• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My used to be M818 With Deuce C bed on it

bigelk50

Mike I just got in a bit ago for lunch and to check this, from using my needle scaler to compleatly clean my PTO so that I can primer it and paint it. Infact that worked so well I am going to needle scale what I can of my tranny and t case. ( They are flaking) I need to bust out my TM and get to know this winch in and out.

My rear end went out in my 2002 F-150 so I have been working on that instead of painting my truck, but it is going to be 90 degrees all week here, so I hope to get some painting done on the MV too.

bigelk50

Here are the pics with the doors back on and the mud flaps back on too. At the time I did not have a welder and the front flaps are off of an M813, so the legs were too long. I played around with the torch some and bent them to work. (ie when fueling the drivers side tank) kinda different and strange I know, but they work and look good.

I got my pickup fixed today, so I will get this old girl washed and masked off to start the paint this week. You can see where I got rid of any surface rust where two pieces of metal came together on the bed. Thats why there are little sprays of primer all over her. I will post pics of the paint job when I am done.

I am using Rapco current issue olive drab. (lusterless)

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is that a muffler on the stack ? If so what kind is it and does it knock down some of the noise?

vinny-socom1

Can you foward the part info on the fuel line ends? I need to do some work and that would save me an extra trip if I know what sizes they are. Truck looks great!! you can always mount the spare in the bed like the M54 5tons.

Thanks Vinny

bigelk50

Is that a muffler on the stack ? If so what kind is it and does it knock down some of the noise?
Cherry Bomb Glasspack Muffler 5” BODY, 12” OAL 4” IN / 4” OUT

P/N 87528

I have the stock muffler off and added flex pipe to connect back to the stack. It sounds WICKED AWESOME, but boy it has an ear piercing bark to it. I had that muffler laying around, so I threw it on there and it make it tolerable at low speeds. It is ok to use around my farm without ear plugs, but get it out of 2nd gear and you better have something.

bigelk50

Can you foward the part info on the fuel line ends? I need to do some work and that would save me an extra trip if I know what sizes they are. Truck looks great!! you can always mount the spare in the bed like the M54 5tons.

Thanks Vinny
Vinny I do not have the part number, go into just about any hose/fitting place. I got my fittings at my local NAPA. I took in just the original copper end and told them that I wanted to go to rubber fuel line and I needed the correct fittings. They are swivel ends if that helps.

bigelk50

Yes I did the paint my self, just before the rain came too!! I am working on getting pics up right now so check back in about an hour or so.

Painting it was easy. Used Rapco current issue OD. Mixed it around 20% with xylene. used a detail gun on some of the little things and a big gun on the rest. Painted outside with wind at times and it came out great. The hood needs another coat, but the rest is done!

bigelk50

Ok here are the pics. I need to actually paint the inside of the bed, the hood and a little touch up on the passenger side. I also need to take all of the masking tape off and de fog the windows. I was cutting it very close on the rain so I just put a 1" strip around the frame of the glass and decided to take off the over spray paint off later.

Now I need to order a bunch of stickers and do some stenciling. Then I will get my winch rebuilt and installed. Then it is on to making a center console and jump seat like we did in the deuce.

One questions I have for anyone is...
Can I paint my soft top? I was thinking of making the truck all one color. Right now it is a 3 color camo soft top.

Attachments

Last edited:

KsM715

If you want to leave the truck all green get a new soft top from ClintosGF, the tan top, I like the 2 tone look with the tan top on a green truck

bigelk50

Looking good I just put a dropside on an 818 I am going to finish painting it this weekend and put it up for sale its the last build for this year to much to do around the house before the cold sets in.
Thanks, You build some great trucks! I would like to see how it turns out. Seems there is never enough time to get everything done.

bigelk50

If you want to leave the truck all green get a new soft top from ClintosGF, the tan top, I like the 2 tone look with the tan top on a green truck
Thanks I like the look too, just not what I am going for on this truck. I will wash my current top and see how I like it (its very dusty). We went all green on my father in laws bobbed deuce and I really like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks