• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M-1082 trailer transported Ft Hood/Austin to Arizona

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bow assembly will take 3 people and a few choice words to assemble. It's a first generation LMTV assembly with 3 bows and 10 pipes (5 between each set of bows) as well as 4 support bars to keep the tarp from trapping water (not pictured below). Of the 10 pipes there should be 5 shorter ones so do match them up first, this length difference allows the center bow to be offset slightly and fit into the center post on the trailer. The fun bit is putting all 5 pipes in one bow then shimmying two support bars into place (under some tension and they pinch easily) followed by lining up all 5 pipes into the other bow. It's a delicate balancing act of trying to get them all in at once and not letting others fall out. Once that's done you do it again on the other side! There should also be two long strap that go the length of the frame and have button snaps where it crosses the bows and bars, this is what keeps it from rattling apart. I assembled mine on the ground then lifted it into place with my wrecker to make things easier..marginally.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. From what I'm reading, the bed and all its bits are the same on the truck and trailer.

There is a mess of poles and some straps in Agazza's trailer bed, just waiting for a few dry minutes to sort it out. Hopefully all there. If not, then I have ideas on where to find some of it.

I have a line on a paper copy of the manual, one of those "I may be able to help you there" things, so keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, this morning I have been playing with...I mean checking out... Agazza's M1082. The bows are all there, but there are added bits.
The bars that I am assuming go in the positions marked on Fuzzy's picture, because they fit there, have metal slats across between them. I'm presuming this is added support for the tarp, not just an evil addition for the unwary the whang their heads on.

I will wait to get someone to help me put them up, I can see how this would be a juggling act that is likely to cause some frustration.

I was surprised at how wobbly the front bow is, particularly when compared to the relative stability of the middle and aft ones. It doesn't seem to fit well, is this normal? Is there something that should be there to stabilize them? Or will it be stable once the other poles and the strap are on?

Cheers

PS- Doh! Just noticed Fuzzy did mention those slats in his post..

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received a nice gift of a paper copy of the manual. The thing is 4" thick!! I'll start looking in there to see if it covers bow and tarp installation.

Cheers

PS -yep, it's all in there (Chapter 14). The gear goes the way I had it figured, but doesn't say anything about the wobbly front bow. From the drawings, there doesn't appear to be anything missing/different, though.

Attachments

Last edited:

agazza2

I was going to try and put the bows on the M1078 tomorrow so I would have a place to sit in the shade during the memorial event. But now after reading this you need Soldier B and C to help you. (the reason for three seats :) Might try and figure a way out to use PVC half sleeves strapped to the bottom of the sections they go into so one person can do this install. Not very often I would have a few hands around to help me.

Rory, we may need to take up a collection so we can have Office Depot/Max to scan that book and make an electronic copy for everyone. It would probable only take them 1/2 hour of scanning :)

agazza2

Does the M-1082 trailer have the same 4" pockets in all 4 corners of the trailer bed for the crane mounting? Just thinking through some ideas of a camper mounting and being able to utilize these holes for fresh water/black water pipes to go through and mounting tanks under the trailer. Looks like there is plenty of room to mount a generator under the side in front of the wheels too.

Might be nice to find the original shelter/container that went on the M-1082 or M-1078. Anyone have the NSN or model number for the shelter? There is always the Gichner shelter which would provide a low profile while traveling, and then be able to be raised when on the camp site :)

Attachments

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few of those 2.5 ton shelter units sold recently for a reasonable price. NSN for the 2.5 ton shelter top is 5411-01-559-8739. More info in the TM 10-5411-247-13&P. Digging out there are kits for mounting them to specific vehicles.. neat stuff.

M35A 2.5 TON TRUCK (MOUNTING KIT: 5411-01-514-2685)
M1087 2.5 TON LMTV TRUCK (MOUNTING KIT 5411-01-514-5489)
M1082 2.5 TON LMTV TRAILER (MOUNTING KIT: 5411-01-514-5487)

agazza2

Thanks fuzzytoaster. I had seen them come up but as usual they are too far from me. I guess I need to look at shipping prices. Also considering just a pickup bed camper that pops up with smooth sides so it could just be painted to look military :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can check into the cost of scanning the manual.
It's maybe 1000 pages (counting both sides), I had to put it into two large ringbinders, even my biggest surplus binder wouldn't take it all! I'll look for a bigger one at the store later.

The problem for a lot of us playing with our stuff is that often there is no Soldier B, and almost never a Soldier C, so we have to figure out a non-standard way to assemble things.
Another complication is that my age corresponds to the combined ages of 18-year old Soldiers A-C. :???:

I do think that with some creativity, one person could put the bows together. As Fuzzy said, the biggest issue is not having the already installed ones fall out while you try to put the horizontal braces on the other side.
I was toying with wrapping a bungee around them to hold them in place, but still allow flexibility. The straps might help there, selective tightening and loosening.
Your PVC half-sleeve sounds workable too.

I don't have a wrecker, and my tractor won't lift that high, so I'm doing this up in the truck bed.

I don't see mounts for a crane. Can you show me a picture? Or are we talking about the pockets the corner posts go in?

I did figure out how to lower the steel bits that fill the ladder holes in the bed. Not quite sure why such a complicated setup was necessary there. Maybe for carrying loose material, but otherwise why not just leave the holes?

Lots of room underneath for a generator and a water tank. The passenger side forward frame has the parking brake button and landing gear winch handle in the way, but some stuff could go over there.

Cheers

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having Mark's LMTV with the 2nd gen top bows sitting next to mine with 1g, I am ready to put mine in the scrap. What a poorly dedigned system. Almost like it was an afterthought at S&S.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, nope, not on this trailer. It is an M1082nothing, maybe those are on the later models? Someone with a later version will have to fill us in (or maybe I'll find the answer in this 1000 pages of manual).

So, cranes that mount in the bed....something else to try and track down! This hobby reminds me of that kid book If You Give a Moose a Muffin. :p

Cheers

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, cranes that mount in the bed....something else to try and track down! This hobby reminds me of that kid book If You Give a Moose a Muffin. :p
Not familiar with that one. One of the threads on LMTV upgrades shows a model that someone made themselves. The actual milspec ones are like gold plated hen's teeth so good luck finding one of those. I'm going to try and build one of the do-it-yourself models with an air actuated ram that can be hooked to the truck with a gladhand.

Edit:

Here's a thread started by Wehring for his 2k lb lift. It might be a little overkill for what I want to do but a good design. Page 3 of the thread has a video of more what I'm talking about.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?139181-Added-2000-crane-to-LMTV-bed

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the spot for the crane looks like. 4x4 square just inside each corner of the bed.
I'm certain that there are two of those on the end of the tail gate area next to each other and the ladder secures itself in them. The spacing is right, distance from edge of trailer looks right, etc.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm certain that there are two of those on the end of the tail gate area next to each other and the ladder secures itself in them. The spacing is right, distance from edge of trailer looks right, etc.
The squares for the ladder are much smaller (maybe 1.5" vs 4"). This one is also further inboard from the ladder holes.

agazza2

Maybe they deleted this option from the trailer so people would not lift something when it is disconnected from the truck and flip the trailer over. Put my top on the truck today in just over an hour using a ratchet strap after the first two out poles are in, then secured it tight one all the poles are in. Cannot see where the two poles with the push locks go though.

ArizonaGasMonkey

Had I known you were looking for one I could have sold you my M1082 its Green and in Queen Creek area.

These are a pain to load and transport as they are heavy and unbalanced.

Hope someone can tow it behind. Be careful DOT is on the prowl if you have no plates.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This hobby reminds me of that kid book If You Give a Moose a Muffin.
Not familiar with that one.
I used to read it to my kids when they were little.
Basic gist of the story - if you give a moose a muffin, he'll want some butter to go with it, then some jam to go with the butter, then sit down in the house to eat it, then want a sock to make puppets while he's eating, etc...

If you give one of us a truck, we'll want a trailer to go with it, and a crane to go with the trailer, and ..... You get the idea. :p

Cheers

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can check into the cost of scanning the manual.
It's maybe 1000 pages (counting both sides), I had to put it into two large ringbinders, even my biggest surplus binder wouldn't take it all! I'll look for a bigger one at the store later.

I have a high speed copier that will also scan to a pdf. I would be glad to scan and return to you and post here on ss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks