• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce owner here..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What all should I maintenance on the wheel area, since I am this far in?
If that were my truck, I'd be doing the following:

Pull all 6 drum/hub assemblies and:

Clean and inspect entire area (shoes, hardware, etc.)
Inspect wheel cylinders for leakage at a minimum, rebuild/replace if you are picky or don't want to go back in for a long time.
Inspect flexible brake hoses and replace as necessary
Repack all bearings
Adjust brake shoes (see TM for discussion of "minor" brake adjustment).
Drain axle housings of gear oil and replace with new (GL1, 90W).

I think someone took that truck in water and didn't service it afterwards. Now you have to mop up their mess.

Edited to add: Those brake shoes look thin. I think the TM calls for a minimum friction material thickness of .333" but you should check to see if I am right. But they look thin, especially that second shot and the minor adjustment looks like it's pretty far out (meaning you're almost out of adjustment). If the others are like this, I'd consider going ahead and buying 12 new shoes, rebuilding the wheel cylinders, flushing the brake system and re-bleeding with fresh BFS.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you replace the gear lube in the differentials, I suggest refilling to one knuckle down from the fill port. Others suggested this to me, just passing it on. Welcome, from El Paso.

Dhallftworth

When I got the truck there were several different new seals under the seat. If I post pics, do y'all think you'll be able to tell me which are which? A game of name that seal? The pads are worn down to the rivets on this wheel, and I'm sure the others aren't far behind. The drum also has some wear on the inside, has any of y'all had one of these drums turned and smoothed back up?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I got the truck there were several different new seals under the seat. If I post pics, do y'all think you'll be able to tell me which are which? A game of name that seal? The pads are worn down to the rivets on this wheel, and I'm sure the others aren't far behind. The drum also has some wear on the inside, has any of y'all had one of these drums turned and smoothed back up?
Sure, let's give it a shot. Remember the value of free advice given on the internet....................... no refunds if we're wrong. rofl. When you post the pics, see if any #'s are on the seals and post them as well.

I've never had to turn a drum. I had one truck that needed the drums turned, on a hard stop at speed there was some noticeable brake chatter, like a warped rotor. Only felt it in high speed hard deceleration moments and no one in my town could turn the drums, so I lived with it. One other truck had a couple grooves in the rum from someone running the shoes too long and it put it back in with a new shoe for the same reason. I am currently looking for someone who can turn them. Hopefully it can be done without removing the hubs.

Look for shoes on eBay (pads = disk brakes, shoes = drum brakes). I'd also call White Owl. There's a lot of variation on M44 shoe prices.

ATPTac

I was just about to post a similar thread about what all I should replace/service when I go into my brakes. This has been informative and pretty much what I was planning on doing with mine. Replace all the seals, wheel cylinders, repack wheel bearings, etc... Hopefully I don't run into any surprises with the shoes or drums.

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tear it down and do a complete inspection. Good to do it all at once, change all the seals and the boots. Dont use GL1 oil in diffs, use GL4 or 5.

Dhallftworth

I dropped my drum off at a brake shop yesterday, and the called today to let me know that it has been turned and is like new. They said that they can turn them, but they have be complete with hub because of how the machine works. They turned the hub for $30, which I think is completely fair. The company wasn't sure yesterday is they would be able to get it on their machine, because they typically do bigger hubs like Freightliner or Kenworth. I'm taking my shoes to them today and see what they will charge to rework them too. If anybody would like the name of the company, they are located right here in Fort Worth, but I'm not sure is it's against the rules to give out the name.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Inner seal for either a deuce or 5 ton. Probably deuce. Can be seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75920&viewfull=1#post75920 They're the same front and rear.

2. Believe those are front inner axle seals. They should have a # on them, it's 75-something. They can be seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75928&viewfull=1#post75928 and here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75930&viewfull=1#post75930

3. That's an axle gasket for deuce. Goes between the front drive flanges and the hub and between the axle flange and hubs on the rear. Remnants of the gasket seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75908&viewfull=1#post75908

4. Those are the axle nuts and the retainers. Can be seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75908&viewfull=1#post75908

5. Those are the rings that hold the boots on. Seen here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-boots-stepXstep&p=75931&viewfull=1#post75931

I'm not sure is it's against the rules to give out the name.
This will be fine (to share the name).

What do they get on a pair? My surplus guy close to me, charged me $40 for the pair I got last night.
I have gotten lucky and bought 3 sets for cheap at swap meets and ebay. I once bought a complete set for $120, shipped (for 12 shoes). I don't know what the current going rate is, but I just looked on eBay and those prices look crazy to me. I'd start looking for a local reliner. I think judging from the prices on eBay, your guy giving you $20 a shoe wasn't too bad.

Dhallftworth

That's a lot of information.. I appreciate it all. The name of the shop is Big D Brake and Clutch off of 287 and Rosedale in Fort Worth, TX. . They turned my drum for $30 and relined my shoes for $16 a shoe. Seems like a decent deal. They can also do clutches and parking brake shoes.

Dhallftworth

I got it all reassembled, except for putting the tire back on at 2:30am this morning. Thanks for the help and TM's, if it wasn't for them, i would still be figuring it out. The axle seals were in good shape, so I replaced just the inner seal, which was hard, and both bearings. It was interesting adjusting the brakes, what do yall typically use to measure the distance of the brakes? I eyed it and feel pretty confident that I have the bottom set at 1/10th of an inch and the top at 2/10ths of an inch. Next is going to be replacing the back brakes and wheel cylinders on the back of the truck.

Dhallftworth

Pulled the rear wheels off of the deuce and found that there are no brakes on the back of my truck. I looked through the inspection plates, I haven't disassembled the assembly yet.
One of the inspection plates was bent beyond repair, is there anywhere to get a new one? image.jpg
2. Left rear brakes: image.jpg
3. Right rear brakes: image.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks