• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need hemtt Detroit Diesel 8v92ta mechanic near Sacramento

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 2/4/2020:
dropped the #3 and #4 mains. Bearings looked washed out just like the connecting rod bearings. Journals look great. Ordering a complete out of frame rebuild along with an oil cooler and 2 new connecting rods for the two cylinders that took the brunt of the damage. Still pulling the supercharger to check and clean it.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 2/8/2020: pulled the turbo and supercharger along with the air compressor. Had my first failure. I broke the top bolt of the engine lifting plate. I needed it moved to get the fuel pump removed. I ended up cutting it off. If I need to lift out the engine, I’ll find another way. Otherwise, ready to pull the aftercooler.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 2/9/2020
pulled the aftercooler today. no visible signs of leakage. Getting a quote on the complete rebuild kit plus 2 connecting rods, oil cooler core, spin on oil filter adapter and a rebuilt water pump. Bracing for price shock impact.

Attachments

JDToumanian

Hey Mike!

Wow, you're really digging deep into that Detroit! I've been away from here, got busy on other projects, and then my wife was in the hospital since November so I was a bit occupied, but I did see your PM that you got a new HEMTT... Awesome!

Instead of a spin-on oil filter adapter, you can get a direct spin-on replacement housing, this is for the 92-series only... See attached pic. It's Detroit part number 5104413. They're out there on Google. It's from HET and PLS trucks.

Boy those liners really got cooked. The 92 series is particularly sensitive to heat, and they don't like to be lugged. On a mountain grade, a good rule of thumb is that you should be holding your speed without the pedal to the floor. If you do put the pedal to the floor, you should still be able to accelerate up the hill. If you can only hold speed with your foot to the floor, or you can't accelerate anymore when you do floor it, it's probably time to let the speed come down a bit and drop to a lower gear.

Obviously you've already been told about Bus Grease Monkey... I really like his videos, it's amazing how fast he can do an inframe on a 92...

My HEMTT is down as well... Radiator replacement. It was dripping when I bought the truck, and I managed to find a NOS replacement. The leak mysteriously stopped for a while, but then it started gushing out a steady stream from the middle of the core. I'd love to attend the Plymouth event but....... I doubt it will happen. While the radiator is out, I'm doing a bunch of other work. Belts, hoses, water pump, air conditioning, block heater, coolant filter, and I'm going to paint the engine.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon,
OMG, it’s so good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope everything worked out well. Once the motor is rebuilt, I can check the tranny to see about lugging the engine Otherwise I’m focused on the rebuild. More updates are coming.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon,
OMG, it’s so good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope everything worked out well. Once the motor is rebuilt, I can check the tranny to see about lugging the engine Otherwise I’m focused on the rebuild. More updates are coming.
Mike, it sounds like your rolling right along. 👍 Mike, I just paid my fee for the April Plymouth event. I'll be at spot 119 at the Fair Grounds from the 13th thru the 18th just like last year. This spot has water & electricity, and my neighboors Dean and Steve have the Tri-Tip...........I'll survive.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 3/1/2020
supercharger and turbo removed.

Tore the heads down to just the exhaust valves. Ready for magnaflux.

Ordered Rebuild kit...just south of $4K...ouch!

Should start rebuild on Saturday 3/14. I’ll supply food and adult beverages to all wrenchers who come over and help.

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update 3/1/2020
supercharger and turbo removed.

Tore the heads down to just the exhaust valves. Ready for magnaflux.

Ordered Rebuild kit...just south of $4K...ouch!

Should start rebuild on Saturday 3/14. I’ll supply food and adult beverages to all wrenchers who come over and help.
Mike we'll make it on the 14th. PM me your address so I can Google it. Adult beverages at the end of the day. I'm not a very good mechanic when I'm seeing double. o_O

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks