• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My (new) M1008...

vanaisa

Well, i made deal for new toy - ´85 M1008 this time. Pretty rough for sure but it suits better for hauling wood from forest, maybe plowing later etc.
Usual rust places - cabine corners and floor (damn sound mat and carpet). Otherwise original, 24volt, exept pushbutton plugs and sturdy winch.

I made this topic, because i am probably ask lots of stupid questions and need advices. It was sitting 1.5 years, so first questions are about normal maintenance. Most things are same as my M1009 but - brakes, axles and probably some stuff is different indeed.

Few pictures too, to make this post slightly more colorful :)Photo 02-07-2021, 17 17 52.jpgPhoto 02-07-2021, 17 18 22.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

M4 /M16 / AR15 / if the rifle fits wear it rack. All CUCV's have the rifle racks from GM factory except M1010. They are non combatant vehicles. But I like your truck it looks great. The upper bracket can really make your upper shoulder blade feel great if it is loose and hanging inward and you are doing heavy duty off- roading. Just set back hard and feel the pressure. Nothing else like it. Ask me how I know. The passengers side in the 1987 M1028 I am currently driving rattles and squeaks all the time. I fixed a few that done that by drilling out the rivets and using small 1/4" nuts and bolts. That was easy.

vanaisa

Thanks for information and warning. I have use for this rack. Probably just relocating drivers side-one to M1009. But first i must try to start it and get it home.
My checklist is:
* check fuses, power to IP, power to glow plugs;
* check glow plugs ohms (as i understand, without working plugs, it is impossible to start engine?)
* new fuel and air filter, some 20 litres fresh fuel;
* bleed fuel system, first from filter, then from injectors

Am i forgot something? Maybe bring along new electric fuel pump....

cucvrus

If it were me I would remove the glow plugs and get the fuel system all primed and ready to run. easier on the batteries and starter and you can manually and visually check the glow plugs with a jumper wire. make sure the tips only get red hot. I have had them heat mid shaft and that is not a good glow plug. just the way I would do it. Do as you wish. Nothing like seeing first hand if you have good glow plugs. Take Care and Good Luck.

vanaisa

OK, finally home!
DSC_2579.JPG
Came on trailer, whole day was raining. Tomorrow i try to start engine. Today one friend come to help me :)

DSC_2582a.JPG

First visible flaws: tank is leaking, drivers side cab corner is rot, same thing on floors, missing lights switch, few dents. Otherwise in pristine condition.
I am happy, i must say. (as usually with cars - first you are happy when buy one, second time, when sold).

Last edited:

vanaisa

Situation so far:
* fresh fuel, fresh fuel filter
* lift pump is working
* fuel filter primed
* glow plugs are working
* no fuel from IP return line
* green wire to IP "clicaty-clackaty" relay has no power, made wire directly to battery plus. very quiet click... still no fuel from IP return line.
* charging batteries again (well, front one)
* trying to made new battery cables too - those old-ones are hard and got pretty hot too.

Oh yes - previous owner was definitely electrician - look at this glow plug push button cabeling :D I correct that after get truck running.
DSC_2585.JPG

vanaisa

Took picture about this "clicaty-clackaty" from other topic:

38F0BD14-937F-4BFE-AFBD-ADBDE76B3382.jpeg

As i understand, i must take IP upper cup off and check is this solenoid working correctly?
If not, there no be fuel from injectors or return line?

I am not good at all with diesels.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took picture about this "clicaty-clackaty" from other topic:

View attachment 842193

As i understand, i must take IP upper cup off and check is this solenoid working correctly?
If not, there no be fuel from injectors or return line?

I am not good at all with diesels.
The green wire you circled is for the cold advance. The big pink one is for the fuel shutoff solenoid. Test that one.

Have a look at these, I'm sure they'll come in handy. Oh and at least your truck is grounded well :LOL:

vanaisa

Thanks!

Jes, big pink shows 12V.
Maybe i just need run starter longer? It ran great, quicker than my 12V 1009. But after some 5 times by 10 seconds battery was pretty much empty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks