• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need new dashpad. Which brand has held up best?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the original color? Carmine red?
The original is a something bronze color I believe.
Can't remember the factory name at the moment.
A very recent thread discussed it.

The dash in mine is gray so it's been replaced at some point with a oem GM one.
It did not hold up well.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
off topic but what 2 decals do you have on your glove box door?
Red one is SEAT Belts must be worn at all times by driver and passenger...

yellow is just a good driver check list.

Gm called the color bronze but it's more like a mahogany color.. that color was a GM military color only.. not issued to civilian vehicles. that's why you see gray dash pads on cucvs that's because they where replaced.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going with the USA1 brand.
They will dye it to the original color.

Hopefully it will hold up. Time will tell.

Thanks to all who replied.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is doing well after 4 years but I do have a Dash Designs dash cover on it. It's an Arizona thing because it is so hot here.

http://www.dashdesigns.com/content/dashcovers.aspx

I do plan on a dash cover for sure.
I use the rifle mounts on both sides everyday.
My M1A NM will not fit in there so I keep it on the dash.

It's not a light rifle which is why I want a good pad. I know the new one can still crack but it should hold up. Especially with a dash cover on it.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I do plan on a dash cover for sure.
I use the rifle mounts on both sides everyday.
My M1A NM will not fit in there so I keep it on the dash.

It's not a light rifle which is why I want a good pad. I know the new one can still crack but it should hold up. Especially with a dash cover on it.

Just FYI put something under your rifle if you put it on the dash they dye the dash pad but it's mostly just some nice spray paint and can get scratched very EZ.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just FYI put something under your rifle if you put it on the dash they dye the dash pad but it's mostly just some nice spray paint and can get scratched very EZ.
Good point!
I ordered a dash pad also to help with dust and UV, but also as a "cushion" for the rifle.
I drive around the ranch slow so it doesn't have a chance to really bang around a lot, if at all. Rifle comes off when i get on the road.

New dash and dash pad should be here late next week.

I don't baby my rifles as they are tools to me but don't trash/bash them either.

Looking forward to NO cracks!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is doing well after 4 years but I do have a Dash Designs dash cover on it. It's an Arizona thing because it is so hot here.

http://www.dashdesigns.com/content/dashcovers.aspx
Mostly, I never promote or recommend products unless it's really impressive and these Dash Designs really are--- impressive. Got one for my Nissan Xterra and it truly is custom made and fits perfect. Cannot praise these covers enough~! Also, another item I bought at the same time was a sunscreen, as MuleMac01 suggested, and it too is custom made for Xterra; a roll-up type made by Custom Auto Shade. Fits perfect and very sturdy, made in America no less. Don't remember exact prices but I got mine from Nissan dealership for I believe about $80 bucks for both.

Will be getting these again when I finally re-do the dash for old 'War Horse'--- and I highly recommend them to others.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I finally installed new dash yesterday.
Its a dash design product bought from USA1 Industries. Built like "OEM". Steel frame, then foam, then vinyl.

First impressions when taken out of the box were excellent.
Looked great and seemed well made.
However........
Installing was a whole different ballgame.
The dash does not have as much metal in it as the GM one. The steel isn't nearly as thick either.
The trim mold was narrower on the passenger side. I had to file the trim itself a bit on the lower right side to fit.
One hole was completely off and had to drill new. No big deal but still it shouldn't have been like that.

After I finally figured out how the dash clips install, in the truck it goes.
First problem was a lot of trimming was needed on passenger end. About 1/2" was needed or the dash face would not have laid properly. That part went well.

The nightmare was the dash panel.
It seemed off just a bit as the panel never seemed to tuck in properly. Not enough and too thin of steel in the critical top left and right corners. Had to use clips so the screws could get a bite.
And of course the sprayed on color was not as durable as you would expect. Wrestling with the panel ate some of the paint inside the top corners. Can't see it now but still it should have held up better. Especially for what these cost.

It does not fit flush at the windshield. Looked like too much was trimmed off at factory.
Big gap on drivers doorpost. Passenger side ok
Will have to put something in the gap so things don't get lost in the abyss.
The vent covers installed nice and tight.

Overall I'm ok with it. Not happy but it will do for now.
You would think it would be a breeze install without having to trim anything or worry about if a screw will hold or not.
Im dreading the day when I need to take the panel off again.

USA 1 Industries initially was great. But once you paid, crickets.
Shipped over a week late. Tracking info came after pulling teeth.
No apologies at all.
I was going to buy several other items but not now.

Total cost was almost $500 with shipping.

Im saving the original GM dash. If I can somehow recover/repair it I will reinstall.

Pics to follow

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

First pic that top left corner just doesn't sit right.
No amount of adjusting would make it better. Almost seems the dash panel width of the new dash is just not enough.
Second pic is a helicopter led map light

First pic panel looks loose but it's tight.
Any tighter and the panel would crack.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Thanks for that write up Tinstar, had no idea DashDesigns made WHOLE dashboards--- and that they don't fit very good~! To be clear though, what I got from them is a dash cover, made of cloth w/backing held down by Velcro strips. It protects a nice new dashboard from sun damage. It is NOT the dashboard itself.

And I wonder if on your passenger side if you pulled the door's vinyl strip, if that end of the dash may tuck in better. And the dash trim strip looks like a clearance problem, had that problem once myself, fixed it with a bit of delicate die-grinder work. But it's hard to tell what it needs from just pics.

Haven't done this dashboard replacement myself but somewhere I saw a suggestion that you totally remove the bench seat before you R&R the dash because you will supposedly have better access. I have pulled my bench seat a few times before for other reasons and it's not that big a deal. You just need a helping hand to carry it out the door, passenger side of course.

Hope you can get a better fit with a little more work... (cringe~!)

My 1008 is non-op right now because I'm fixing electrical & gauge problems but after that's finished up, I'm due for this potential dash-nightmare myself, very soon... (to be continued)

reaper556

If it's possible I will have the original redone
I had one done in the San Fernando Valley, in CA, but that was quite some time ago. Excellent result.
I would imagine that there are still places that do such jobs.
This interests me as the dash in my recent 1028A1 appears to be a fairly recent replacement however it has 2 thin splits in it. I would love to get it repaired then dyed the proper color

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks