• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need new dashpad. Which brand has held up best?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you guys are interested, I can try to find out what the place I used is called.
Did a magazine story on it, so I should be able to find it in the binders.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Thanks for that write up Tinstar, had no idea DashDesigns made WHOLE dashboards--- and that they don't fit very good~! To be clear though, what I got from them is a dash cover, made of cloth w/backing held down by Velcro strips. It protects a nice new dashboard from sun damage. It is NOT the dashboard itself.

And I wonder if on your passenger side if you pulled the door's vinyl strip, if that end of the dash may tuck in better. And the dash trim strip looks like a clearance problem, had that problem once myself, fixed it with a bit of delicate die-grinder work. But it's hard to tell what it needs from just pics.

Haven't done this dashboard replacement myself but somewhere I saw a suggestion that you totally remove the bench seat before you R&R the dash because you will supposedly have better access. I have pulled my bench seat a few times before for other reasons and it's not that big a deal. You just need a helping hand to carry it out the door, passenger side of course.

Hope you can get a better fit with a little more work... (cringe~!)

My 1008 is non-op right now because I'm fixing electrical & gauge problems but after that's finished up, I'm due for this potential dash-nightmare myself, very soon... (to be continued)
I did pull the rubber back on the passenger side.
It was definitely a clearence issue and the end result turned out so so.
Since it was my first dash replacement I know I could have done a better job at it.
I was tempted a few times to take the dash outside and shoot it, but clearer heads prevailed.

Never heard about taking the seat out. Access wasn't the problem. Just the fit.

Oh well
lesson learned.
Will refinsh the OEM if someone still does that.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=4][/h]Hey, that was easy...I remembered the name (Just Dashes) and they're still in business.

5941 Lemona Avenue
Van Nuys, CA 91411
818 780-9005
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 (PST)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where was I? Well, I try not to ask too much from my brain cell.
Besides, I wanted to find out if your Dash Design was any good (just kidding).
Well hopefully the info will help someone who's in the market.

I will be calling the dash place tomorrow.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was for a '76 GMC, so in that sense they should be quite comparable in cost.
What that cost was, I haven't a clue. I must have asked, and may have included it in the story, but definitely can't remember that anymore.
I do recall that the price was lower than I had expected, after seeing all the work that went into the rebuild.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was for a '76 GMC, so in that sense they should be quite comparable in cost.
What that cost was, I haven't a clue. I must have asked, and may have included it in the story, but definitely can't remember that anymore.
I do recall that the price was lower than I had expected, after seeing all the work that went into the rebuild.
Curious but it doesn't really matter.
Will call tomorrow
If the company sounds as good as the work they do (from the website pics), then my old one will ship
Thursday.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One benefit of having the dash off is access.
So.......
I installed a new 12v power plug on the passenger side lower dash for my wife.
You can see it in the earlier pics when I was wiring it up.

It's for her exclusive use only. Not mine.
She absolutely loves it!

Something so simple and Easy to install, yet really meant a lot to her.
Happy wife.....Happy life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks