• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need opinion... I'm stuck

jake1086

So I went mudding with a bunch of folks today down in the river bottoms here in ND. I put a hole in my radiator and I know this is gonna sound silly to alot of you but ... should I fix the radiator or swap in a 460 ford... :)

I powered out with my michelin xl's on my bobbed deuce ALOT in the mud, and just think the extra power would be nice. I found a 460 that runs (at least while I was flipping it with my deuce...) and I can have the whole truck minus the axles for 500 bucks.... so

500$ 460 swap OR probably pretty easy radiator fix for under powered multi fuel...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're still going to need a radiator if you install the 460.

I honestly don't think you'd be gaining much with the 460. The hp is around 200-245 depending on year (info from google search) and torque around 400ft lb (again depending on year). I'd be willing to bet a turned up multifuel would come fairly close to those numbers. I'd say the 460 may give you a little advantage but it's not going to turn your truck into a powerhouse. A 460 is a pretty big engine in a pickup truck but is on the small side for something as big as a deuce.

Also consider the fact that your gas mileage is going to be awful with a 460. I wouldn't do it.

If you want to talk engine swaps lets start talking about Cummins replacements or maybe a DT466. Of course one of these swaps is probably going to cost quite a bit more than $500.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always helps to tell us what type of vehicle you have instead of make us dig for it, since there are four types of engines in Deuces, (gasser, 427 diesel, 465 NA multi and the 465 TD multi) (plus you didn't say what you where driving at the mudhole)

The 460 gasser replacement for the 465 multifuel is not a good replacement. But it may work for you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to take a simple fix and instead swap out the engine? Hmmm, like replacing your breaker panel in your house to fix a burned out light bulb.

Fix the radiator, check the injectors in the MF (make sure they are all correct), run the valves to make sure they are correctly adjusted, install a good quality pyrometer and turn up the fuel accordingly.

If you still want to swap then go with an LDS or DT466 and finally a Cummins 6BT in that order for level of complexity.

jake1086

I hate to come back to negative attitude comments (only 2) my buddy has a truck with combine wheels and tires and a 460 and military axles (not top loaders? but old?) and it doesnt power out like mine does. I have to down shift to first in my 68 multifuel turbo bobbed deuce. It will die with it in second and I want to be in at least second for the wheel speed to clean the treads. I run grooved michelin xl's from stazworks, awesome tires and rims. just need more power.

I think I will pull it in start simple, fix the rad, get a pyro and turn it up. If that allows me to keep the RPM's up in second in the mud then I'll be happy I dont want to go crazy just dont want to have to down shift in a mud hole. Had to have a dozer pull me out this weekend haha.

OK that all being said I can easily get a 460 and personally I think 200 hp is an upgrade over the what .. 130 stock??? BUT! if you still think thats a bad idea, ok ok I can see it... (not really but w/e) I also already own a totaled 7.3 powerstroke, bought it at a county auction runs fine already has a chip and intercooler... kinda hopped up I think it would also be a fun engine in the deuce. This one I wouldnt gain any speed over all (well maybe a touch) but the torque I think would let me not have to down shift in the mud.

But like I say I think I'll fix my rad the way it is and turn up the fuel a lil Thanks to you guys who have open minds.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You come here for advice, give us very limited info and then get upset with the answers you receive.

How do you know that your current engine isn't worn out? Have you done a compression check? Looked at the bearings?

Sounds like the 460 will be a great replacement for your needs.

Last edited:

jrobinson5093

If I was gonna swap in anything I would swap for the 7.3 powerstroke. They come factory tuned for 250 hp and probably 450 ft/lbs. If you have the entire truck for parts, and you are ok with some wires. It should be a not so difficult swap. And They will run on WMO also.

jake1086

I'm in the deuce modification and hot rodding forum I said I had a bobbed deuce with michelin xl's. Sorry I assumed you would think I had one of the two main multifuels the turbo or non, most of which from what I understand (unless you talk about the lds vs. ldt) have similar performance everyone else but you and one other managed to forward some sort of helpful, polite addition to the conversation. sorry you're not happy with MY answer :)

Back to the point of the thread, the m35a2 was "fully serviced" recently (cant remember the date) by the army. It has fine power compared to what people on here describe. No compression check done. How do you do that on a multi fuel anyways? But really it runs fine, starts great, revs freely.

SO! since you guys in general have talked me into at least trying to stick with the multifuel, I had better attempt to turn it up safely. Can someone recomend a good pyrometer? Yes I know I've seen this somewhere on here before and I can search if you insist, but I already have your attention :) Thanks in advance for any help or opinion.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While HP does matter, when you get into bigger trucks you need to pay more attention to torque numbers. You can take a fairly small gas engine and make some crazy HP numbers but a old slow revving diesel with less HP will out pull it every time because it will produce more torque.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you running the transfer case in low? I have taken my M109A3 with stock 9.00X20 NDT's to mud bogs and powered through way easier than some of the high horsepower lower body weight trucks. I never had a problem with wheel speed in 2nd, and after the mud had been worked a little bit I went through one to the doors several times in 3rd low. Stock engine with no turning up.

Diesels, especially inline 6s, make lots of good torque. Its your truck but I'm happy to hear you are willing to try out the multi first. As you and others have said you can bump up the fuel but must do it smartly to keep the engine happy.

I turned my first M35 up pretty good. I bought an Isso pro Pyrometer. I got the 24vdc gauge and sender.

welldigger

I like the aubriens (forgive me if I misspelled it) unit. It is available in 24v so no need to convert power. Also I believe you will surprised at the power increase from turning the fuel up.

jake1086

no ferro I didnt try mixing and matching the low tcase with higher gears I know I should have, but to get the tire speed I want ,probably at least high rpm's in second gear high t case, I think I'd almost need like low gear and 3rd or 4th maybe even? but if you say you had it in low and 3rd then I'll trust that worked well I'll have to try it next time before I go whining about no power :)

I think what I'll do is get the pyro installed figure out just how hot I can get it stock and use that as the danger mark?? or do you guys have a come apart temp you try to stay away from, I'd imagine it's similar to my powerstrokes? I try to stay below 1200 which isnt easy pulling a load but I try anyways.

P.S. i cant find these ... aubriens?? are they digital? I found something like that...

welldigger

Sorry that's my fault for not stating it correctly. I like the auber instruments (auberins.com) unit. Yes it is digital.

randini

The 2 engines are not even close in this setting. The Multifuel horse power peaks at about 2000 RPM, the Ford 460 (while I love that engine) is quoted at over 5000 rpm. In a Deuce, a 460 with stock gearing, is way underpowered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks