• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Build 5 ton

Atomic

Great build and well done on the fab! You said you would be using it to pull boats and vehicles out of the water. Do you or will you being doing a bunch of this and what has been the reaction down at the lake? Vids of that would be wonderful. Again great build!

:beer:

davidkroberts

thanks allot for the mastercraft seat bolting in statement. I have one and am going to be bringing mine back from south carolina and dont want to have to replace any vertebrate when i get back. This is my first m818 and im kinda looking forward to it.

The Jet

every once in a while you might get a lil crowd if your pullin out someone who has been stuck for a while. someone who has already had a few normal vehicles try and fail. as far as the putting the boats in and out of the water there isnt really a reaction. there are probly more than 20 other mvs and 6x6s at the lake already. lots of people use them for the same thing we do

NMDUECESWILD

My buddy had a Suzuki Samurai painted up like the General Lee. We called him Zuk's of Hazzard...lol. He has a vid or two on you tube from when we went out to Moab wheeling. Jim
Watched a couple of the videos, pretty cool, I would think those rock climbs would pucker you up. How do you think a duece or 5ton would do? I would want to build some extensive roll bars befroe a try. I think you probably need good weight to HP/Torque ratios to keep control, maybe someday I'll try that. I have driven thru there looks like fun.:twisted:

NMDUECESWILD

I can tell you out of 20 people and 14 rigs. (All Samurai's) only 4 of us and 2 rigs did lions back. If it wasn't for seeing pics, and tire tracks, and knowing it has been done lions back would seem impossible. For us it was all about gearing. Im not a big fan of heights. When we got to the top I let go of the wheel and said hey Art check this out. My hands and the steering wheel was dripping wet. I am so glad I did it. It was an experience. It took us 3 days to drive out and I would be kicking myself if I hadn't done it. From what I hear lions back is no longer an option. Someone bought the land in front of it which had the access to it. They won't let you go there now. I think the only thing that would stop you might be the approach/departure angles. It was a blast and I'd love to go again. Jim
Never doing any rock climbing to speak of, would a stock duece have enough power to attemt something that steep? Low range low is still not all that low. The video looked pretty scary, I know the sound was on but I was suprised no one said a word. Like I said cool video.[thumbzup]

NMDUECESWILD

Very nice truck [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Jim
Thanks. We took the truck out this weekend. Seemed to work good, after a coule days it got a little hot (205) so we starting checking a few things with the advise from a good friend. He was right about what to check we found water in the oil and lost some water from the cooling system. So I guess we either have some pin holes in the liners, bad head gaskets or a cracked head. Brought the truck back and will continue to work on it.

NMDUECESWILD

Truck turned out to be an oil cooler and not as difficult as we thought. My son took the truck to the lake and it worked real well. The winch worked well probably better than expected. I think we may install an ammeter in the cab because with the truck running you cant hear how loaded the winch is.[thumbzup]

NMDUECESWILD

The build starts when we recover the truck from Gettysburg PA. Left Albuqeuque NM on a Thursday afternoon flew to Pittsburgh, picked up truck Friday morning, 1900 mile trip back, had a few issues but rolled into town early Sunday afternoon.

1- Installed lockers
2- Packed all the wheel bearings and changed all the fluids.
3- built new rear bumper and bed with dove tail and a lower 5th wheel to hual our trailers.
4- Installed a new 6" straghit exhaust
5- repaired transfer case shifter and disconnected lock out solenoid
6- Modified front bumper
7-installed a few extra lights
8. paint inside and out
9- built a new grill over the existing grill
10- installed a 15KW whisper watt desiel generator( to run our campers when we go camping
11- installed some graphics
12-serviced transmission
13- installed CB

Attachments

Last edited: