• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Glow Plugs Installed; Starts Worse Than Ever

Skinny

I never said I wanted to drive it that cold as it sounds like a grenade, it starts though no issue and no double glow cycles required.

gottaluvit

Well, mine is my only truck and I will learn what I must and prep her as I must, but she must start at -20 if need be. Prefer no ether and no block heater. The 5 ton I drove in Germany in mid 80s started every time I asked it to with no ether and of course no block heater.
I have stanadyne all season performance that gets added with every tank. It's supposed to prevent gelling and improve cold starts. I definitely have noticed the performance aspect of it. It runs like my 86 civy with s 350 in it.

cucvrus

29 degree cold start test.
The Mule. No block heater facing east.
20 seconds glow/wait light time. 3-4 seconds of cranking and fire in the holes. Bone stock 13 G AC Delcos All stock set up with everything.
Glow plugs cycled 4 times in 1 minute and then the cycling was over. In gear and on the road.
I went 2 exits east on I 78 at 75 MPH picked up some parts left it idle while I was loading and came back home the same way.
Still 29 degrees I hoped in Crown of Thorns M1009 No block heater. Bone stock 13 G AC Delcos All stock set up with everything.
20 seconds glow/wait light time. 3-4 seconds of cranking time and again fire in the holes
Cycled less then a minute and idled 30 seconds on fast idle and away it went. never did come back so it must be doing fine.
Off to work we go.

Another Ahab

Well, mine is my only truck and I will learn what I must and prep her as I must, but she must start at -20 if need be. Prefer no ether and no block heater. The 5 ton I drove in Germany in mid 80s started every time I asked it to with no ether and of course no block heater.
You're talking Fahrenheit here, right?

So you mean like SUPER cold?

rsh4364

Starting one of these at 20 degrees-vs- -20 is like comparing strawberrys to pineapples.If you want it to start at -20 you will need to prepare.I think Im almost prepared,but we will see.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Yes sir. °F It gets pretty cold on rare occasion here (especially the past two years) and sure enough I will need it when it is the coldest day of the year.
I'm guessing you might live up near the Lakes. I know for sure it can get cold up that way.

Are you up near that part of Ohio?

gottaluvit

Well, great news. Put glow plugs and injectors in and new 1/4" blade plugs on. Hooked everything back to stock on the relay, plugged the module card in and turned the key to on, waited for the wait light to go out and then hit the starter and she fired right up! About ten seconds passed with the voltmeter in the yellow and I heard the relay click off and the voltmeter went into the green. Back in business thanks to all who gave me instruction. Thank you so very much. Before the wait light would go out and I was told by the p o to wait til I heard a click to hit the starter. That did start it but on two to three cycles (which I didn't wait any time inbetween for since I knew no better). Then before this work, after it started it would click off and on several times with the voltmeter moving with each click. None of that now. She is awesome now. There is a serious learning curve on these diesels. This mistake only cost me an extra $50. I am blessed!

rsh4364

Please, please inform me what must be done! They started for uncle sam so they must be able too.
I added a Jatonka winter grill cover,rotella T6 and napa 1794 filter,hot-start tps-151gt-000 block heater.When I ran 15w-40 oil it sounded like it wanted to blow up.Love the t6.My 4th yr with a 1009 as my only vehicle so hoping for the best.I would like to add some temro batt. heaters tho. When US Army had them they just let them idle when cold.

Last edited:

AZK9

... She is awesome now. There is a serious learning curve on these diesels. This mistake only cost me an extra $50. I am blessed!
Glad that you were able to get things right! [thumbzup]

The way I figure it: The tougher the problem... the better the solution is remembered!

BTW... I learned a lot just reading about your experience! Thanks for the thread. :smile:

Assel

glad the truck is starting good now, I cant wait to try how my ´09 does in low temps, got some snow this night and now were about -3°C ... I have a new set of AC Delco 60Gs and new terminals here, rdy to be put in if the ones installed now fail.

Assel

I need to do a cold start vid aswell..but I wait for real low temps & more snow around here to try if my Truck still starts fine (the lowest was -5°C I think) did you turn the IP on a bit? mine does not smoke unless I floor the pedal when going uphill (the traffic behind me hates it)

CUCVLOVER

I need to do a cold start vid aswell..but I wait for real low temps & more snow around here to try if my Truck still starts fine (the lowest was -5°C I think) did you turn the IP on a bit? mine does not smoke unless I floor the pedal when going uphill (the traffic behind me hates it)
No i have not messed with the pump.
I will make a new one when it gets really cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks