• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New 1028/1031

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally joined the ranks of the CUCV owners today.

I had been keeping my eyes open for a pretty good deal on a CUCV for a little while. I had wanted something smaller than the deuce to play around with, but I couldn't justify the prices on GL for a CUCV, so I just kept an eye open for what I thought was a decent deal.

I think I found a good deal so I bought it. I actually saw this truck about 3 weeks ago, but due to work schedule and home projects I couldn't buy it until today. I actually went to look at it last week, but the engine kept stalling out. The guy selling it pulled it back into the shop and fixed it (Turned out to be a plugged fuel line, but while they had the tank down to get to the fuel line, they cleaned the screen in the tank too). The truck is in really excellent condition. The body is straight with harldy any rust, interior is great. The major spots that tend to rust out are all beautiful...front inner fenders, rocker panels, door bottoms and hinges, cab corners. Only 15348 miles on it when I bought it

I do have a few things I want to do to it before I drive it to the GA rally in a month. First and formost is the doghead starter relay mod. Then I'm gonna do the resistor bypass for the glowplugs. Also found out today that I need to get new lock-outs for the front axle. It's been so long since I had a truck with lock-out hubs I never thought to look at them before I drove it home. So I made the 140 mile trip home with the hubs locked in. Not a big deal, other than having the front driveshaft turning unnecessarily. But, when I stopped near home for fuel, I realized they were locked in, so I turned the drivers side free, but the passenger side cracked a few times and then just spun round the ring. So I'll buy new ones before I go to GA.

Down the road is a lift and some HMMWV wheels and tires for a little better road speed.

Now, I know how much you guys like pics so here they are.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats and looks to be a really nice contact truck - especially the seat!

Pretty little "assistant" driver too...:driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks dang nice Sir. Can't wait to see it in person. You are going to have a fun ride to GA. Stop every 150 miles to fill up the puny tank. Last year I had a jerry can in the bed with a tap on top. Ran a hose from the tap to a small electric pump and back into the stock tank. Had a cig plug on the end and whenever I would get low, I would move that 5 gallons. Got me up to over 200 miles between stops so I could not keep stopping the convoy.

Oh, don't toss the old hubs either.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the relay (or at least ordering it) from NAPA on the way home from work this morning.

Read the first post slacker!!!

Skinny

Cool rig!

Is that generator diesel powered off the trucks tank?

Look up my M1031 build thread, I did a pretty standard 4" lift with 37's (no HWMMV rims though).

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at your build thread several times before i bit the bullet on this one. You did a fantastic job, but it is above and way beyond what I plan to do with this one. I'm not planning to tear into it that deeply unless something comes up and I have to.

As for the lift and wheels, the truck already has civi 16.5 wheels on it, but I'm concerned about the width for the 37's. I'll have to do some more research for them though.

I wish the welder was diesel powered. It's got a 4 cylinder Wisconsin gas engine in it for the welder/generator. I have a nice 2 cylinder 18Hp Hatz Diesel engine, but I don't know if it would be enough to drive the welder/generator properly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't there a quantity of the diesel engines out there from the MEP002 and 003? Wonder if that would fit/work?

Skinny

I looked at your build thread several times before i bit the bullet on this one. You did a fantastic job, but it is above and way beyond what I plan to do with this one. I'm not planning to tear into it that deeply unless something comes up and I have to.

As for the lift and wheels, the truck already has civi 16.5 wheels on it, but I'm concerned about the width for the 37's. I'll have to do some more research for them though.

I wish the welder was diesel powered. It's got a 4 cylinder Wisconsin gas engine in it for the welder/generator. I have a nice 2 cylinder 18Hp Hatz Diesel engine, but I don't know if it would be enough to drive the welder/generator properly.
You could fit the 37's stock but that would require a ton of sheetmetal cutting and proper offset wheels. A zero rate block from ORD would help by pushing the axle forward an inch.

I think you need about 1 to 1.5 HP per kilowatt. I think the 18hp would work (assuming you are near what my gennie has which is 12kW) but would be almost maxed out at full power.

Keith_J

Isn't there a quantity of the diesel engines out there from the MEP002 and 003? Wonder if that would fit/work?
The OO3a engine WOULD work, if the generator were a 4 pole. It needs to turn at 3600 RPM, outside of the range of the 003A. IIRC, the governor on those engines will allow 2800 RPM.

The Hatz diesel engines may work. Still you will need a flex plate to join the two plus any adaption for the mounting flange.

The governor setup on the M1031 SECMs with PTO driven generators can get in the way. Makes it quite crowded when replacing the vacuum regulator valve for the TH400 transmission. I got mine replaced this morning only after using a 1/8" aluminum welding rod to hold the 0.468" shim block, the rod had to be bent like a pretzel to get it around the governor obstructions.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could fit the 37's stock but that would require a ton of sheetmetal cutting and proper offset wheels. A zero rate block from ORD would help by pushing the axle forward an inch.

I think you need about 1 to 1.5 HP per kilowatt. I think the 18hp would work (assuming you are near what my gennie has which is 12kW) but would be almost maxed out at full power.
I wasn't refering to not doing the lift....I'm gonna do a 4" lift. I was more referring to fitting the 37's on the narrower 16.5 civi wheels I have rather than buying HMMWV wheels.

And you are correct, typically the rule of thumb is about 2 HP per KW of generated power. I'm sure the Hatz would run the 4 KW generator fine, but I would be concerned about welding while using the AC power also. That may be too much for the little Hatz.

The OO3a engine WOULD work, if the generator were a 4 pole. It needs to turn at 3600 RPM, outside of the range of the 003A. IIRC, the governor on those engines will allow 2800 RPM.

The Hatz diesel engines may work. Still you will need a flex plate to join the two plus any adaption for the mounting flange.

The governor setup on the M1031 SECMs with PTO driven generators can get in the way. Makes it quite crowded when replacing the vacuum regulator valve for the TH400 transmission. I got mine replaced this morning only after using a 1/8" aluminum welding rod to hold the 0.468" shim block, the rod had to be bent like a pretzel to get it around the governor obstructions.
Keith, my SECM body is the older style and I do not have the PTO driven unit. The generator/welder units in these older bodies are 1800 RPM so Kennys suggestion would work out fine, but I don't think I even have room for the 002a engine. Kinda cramped in there.

I see the er of my ways. As you can tell, not much with gensets.
No Error in your thinking, I just don't think I have enough space for one of those engines.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, This morning I did the Doghead Starter Relay Mod. Easy as pie.

Also did the resistor bypass for the glow plugs. Ran a new #4 awg high temp wire from the Neg (-) terminal of the rear battery (same as the positive from the front battery) to the glow plug relay post. I also ran a 12 awg wire inside the cab for some dedicated 12 volts stuff inside. I ran it from the 12 volt bus above the GP relay. Haven't got it hooked to anything as of yet, I just ran it into the cab and taped it off for now. When I hook it up I'll fuse it inside the cab for some protection.

I also decided to tear into the passenger side hub to see if it was repairable or not...I think NOT!

When you look at the pics you'll see why it pulled to the pass side when I was driving home. So I think I'll just spring for the new Warn Premium hubs. Looks like I have some tear down and cleaning ahead of me. I took the cap off of the drivers side, It's pretty clean and dry inside, but I'm still gonna pull the hub and re-pack the bearings and put the new lock-out on it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks