There's a ton of good info there. There are a few mods folks have done that improve reliability. You'll want to check those out. It's all there in the stickies!

:beer:

jccomer9

So the morning after i bought it, went out and tried to start it and it would crank but not start. The previous owner told me it needed new glow plugs so no biggie there. Today i finally got around to working on it. As it turns out no one around here has the right glow plugs for this thing. The ones they tried to give me had a wide tip and were 10.5V whereas these have a narrow tip and are 11.5V. Finally found someone who could order them though so Im picking them up tomorrow morning. Now on to work on the other issues it has. The fuel guage constantly reads empty and also when the headlights are on the bulb for the right blinker on the dash stays lit up. Once im done tinkering today I will post up some better pics of her.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the ground wire for the right headlight on the radiator support. If it is bad the bulb will light. If the wire is good take the park light bulb socket out and check the ground tab inside the socket. They go bad also.

What glowplugs did you end up ordering? Most guys get the 60s and grind down the contacts or replace the wire ends.

jccomer9

I hadnt thought about grinding them down... wouldve saved me a lot of money. I ended up getting autolites, cant remember what part number but supposedly they are they exact ones. If not i will return them and get the 60s. If they are I will be sure to post the part number for everyone. Also Im gonna have to take most of monday and trace wires, seeing as right now it wont start (but im almost 100% sure thats the glowplugs); the oil light, 4wd light, wts light, and fuel guage all dont work. Also, can someone tell me what the little switch is under the fan controls? And what all lights are supposed to be on the dash, for instance the other ones on the fuel gauge and the one right beside the wts light? couldnt make out what they say on them. All info is greatly appreciated.

From TM 9-2320-289-10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356236545.704445.jpg

1 - GEN 1 & GEN 2 Lights
2 - Four-wheel Drive Indicator Light
3 - Oil Pressure Light
4 - Engine Coolant Temperature Light
6 - Headlight High Beam Indicator Light
7 - WAIT (Glow Plug Indicator) Light
8 - Water-In-Fuel Indicator Light
9 - Seat Belt Indicator Light
17 - Brake System Warning Light
18 - Turn Signal Indicators
20 - Low Coolant Warning Light

jccomer9

Thank you ThunderCracker. Anyone know what the switch under the heater controls is for? Has a tiny bulb right beside it but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything.

jccomer9

I can take a pic tomorrow, but in the picture up there it looks like theres 3 different things in the spot under the controls? All I have on mine is like a 12v toggle switch with a tiny bulb right beside it... I will post pics tomorrow to clarify.

Yeah that's not stock. Do you have foglights or anything added that you can tell? Could really be for anything. Probably have to chase the wires. Does the light go on when the switch is flipped?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks