• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M-1082 trailer transported Ft Hood/Austin to Arizona

agazza2

Need a M1082 trailer transported from Ft Hood or Austin Texas to Phoenix, Tucson or Flagstaff if this is on your route. I am fine with you pulling the trailer, and even loading it during your trip west. Trailer will be available as early as next week for pickup. PM me if you are going this direction and may be able to recover this trailer. Weight is 7,306 lbs

Attachments

agazza2

Hello! I cannot recover the trailer, but I can price this unit to be transported for you if you don't get any SS members to tow it. Keep me posted and I will help you out the best we can! Thank you.
I will PM you Justin, tried your website this morning for quoting, but it did not come up properly.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be picking it up from Ft Hood for agazza2, and storing it at my place (and yes, probably drooling on it some) until he can get it a ride west.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can come to my place and drool over it! :p

agazza2, does it have it's own light cable, or just use the intervehicular connector on the front of the bed? I've never looked at one in detail, but going by the pictures.
Either is fine, I have cables in standard length, and a couple of those mile-long ones for the M832/S280 setup.
I'll pick it up with a 931.

Cheers

Last edited:

agazza2

M813rc - You will need to use the inter vehicle cable.

mkcoen - after about 1 hour at your house you will be wanting one of your own :) Prices are a lot better on these now than what they used to be a few months ago.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoen - after about 1 hour at your house you will be wanting one of your own :) Prices are a lot better on these now than what they used to be a few months ago.
Oh I already want one of my own just figured it'd be cheaper to have all the fun with someone else's. I'm holding out for a 3 color camo unit to match the truck before I buy. The prices are already cheaper than the last few 1101/1102s that have gone through.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can already see I'm going to have to have one of my own. One of the M1095s would be cool too.

Do the troop seats fit in the trailer?

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully not the "cheap troop seats" you were telling me about.

Not that I have either the truck in hand nor a trailer but looking at photos it looks like the same bed. If that's the case then I'd say the troop seats should work. If you need some to modify I have ones that'll be coming out of my truck to practice on.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't even have a trailer! Don't know if agazza would appreciate me experimenting on his. :)

I tried to find a copy of the trailer manual, no luck except the "pay me an exorbitant fee" sites. I'll keep looking.

No, those seats are reserved for you, I wouldn't snake them from you.

Cheers

agazza2

I can already see I'm going to have to have one of my own. One of the M1095s would be cool too.

Cheers
The troop seats do fit in this trailer just like on the M-1078. Would be nice to find a reasonable priced set of seats.

agazza2

Trailer will be picked up today by M813rc (Thank you) and brought near Austin TX. Still looking for transportation west to Phoenix. I am ok with it being towed back this direction, or on a flat bed. Can be within the next month or two.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done!
The trailer is now safely sitting at my place. It looks complete and in great shape. Has the ladder in a rack underneath, and the tarp and bows in the bed. Even came with a bird nest (unoccupied).

This was the smoothest, most drama free, recovery I have ever done. If it hadn't been raining the whole time, it would have been perfect, which probably would have caused the world to tilt off it's axis, or something.

I budgeted an hour to get through security to get on base this morning (anyone who has been to Ft Hood knows why). I walked in the door at 0658, 9 minutes later I walked out with our passes. Super polite and helpful folks in the office, job well done Cpl Reyes.
And my pass is good for 90 days.

So, we arrive at LZ Phantom for a 0800 pickup at 0725, settle down to twiddle our thumbs and wait.
At 0735, a fellow shows up, asks if we're there for a pickup, and says "follow me". Leads us to the trailer, gives me a few pointers on how they work (remember, I couldn't find a manual for these to study beforehand, just some bits and pieces available on the internet). He also arranges for a guy picking up another M1082 to let me borrow his landing gear handle to crank the leg down to lower the trailer onto my pintle.
Well done Joe from GP. A very pleasant and professional performance. Thank you for answering all my questions like it was the only thing you had to do today.

I brought various length inter-vehicular cables with me, and a set of tow lights in case there were any wiring/light problems with the trailer. But, in the trailer bed was a brand new cable, and with it plugged in every light on the trailer worked as advertised. All my stuff stayed in the tool box.

We were off the base by 0815, and pulled over to make sure the trailer tires were up to pressure (the right one looked a bit low, it was). Then on the road home, with no issues on the trip.

The rain, of course, stopped when I was about five miles from home.

My older son, fresh off active duty with the Marines, went along to help. I hope that later in life, he gets as much joy out of doing stuff with his kids as I do with mine.

Allan, you are free to leave the trailer with me for as long as you need to, a year or two if you like. I don't mind. ;)
Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy one for myself. :mrgreen:

Cheers

PS - already found the handle for the landing gear, so now I can take the trailer back off my truck! (Was thinking I'd have to lift it off with my tractor).

Attachments

Last edited:

agazza2

Thanks for the great recovery to you and your son. I am sure he enjoyed the time spending with you during this recovery too. I have no big hurry to get it back to Phoenix, so you might as well enjoy it bringing it to a few events. If it it had troop seats and the top is good it would make a nice one to transport people with the M931 :). Look forward to seeing it in some the event photos from the club events :)

DanM7890

Great recovery for another member!

On the same note if anyone wants to buy a M1082 out of Bragg, I'm happy to hold it for a couple years for you.:p

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to get it for you, it was an enjoyable trip. You did a lot for us before you moved away, so it's nice to be able to do something in return. We miss y'all around here!

As soon as the monsoon lets up, I'll get the tarp out of the bed and look it over. It looks pretty manky, but that may just be dirt from sitting back there for a while. There is a tangle of bows to go through and see what you have, as regards completeness.

As regards seats, I already promised a set I found to Mark C, but I'll see what can be dug up. I have some of my own that I'm going to put in one of the M105A3s, don't see why they can't go in your trailer for the time being.

Thanks for the offer to take it to events, should be fun to drag it about a bit. :naner:

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not certain snce I don't have the trailer but I'd think the manual for the M1078 would show how the bows should be put together or I can take pics of the ones on my truck. Defininitly dfferent than a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks