• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need new dashpad. Which brand has held up best?

jpg

They gave me a quote to restore my CUCV dash:

Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
$700 | Dash (include speaker perforation)

$100-$200 Color Match Fee
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping

jpg

You can ask. Maybe get us a group rate? It was easy to request a quote on their web site. They got back to me the next day.

As for me, I'm leaning toward the all-steel option. Maybe with challenge coins mounted in the round holes....

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN1165.jpgDSCN1172.jpgMy M1008 had the "steel option" when I got it, some 15 years ago, and still does.
It's a working vehicle, so it doesn't bother me. Made it easy to add a switch for the dump bed, too, which it had in its first incarnation.
The bed is since removed, and the frame shortened to make it a tug. Most useful, to me anyway.

Last edited:

jpg

My M1008 had the "steel option" when I got it, some 15 years ago, and still does.
I meant this steel option. The original dash stripped to the underlying steel & painted. It appears you have no dash at all -- an even more rustic approach than I was thinking.

steeldash.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, your steel option is definitely nicer.
I usually put a piece of cardboard over the instrument panel to keep the sun from bleaching the gauges even more, from the back side.
On the other hand, it was very easy to disconnect the irritating 4WD indicator light with no dash pad whatsoever.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey that's not bad at all
Agreed. That ain't bad looking but never seen that before. Where the heck do these come from?

And now I'm curious--- is that what the inner metal frame of the factory dash, sans the old poly-crumble-padding we're all trying to replace,--- looks like stripped 'nekid?

Which now makes me wonder that if these inner dash frames are just stamped sheet-metal covered with new padding, can't they be 'bent' or massaged, or clearanced to fit? You know, like good old fashion auto body sheet metal fender/panel fitting?

Begging many pardons here for my ignorance, but I've never pulled one of these to see what the heck they're about. Now, after reading your guy's posts this really got my curiosity up... maybe this weekend... time permitting, dash replacement nightmare begins...

carter262

I used USA 1 industries dash pad.. dyed to match the GM military color.. steel core with foam center then vinyl over it just like the GM oem stuff.
http://www.usa1industries.com/1981-87-fullsize-chevy-gmc-truck-dash-pad-oe-vinyl-style.html

Talk to Randy

here is mine installed in my M1028A1

View attachment 619745
View attachment 619746
I haven't got a dash pad from them but have bought other parts. Good group of guys. They actually borrowed my door panels to develop / match the mahogany color that was used in the cucvs. I got mine redyed for free for the loan!!! worked out great fro me. Color matches great!!!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if they still have any but if you want an original new old stock, light gray, Delk's Army Surplus had some for $400.00. you can try giving them a call and see if they will ship if they still have them ask for William.
http://www.delksarmynavysurplus.com/
Any surplus ones, unless fairly new, will be old and brittle even in the box I bet.

My original dash is being redone at just dashes.

When it comes back, I will be done with dashes for a while.
Will keep the new one installed now as backup or sell it. Don't know right now.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't got a dash pad from them but have bought other parts. Good group of guys. They actually borrowed my door panels to develop / match the mahogany color that was used in the cucvs. I got mine redyed for free for the loan!!! worked out great fro me. Color matches great!!!
They did mention that when I told them it was for a CUCV.
They were great......until I paid.
Then crickets.

I understand delays. Just TELL me about it.

I will not use them again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks