• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Build 5 ton

NMDUECESWILD

Thanks for all the comments.

The seats are Master Craft supsension seats, I think they are made for some type of amored personel vehicle, they were new and came with the 4point seat belts, my son found them on E-bay pretty cheap. The seats bolted right in with the brackets they came with, they seem a little low but it does give you a little more leg room, we are both over 6' tall so we don't have any problem seeing. My daughter in law is about 5'6" and she can still see fine, the seats adjust forward good so she can apply good pressure on the brake, The duece we have has the stock seat and she has a hard time being able to apply enough brake pressure.

The winch is a Warn series 18, it is rated 18K and is 24volts, another item my son found on E-bay, it was new and we paid less than $1,000.

We did not change the wheel studs on the front we used inner wheel studs just like you use on the back.:grd:

NMDUECESWILD

Build is almost complete, We have checked all the fluid levels, changed engine oil and filters, greased everything, we allready packed all the wheel bearings when we flipped the hubs, Belts sqeeled(sp) so we tightend them up, We drained the coolant and seemed to have a some oil in it, we have been running it with water so we still need to drain and install antifreeze and change the fuel filter.[thumbzup] Below are the latest pics, Oh and I think we will install a dixie horn just for grins.:lol:.

Ladies and Gentleman Meet The General Lee

20110425_1.jpg 20110425_3.jpg

Attachments

Danger Ranger

I don't know enogh about it, but is the rear slider stok or custom? And will you be installing a bullet muffler or something so people (and you) can hear the Dixie horn?
It looks great btw. Do I spy a spray or roll-in bedliner?

91W350

I am going to venture out on a limb and say that even on the busiest of lake weekends, you will not see another like it on the beach. Nice fabrication work! Glen

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks for all the comments.

We did not change the wheel studs on the front we used inner wheel studs just like you use on the back.:grd:
The problem with this setup is the thimbles on the inside of the rims is that it spaces the rim FROM the hub, allowing it to flex and then crack, the rim NEEDS to be TIGHT against the hub, I you use the thimble alone with out a inner rim the outer edge needs to be turned down so the the rim fits flat, snug against the hub when the outer nut is installed

NMDUECESWILD

The problem with this setup is the thimbles on the inside of the rims is that it spaces the rim FROM the hub, allowing it to flex and then crack, the rim NEEDS to be TIGHT against the hub, I you use the thimble alone with out a inner rim the outer edge needs to be turned down so the the rim fits flat, snug against the hub when the outer nut is installed
I was told they made some without the shoulder, We took our time to make sure they all seated 100%, but I'm sure you are correct and it is a weak point, we will probably need to address this issue soon.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as far as comfort goes, how do you like the seats VS the stock seats? i thought about getting a couple of them but wasnt sure if they would be worth getting

NMDUECESWILD

I don't know enogh about it, but is the rear slider stok or custom? And will you be installing a bullet muffler or something so people (and you) can hear the Dixie horn?
It looks great btw. Do I spy a spray or roll-in bedliner?
The rear sliding window is stock, The truck is relitively quite compared to the duece. We used rollon bedliner (I think Hercules) from the local auto store, We used it on the bed, the fenders, side steps and the top of the bumper. We used the same stuff on our duece and it is great, tuff and does not come off. We used spray on bedliner on the front of the bumper and the aircleaner housing, its a lot smoother and not as tuff, looked real good when we first applied it, just driving around the chain on the bumper has worn some of it off.

NMDUECESWILD

Nice work. Your not planning on jumping that baby like the Dukes of Hazzard are you?
No jumping, we have had it out to the Rio Puerco West of town, there are a few hills, it does OK but we needed to air down and didn't take the time. I don't think my pocket book can afford to jump these trucks, but they work good at low speeds[thumbzup]

NMDUECESWILD

as far as comfort goes, how do you like the seats VS the stock seats? i thought about getting a couple of them but wasnt sure if they would be worth getting
I like the seats, Like I posted ealier thay look to low but to sit in them is not bad. I could not get my leg up high enough to get the brake or the clutch with the stock seats, I think they were designed for someone 5'8" and 160#s. The space between the peddles and the steering wheel is still too close but I think the seats help.The seats worked great and were a good investment, I think we paid between $300 and $400 for them.

466Navastar

very nice job !---mean looking and well executed
like the look of the lights on the rear of bed....but -dont you get hassled for no rear fenders and non DOT marker light spacing ?.....local PO-LICE here would write up both

NMDUECESWILD

very nice job !---mean looking and well executed
like the look of the lights on the rear of bed....but -dont you get hassled for no rear fenders and non DOT marker light spacing ?.....local PO-LICE here would write up both
We have put about 150 miles on locally with no problem. Not sure what the DOT marker lighting spacing is but we do have 3 yellow marker lights and 1 red marker light, one yellow one is at the front of the bed, the other two are mounted inside the fender well as is the red one, probaly not DOT but you can definetly see it at night, This truck is going to be primarily used off road, we have about a 2-3 mile stretch of 35MPH road to get the beach.

466Navastar

I like your spacing of the oblong lites better than DOT standard (three in center---one on each corner)....looks like a HD version of something on a hot rod....was just wonder'in is why I asked

With your obvious skills - was surprised that you didnt fab up some fenders for the bed to match the front .....but since your using it off road - guess the rooster tails will just go a bit higher now....:-D

very nice - thanks for sharing the build pics

NMDUECESWILD

My original thought was to build fenders wide so we could walk on them. Then we set the 101 bed on it looked cool being only as wide as the cab. We still used the diamond plate pieces on top of the tank so it's still easy to climb in the bed. We also were goig to put the running lights on the top rail of the bed but we got lazy and did it the easiest way to route the wiring.