• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New 1028/1031

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crunchy! Better have a looksee at the bearings on both sides before the trip just to make sure. Tom, if you scrap any or all of the lockout hubs coming off, put them in a box for me. I'll trade or buy them from you!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checking the bearings was always one of the top things on the list to do before the trip. Although, the hubs stayed cool on the way home from picking it up. That being said, I'm hoping the rust and crud is just on the outside of the hub and not into the bearings.

Even if it is though, I'm sure I know where I can get new bearings for a REALLY good price. Working for the world leading manufacturer of tapered roller bearings has it's advantages.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil,

I tried to talk the wife into coming along, but she want's to take the time to go visit her family so I'll be solo again. I told her that the daughter would have kids to play with cause I figured your boys were gonna be there again. Oh well maybe next year.

Yeah, I still the the deuce, but I'm probably gonna do as Kenny did and downsize.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta talk to gimp some more. I was planning on going down 77 from my side of the state. But depends on when ya'll leave we may be hooking up somewhere

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil,

Yeah, I still the the deuce, but I'm probably gonna do as Kenny did and downsize.
I have not regretted selling my deuce for even a nano second. Even during the great flood of 2012, I was perfectly content with my family of full size Chevys. Even though the M108 is still here, it's never driven any further that one end of the yard to another.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made some progress over the last day or so. Yesterday morning when i got home from work I changed the engine oil out (Although it was probably new from the previous owner...new filter at the least). Also checked the fluid in the diffs. Still have to check the transfer case level and transmission level. I figured the oil was a good idea even if it was new, since the truck had only been drive about 30 miles in the last 9 years...until i got it.

Today I came home and tackled the daunting task of removing the crusty rusty hub from the passenger side of the truck. I started with the drivers side to verify I could pull the whole assembly as one unit. Turns out you can.

So I moved over to the rusty one, that I had been soaking with PB Blaster for the last 3 days. I took the small snap ring out, it was almost completely rusted through. Them I fought with the large one for a little while, but it came out too. What I was really worried about was the hub itself and the rusty axle shaft. A little heat and a hammer with something blocking the axle fully pulled out allowed me to tap the hub into the housing slightly. Another squirt of blaster and then I tapped the axle back in the whole way. Repeated the process a few times and then was able to get it free enough to remove it without much trouble. Luckily the bearings appear to be rust free...the rust was limited to the cap area.

While this was going on, FedEx brought the new Warn Premiums I ordered late Saturday night...now that's service. Had to go remove a tree the last storms brought down, so that was it for the day. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the hubs and clean and re-pack the bearings. Pics to follow later....maybe tomorrow.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Kenny, I am close to Summit, but I ordered these hubs from Warnfactoryoutlet.com. I figured as long as I had them by weeks end I would be good. Getting them as soon as I did was a bit of a shock.

When I lived in N.E. Ohio still and worked in Canton I used to drive right by Summit pretty much daily.

tourus

I have the same set up M1031. I know my wisconsin engine rus great. Why wouldn't you just keep the engine. the only real complant is the noise of the engine but I think a good muffler would fix that. I know my runs sweet and I like it . also when and if you do deside to sell you duce I would love to give it a loving home here in maine. I haeve been scouting for a while for a good one. my set all works great can weld and use the air compreesior at the same time no problem. when I got my truck the engine had not been run in a long time just put new fuel to it and clean the fuel bowl and screen and it turned over and started and run great I dont think I would change anything.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My engine seems to run good. I just think having a gas engine on a diesel truck is a little out of place. Why not use one fuel tank and one battery. That's the other thing I might change...run some battery cables from the front battery to the welder and eliminate the extra battery. I highly doubt that I'll ever be welding and driving at the same time anyway.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some more work done today. Pulled the front brakes and cleaned and repacked the front bearings. it turned out that the passenger side bearing, while not as rusty as the hub, did have some damage to them...so I had to send the wife for a new set while I worked. That ate up some of my time. But I did manage to get the hubs back together. Tomorrow morning I will clean the disks of the oil and grease and re-install the brakes. I have a few things to do tomorrow too, but I really need to find the time to tear apart the rear brakes and check and repack the rear bearings.

The rusty splines in the hub and on the axle stub made the new hub not go on as easily as I would have liked. But it will not be too bad as it will NEVER get to be in that kind of disrepair again. This truck sat for over 9 years.

When the place I get it from bought it from the Govt in 2003 it had 15321 miles on it. When I bought it in 2012 it had 15348 miles on it!

While the bearings are not terribly expensive, I WILL be getting myself 4 sets of inner and outers ordered at work tonight. I like to have spares around, especially if I get em for free.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brother Tom, you won't be needing to repack the rear bearings at all. They are oiled by the gear lube.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the habit of lightly greasing the rears on assembly, even though they are oil lubed.

Do you do this also, Kenny?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what you're telling me is...that when I pull the drums off, I'm gonna have a mess of gear lube all over the place...Nice!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what you're telling me is...that when I pull the drums off, I'm gonna have a mess of gear lube all over the place...Nice!
Jack up the side you're working on, higher than the pumpkin. Less messy.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack up the side you're working on, higher than the pumpkin. Less messy.

That's what I was thinking too, but it's still gonna be bad.

I may not even do them at all right now, now that I know they are not greased. I was only going to pull the rears apart to check/repack the bearings because the truck sat for so long. But if the bearings sat in oil they should be good to go. The brakes, at least on the front are still like new. Good stiff brake pedal, so I'm not too worried about the back brakes either. Plus nothing is leaking from the drum or backing plate.

I will have new bearings and seals with me on the trip to GA...if something bad were to happen. Working on it in a parking lot wouldn't be fun, but wouldn't be the end of the world either...I did it on my deuce recovery :-x

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got to take the truck out for a little spin today. I had to deliver my lube trailer out to Kips place for the first leg of it's journey to it's new owner. 171 +/- miles round trip. The trip out was non stop, and when I got there, I felt the hubs up front since I had just re-done them. They were warm, but not excessively so. You could hold your hand on them with minor discomfort. The truck ran GREAT.

Pulling a 3500 pound trailer, on the highway you never knew it was back there. Now, when you got off the highway and into the hills....that's a different story. I managed to do the whole trip on one tank of fuel and I almost fainted when the pump shut off at about 13.5 gallons. I tried to get more into the tank, but I couldn't get it past roughly 14.3 before the fuel wanted to pour out of the spout. I did the math, and that was 11.9 MPG, and that was pulling a 3500 pound trailer half of the distance!!!! I had the new tach hooked up, and I was running about 2850 RPMs the whole way. Even though my truck already has 16.5's on it, they aren't any taller than stock tires because I was still doing about 54MPH at 2850 RPMs by the GPS.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks